Bling lights

1986-1995 : 200TD, 200CE, E200, 260E, 300E 2.6, 300E 2.8, 300E, E320, 400E, E420, 500E, E500, 300CE, E320, 230TE, 300TE, 300D 2.5 TURBO, E300 DIESEL, 300TD, 300E 4MATIC, 300TE 4MATIC, E36 AMG
W124E280
C Class
Model you own: w901-905

Bling lights

Post by W124E280 »

I am trying with no success to buy a used RHS 94-95 smoked taillight to replace a cracked light that's letting in moisture. Have been quoted abt $300 for a new Hella lense.

Just received a used unit from a wrecker and turns out it's afermarket and the 'smoked' lense doesn't match the OE Hella - it's almost a pink tinge, not smoked grey!

Every aftermkt smoked OE style I see are really cheap quality, most noticable around the side edge of the tailight. Yet given that I already have a S600 grille and W203 C-Class wheels, there's no point being a stickler for originality. So I'm thinking abt the lights on fleebay (see link below) in either smoked or crystal. Has anyone here bought or seen these lights? Are they any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MERCEDES-E-CLASS ... dZViewItem
W124E280
C Class

Post by W124E280 »

Does anybody have any tips for buying replacement tail lights? Surely there is a way other than buying new OE, while still buying reasonable quality?
John Green
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Post by John Green »

They are OK if you want it to look like a Toyota. They dont have the flutes in them like the OE lights.

Did you ask my guys for a quote on an OE one? We do sell the Italian ones which are OK so long as you replace them in pairs, but yes your right they don't quite match. I can import a Genuine MB unit for $210.00 delivered to your door.
Kind regards, / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

John Green, Member Institute Automotive Mechanical Engineers

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.
Hendrik
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w124

Post by Hendrik »

You are gonna have to go by part number, I would expect that your tailight has a MB part number. Ring around the wreckers and insist that they make sure that their part matches the part you are after.
Or buy some of those clear lens ones, I have been lusting after a set for my 201 but every time I think I have the cash to buy them a bill pops up.
Or do the cheap thing and repair yours, a bit of superglue and away you go.
Hendrik
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w124

Post by Hendrik »

Bling Bling Baby
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MERCEDES-W124-E- ... dZViewItem
Mate they are fully sick.
John Green
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Post by John Green »

Mate they are fully sick.
yes they are and they don't meet the ADR's. Technically if we are presented with a car wearing these for a roadworthy it should be failed.
Kind regards, / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

John Green, Member Institute Automotive Mechanical Engineers

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.
W124E280
C Class

Post by W124E280 »

Yeah fully, brother :roll:

That's why I'm stalling on going there.

Because I really only need one taillight and because I've already $20 shipping for the pleasure of trying the wrong one, I am trying to get an OE or very similar. My taillight backing plates (inside the boot) are marked Hella, but the lenses are not. A E320 I saw at my mechanics have Hella clearly marked on the lenses.

I'll forward you the p/number John, but the only symbol I see on them looks like the Bosch symbol. Have tried yout guys, happy to try again esp if it's the correct taillight for that price

And all I want is matching taillights! That's why I'm almost ready to go bling bling...
W124E280
C Class

Re: Bling lights

Post by W124E280 »

Well I tried bling, and it wasn't my thing... the lights themselves are reasonable quality, but it only clicked when I put them on that they look good in isolation, but not when the rest of the lights are not the same crystal look. They are the type that have solid, flat-lense red with smoked, ribbed indicator/reverse lenses. For me it somehow makes the side markers and front lights look too old school. And to change them too will not really suit the car.

Found a pair of new OE Hella lenses on ebay for less than the cost of one OE from Mercedes locally so I'm happy now. I can go for slight mods like the S600-look grille and W203 16in OE wheels, but that's it.

Anyone interested in a pair of as-new bling tail lights?