Adelaide Merc Cruise Saturday 29th December

pastelgrey300D
Maybach Exelero
Model you own: w111

Adelaide Merc Cruise Saturday 29th December

Post by pastelgrey300D »

HELLO ALL!! PLEASE NOTE THE AMENDED TIME:

Hey folks, who wants to jump in their Mercedes and join us for Lunch and then a Cruise through Adelaide on Saturday 29th December?

Lunch will be at the Duck Inn, 393 Main Road Coromandel Valley from 12pm - I've booked a table of 8 so there are 4 spots left at the moment - please let me know if you want to join us for lunch and I can increase the booking if need be.

From there, we will travel to U-pull-it Lonsdale and depart on the cruise sometime between 2:30 and 3pm, winding our way down the coast through Brighton, Glenelg, Henley Beach and then finishing up at the carpark of BIG W at Cumberland Park. I've done this route before with the Mini Club and it was great for crusing! We should finish up sometime around 5-6pm depending on how long everyone stands around ogling everyone elses' cars. Any benz welcome, tell your friends (open to anyone, not just Ozbenzers). I'll probably have a sneak peek at the stock at the wreckers beforehand, so feel free to overall-up and join me too!!

Here again are the vitals
Who: Any Benz!!
What: Lunch at Duck Inn and then a Cruise from Lonsdale to Glenelg, Henley Beach and then Goodwood
When: Sat 29th December, Meet at the Duck Inn at 12pm for lunch, or meet at Upullit Lonsdale at 2:30 for the cruise.
Where: Lunch: Duck Inn, 393 Main Road Coromandel Valley. Cruise: Meet outside entrance to U-Pull-it self serve wreckers, Meyer Road Lonsdale (look for the Pastel Grey 300D)
Why: To finally meet all of you folks and admire these fantastic cars!!

Hope to see you there! I'll post details of the route in the next few days, people are welcome to join/leave the cruise at any time if Lonsdale is a bit far away etc!! For all you devoted SA members (especially Arkenstone, Hendrik, 4heckssake, Tony T etc etc) it would be great to finally meet you!!
Last edited by pastelgrey300D on Sat 22 Dec, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
1967 W111 230S - Horizontblau
1965 W110 190c - Mittelrot
1963 W110 190c - Custom Wagon Conversion (work in progress)
1983 W123 280E - About as modern as I dare to go (rolling resto project)
+ other classics
Tony T
Große
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Re: Adelaide Merc Cruise Saturday 29th December

Post by Tony T »

I reckon I'm in!!
We're trying to take off the week between Christmas and New Year and would love to meet a few of you lot.
See ya there!!!! :mrgreen:
Tony

450SLC, 280SE, 280TE, 300E
Hendrik
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w124

Post by Hendrik »

Oooh man, that would mean I would actually have to wash one of the Mercs :cry:
Anyway see how we go, although a cruise through suburbia sounds like the sort of thing I do just about everyday :wink:
CraigB
Mercedes Demigod

Post by CraigB »

Thanks for organising this David. Would love to come and catch up again but will depend on if I can get away from here on the farm with being busy with irrigation at this time of year. Will keep the details in mind.
Craig Baulderstone
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL Ruby
300TE Otto
350SL Gloria
350SLC Lurch
450SEL Boris
500SEC's...including Syd
560SEL's Foufou and Zac
4heckssake
M-100
Model you own: w123

Post by 4heckssake »

Well done David for organising this.
Sorry to say but I will be in Vic for the festive period. might get home that day but don't think I will make it in time nor fancy any more driving after a longish drive.
I'm still interested in a meal at the German club or where ever though.
4hecks.
Last edited by 4heckssake on Thu 20 Dec, 2007 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current fleet: VW amarok.
John Green
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Post by John Green »

OK, time to fess up. My wife and I saw this post and at the same time were looking for somewhere to go for the Christmas break. So we thought what a good idea just turn up and surprise the lot of you! You see I have a much more relaxed lifestyle these days, quite happy to take time off work and cross the country to atend these kind of things.

However, have now thought that it might just be us and pastelgrey300D who show, so decided that I should announce that we will be there :!: Not that I am expecting everyone to turn up just to see me, but it would be nice to meet some of you guys. About three yeas back we had a great get together at Craig B's house in the Hills (well i think it was Craigs house) and it is about time for another one. I get a chance to see the NSW and Vic OZBENZ members at there respective Club Concours's but rarely get a chance to see the SA members.

I will contact David Frada and see if he is interested in coming. Maybe we could all have a spot of lunch somewhere before we head off??

My other idea is to send out a bulk e-mail from our website asking if any of our SA based customers want to come, what do you think??
Kind regards, / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

John Green, Member Institute Automotive Mechanical Engineers

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.
BustedNut
Maybach
Model you own: w114

Post by BustedNut »

Hey Pastel, Tony T and Hendrik..

The ol' fella was really keen when I told him about this, and is very keen to catch up with some of the previous owners of his beast (I bought it for my father a couple of months ago from TonyT who, if I remember rightly bought it from Hendrick some 12 months earlier).. even better that Lonsdale is only 5 mins drive away.. (and he's promised to go to U pull it and pick me up a few bits.. :D )

Count him in.. But be gentle with him he's old.. :-)

Almost tempted to swing over myself, but too much on already.. :( Still, considering now that John has joined the fray, wouldn't mind meeting the bloke I send my cash to.. :-)

Regards

BustedNut.
BustedNut
Maybach

Post by BustedNut »

Sorry Hendrik.. It was 4HeckSake.. Too many sleeps it seems.. :-)

BustedNut
pastelgrey300D
Maybach Exelero

Post by pastelgrey300D »

Wow! Didn't expect such a response! Great news to hear you'll be joining us John - as for lunch etc I'm totally open to suggestions if you want to meet up for the cruise a bit later on - I don't think the cruise will go for as long as I thought, as we actually drove up to Lonsdale from Edwardstown in the Mini Club version, so actual driving time will probably be between 1 and 2 hours.

So if you want to meet at Lonsdale at say, 2:00 or 2:30 that's fine. As for lunch, I can reccomend the Duck Inn in Coromandel Valley as it is a very nice local pub and it makes for an excellent scenic drive to Lonsdale - but I reckon we would need to make a booking which I would be happy to do if I knew who would be joining us.

So lets throw open the floor - any suggestions are welcome and none of these details are set in stone!
David
+ other classics
John Green
Mercedes Demigod

Post by John Green »

You pick the Lunch spot, just give me the address and time, and I will show up. Will be me and my wife (Sandra) and our 4 year old (Jessie). Will be driving the mum truck....
156_5636.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

4heckssake
M-100
Model you own: w123

Post by 4heckssake »

Geez, look what I miss out on...a visit from the forum sponsor and a catch up with many of the SA ozbenzers including the new owner of my (any Tony T's) old 114!
Current fleet: VW amarok.
CraigB
Mercedes Demigod

Post by CraigB »

Yep, that was at my house John and it was a great day. I will try hard to make it and will bring my 116 down for a cruise from Keith if I can get my dash explorations under control and back together. Those flaps might have to wait for another day!

I will check with Jo and try and get back with a firmer number for the lunch booking.
Craig Baulderstone
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL Ruby
300TE Otto
350SL Gloria
350SLC Lurch
450SEL Boris
500SEC's...including Syd
560SEL's Foufou and Zac
BustedNut
Maybach

Post by BustedNut »

G'Day Pastel,

Could you post a 'firmish..' itinery so that I can pass it on to the ol' fella..

I thought you were meeting at 'U Pull It' at about 1300, but now it seems 14 or 1430 with lunch prior.. I'm sure Dad would join you all for a decent feed, just need to let him know what is organised and where..

Cheers,

BustedNut
pastelgrey300D
Maybach Exelero

Post by pastelgrey300D »

Could you post a 'firmish..' itinery so that I can pass it on to the ol' fella..
I've just updated my original post with all the details (see above). We'll meet for lunch at 12pm at the Duck Inn, 393 Main road, Coromandel Valley SA 5051, then after lunch we'll trundle up to Lonsdale and meet there around 2:30-3pm for the cruise.

Please feel free to join us for lunch, I've booked a table for 8 under 'David' for 12pm - currently it's John & his wife & daughter and myself, so there are at least 4 other spots at the table - and I can increase the booking if need be - just post a reply if you're coming for lunch and I'll take care of the booking!
David
+ other classics
Tony T
Große

Post by Tony T »

I'm sorry gentlemen, but I now have to work on Saturday. It's actually only an hour or so, but I guess that's the price you pay in my line of work. :(
I was really looking forward to meeting a few more of you lot as well.................
I know how hard it can be to find a time to suit everyone, David. But no doubt, you'll have a great day.................... even without me............. :lol: :lol:
Don't forget, there's an open invitation for anyone coming up to the Barossa though. For coffee or a quick wine tour. :mrgreen:
Tony

Hendrik
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Hendrik »

Right O, looks like me and the family will be able to make it. So that's 2 Adults and a couple of kids.
C ya there or be square.
John Green
Mercedes Demigod

Post by John Green »

Hello all, have arrived in Adelaide and spent today being a tourist, catch up with you all tomorrow for lunch and drive....

Hendrik
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Hendrik »

Hendrik wrote:Right O, looks like me and the family will be able to make it. So that's 2 Adults and a couple of kids.
C ya there or be square.
Slight alteration, the missus looked at the forecast and said something along the lines of "it's too hot to go out and do this sort of thing", that and some of her mates invited themselves over for a dip in the pool.
So I guess it's just me for lunch and a drive but we could have a BBQ and swim in the pool after if people are keen. Just have to grab some meat and a couple of salads (apparently girls like salads) and top off the gas bottle and we'll be all set. Anyway we'll discuss that over lunch. The Pasadena foodland does some great BBQ meat and salads.
CraigB
Mercedes Demigod

Post by CraigB »

This all sounds great! I will be hopping in the car in a couple of minutes and should be there pretty much in time if all goes well. I haven't booked and will try and call them. We will fill your spare chairs Hendrik.
Craig Baulderstone
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL Ruby
300TE Otto
350SL Gloria
350SLC Lurch
450SEL Boris
500SEC's...including Syd
560SEL's Foufou and Zac
BustedNut
Maybach

Post by BustedNut »

Hey Fella's

How'd it go?? Haven't managed to get hold of the ol' bloke yet.. All good? Shame I couldn't get over there for it, but had way too much going on this end.. I'm sure everyone would've had a great time..

Regards

Bustednut
pastelgrey300D
Maybach Exelero

Post by pastelgrey300D »

Well, it was VERY HOT - lunch was good, had about 10 or so people there. From there we went to Upullit where it was VERY VERY HOT!! As there ended up only being 3 cars in the convoy (I'm sure the heat and lack of advance notice probably kept the numbers down) we made an executive decision and headed down to the seacliff beach hotel for a few drinks on the balcony.

Official attendence figures:

- 190E (Hendrik)
- Craigs' Pagoda (left at the pub)
- W116 450 SEL 6.9 (Andreas)
- W116 450 SEL 6.9 (joined us at Seacliff)
- W123 pastelgrey300D
- The 'Green Machine' Van

Thanks to all who attended! Despite the extreme weather it was great to finally meet some of you! Can't wait for the German club in the next months or so!
David
+ other classics
BustedNut
Maybach

Post by BustedNut »

Hey Pastel,

Yeah, phoned the oldies for the 'New Year' call today, she told me that they never made it..

It seems Dad spent a little too much time in the sun the day previous (fixing a gate apparently) and had a touch of sun/heat stroke.

Apologies for them not showing, I'm sure they would have thoroughly enjoyed it.. (Mum doesn't drive, believe it or not!!)

Still, good to hear the lunch went well.. and beers anytime it's warm are good!! :-) Hmmm.. Beer..

Regards,

BustedNut
CraigB
Mercedes Demigod

Post by CraigB »

Thanks heaps to David for organising this! I had a great day and well worth the drive from Keith. Should be more of it - getting together and talking Benz that is, not driving from Keith! The pagoda had a good run down even though after my last run (when the valve adjuster let go) I was listening pretty carefully. Like David said, it was very very hot and a balcony with beer overlooking the sea and the action on the beach was definitely the place to be. Also I reckon that gave us more chance to talk than if we had been in the cars (the main reason the pagoda was left at the pub having spent 3 hours in it by myself driving there I much preferred the idea of hopping in with Andreas and having a chat and listening to his noises - his car noise that is!) What was Mr. G's verdict Andreas? Thinking about it later, there was no noise at all when we started so something is changing when it gets warm and I don't think it is more likely to ping when warm so if it is pinging something is changing in the timing perhaps.

And sorry your dad didn't make it busted nut but there is always another day.

Anyway, thanks again David.
Craig Baulderstone
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL Ruby
300TE Otto
350SL Gloria
350SLC Lurch
450SEL Boris
500SEC's...including Syd
560SEL's Foufou and Zac
Tony T
Große

Post by Tony T »

Good to hear!
I am sorry I missed it.
New Year's resolution.............. make more time to enjoy my family and my cars............. :?
Tony

John Green
Mercedes Demigod

Post by John Green »

Guess you can tell from my flood of posts that I made it back home.... What a trip crossed the Hay plains in the most amazing heat, the external temp gauge on the Viano was showing 40 degrees even as we left Adalaide at 9.30am and peaked at 46 deg all the way from Renmark to Mildura, we reckon it averaged 44 deg for the day... Next day as better with an average of about 36 deg.

When we pulled up at Euston for the overnight stay we were amazed to see strings of tar all over the front of the Viano which was being thown up at us from the melted road surface from the Semi's as we passed them. There is also an insane amount of tar that has been trown up on the car behind each wheel. many hours of cleaning ahead of me :(

It was great to catch up with you guys and also to share a meal with A Dow and his wife. I agree with Tony T, we should all aim to spend more time with freinds and cars....

And the noise from the 6.9, it is pinging under heavy load when hot, took awhile to start doing it, but when the temperature built up is did it real bad.