Trim restoration

1965 - 1972: 250S, 250SE, 300SEb, 280S, 280SE, 280SEL, 280SE 3.5, 280SEL 3.5, 280SE 4.5, 280SEL 4.5, 300SEL, 300SEL 6.3, 300SEL 3.5, 300SEL 4.5
Rizz280s
E Class
Model you own: w108
Region: Victoria

Trim restoration

Post by Rizz280s »

It's time to tackle my thoroughly dented trim and I would like to know what I am working with.
The plan is to knock out dents, sand and polish, but I don't want to go sanding off any chrome plating.

Which trim is made of which metal?
Windscreen trim appears to be anodized aluminium.
Headlight housing trim is... chromed stainless steel? (non magnetic, seems to have a fine 'cleat coat'
Body trim is magnetic and therefore anodized steel?
Bumpers are chrome plated steel?

Help!
Bartman4800
SLS AMG
Model you own: w111

Re: Trim restoration

Post by Bartman4800 »

Steel can't be anodized. If it is magnetic, it is most likely chromed steel.

The yellow stuff under the bonnet is zinc plated (not to be confused with galvanised). http://www.aclassmetal.com.au/Zinc-Plating.php

The alu trim around the windows is mostly anodized aluminium. You can polish it. If it is beyond polish, the anodizing can be removed with acid, after which it can be polished.

Kent Bergsma has done some research in the best products to tackle anodized alu that has gone dull.

I thought the headlight trim was chrome plated steel. But if you say it is not magnetic, it might be Austenitic Stainless.

Bart
1963 220 Sb Sedan "Kermit" (Australian Assembly)
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
2012 W212 E250CDI
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!
2006 Ford Focus "daily driver"
2002 VW Passat V6 30V Station Wagon (SOLD - This car into a money pit)
2011 Kia Sportage "Missus commuter Bus"
2002 Mitsubishi Rosa Bus (converting it to a motor home)
Rizz280s
E Class

Post by Rizz280s »

Oh ok, I feared as much.

I started knocking out a small, sharp dent in the headlight trim and while it's a significant improvement, it's also created some tiny high spots that are going to be hard to remove without sanding down and buffing. If it's chrome-plated steel, that's not a good option (unless I pay to have it re-plated down the line).
It's such an awkward shape to work on!

As for the other trim bits, I suppose I will just have to test my skills on small areas to see if I can get a good shine. I'll try to keep do some before-and-after photos.
matthewz108
Ponton

Post by matthewz108 »

I'll be interested to see the method and outcome to treat the anodized aluminium trim around the windows...
1971 W108 280SE 3.5
1982 R107 500SL
1977 W123 300d
2023 X254 GLC300
Bartman4800
SLS AMG

Post by Bartman4800 »

Having had another thought about the headlight surround, they are actually an alu cast. You will see when you take it off.
Dents will be very hard to remove without cracking it. You can try heating them gently.

Bart
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
2012 W212 E250CDI
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!
CraigB
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB »

Don't know how i missed this.

Headlight trims are a casting - like door handles and what I thought was referred to as 'muck castings'. Have you heard that term Bart? They certainly can get pits in them like door handles. I have heard of people being able to coat them and treat them like chromed plastic but I think the main method is to painstakingly grind and fill pits, coat in copper and then rechrome. Very very expensive process and better if you can find good ones.

Boot trims and side trims are stainless. If your careful and put the time into it, you can gently dent knock, file, sand and polish like new. I think i have seen youtube clips of doing that. I have successfully done odd bits, but once again, if bad trying to find others a good idea.

Bumpers are chrome steel. So any dents, blemishes etc, to get right its really a rechrome and you are talking thousands. There is a place, I think on gumtree, who do stainless replicas. Much more cost effective and of course if ever they get dented after that, being stainless you can knock them and polish.

Some of the trim around screens is stainless but the one in the rubber and ones along the gutter of the roof are anodised aluminium. I had some stripped and it was a disaster..... then i spent many hours polishing them to get reanodised and they stuffed them again - maybe just a dodgy place. But others I have sanded and polished and looks good and then you just need to keep them polished or clear coat etc - incralac i used once. But that is proportionately a hard anodised coat over softer aluminium, so not the easiest thing to sand off.
Craig Baulderstone
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL Ruby
300TE Otto
350SL Gloria
350SLC Lurch
450SEL Boris
500SEC's...including Syd
560SEL's Foufou and Zac
Bartman4800
SLS AMG

Post by Bartman4800 »

CraigB wrote: Fri 25 Oct, 2019 9:35 pm Don't know how i missed this.

Headlight trims are a casting - like door handles and what I thought was referred to as 'muck castings'. Have you heard that term Bart? They certainly can get pits in them like door handles. I have heard of people being able to coat them and treat them like chromed plastic but I think the main method is to painstakingly grind and fill pits, coat in copper and then rechrome. Very very expensive process and better if you can find good ones.

Boot trims and side trims are stainless. If your careful and put the time into it, you can gently dent knock, file, sand and polish like new. I think i have seen youtube clips of doing that. I have successfully done odd bits, but once again, if bad trying to find others a good idea.

Bumpers are chrome steel. So any dents, blemishes etc, to get right its really a rechrome and you are talking thousands. There is a place, I think on gumtree, who do stainless replicas. Much more cost effective and of course if ever they get dented after that, being stainless you can knock them and polish.

Some of the trim around screens is stainless but the one in the rubber and ones along the gutter of the roof are anodised aluminium. I had some stripped and it was a disaster..... then i spent many hours polishing them to get reanodised and they stuffed them again - maybe just a dodgy place. But others I have sanded and polished and looks good and then you just need to keep them polished or clear coat etc - incralac i used once. But that is proportionately a hard anodised coat over softer aluminium, so not the easiest thing to sand off.
I think the casting is using a material called ZAMAK (which sounds a bit like MUCK). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak
It is a material widely used in cast dinky toys. Not particularly strong, but flows very nicely into a steel mould that does not need hardening.
Chroming is an issue. The tail light chrome surround on a finnie are also done in this stuff.

Bart
2012 W212 E250CDI
CraigB
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB »

Thanks Bart..... I thought you might know!
Craig Baulderstone
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL Ruby
300TE Otto
350SL Gloria
350SLC Lurch
450SEL Boris
500SEC's...including Syd
560SEL's Foufou and Zac
Rizz280s
E Class

Post by Rizz280s »

Thanks for the replies - as always, it's invaluable to dig into the trove of knowledge you have between you two!

I haven't made too much progress, but I knocked out quite a sharp dint on the headlight trim and it's not noticeable from far - a little dimply, but not completely bashed out of shape. The steel trim will be a piece of cake and (fortunately) the aluminium trim bits are in quite good condition. There is a big ding on the chrome bumper and I expect I'll be able to make a 80% improvement with a few good whacks with a hammer and a pine 2x4.

There is one issue remaining - the plastic backings on most of the side trims are stuffed - mashed on the edges, trailing loose etc. Any creative repair suggestions? I'm thinking I might just try to shape some silicone filler at this stage. God this would all be easier with big wads of cash!