The Radiator Transmission Cooler Denouement

1995-Present : E200, E220D, E240, E290TD, E300, E300TD, E200, E240, E250, E280, E300, E320, E420, E430, E350, E500 E55AMG, E63AMG & incl. blueTEC & BlueEfficiency, All CLS models
temagogrod
Model you own: w211
Region: New South Wales

The Radiator Transmission Cooler Denouement

Post by temagogrod »

I have '03 built E500 with the 722.9 and recently experienced that sinking feeling that comes with owning a motor vehicle fitted with SBC. I have a contingency for this time-bomb. My parents had borrowed the car to travel from the Mid North Coast to Sydney and called on their arrival to say they had to top up the cooling system. Hmm. I ask, 'did there appear to be a leak?' 'A leak?' I learned that about one litre of water had been added along the way, 'but everything is okay.' I learn that on the return journey the car 'did indeed shudder under load in third' from my father. Argh. I just finished rebuilding a 4l60E with a few upgrades and know how much that cost. I am beginning to think it's time to look for a boat ramp.

I ordered a Nissens replacement from FCP Euro along with hoses. Drained, filled and run too much oil to mention (no drain plug on the converter). New filter of course. I should add. I have read about having the oil tested to see if it is contaminated with coolant. If, you encounter this failure I can guarantee there is little need to test the oil.

Here is the catch. The radiator that failed indicated a manufacture date in 2014 and said it was a Hella/Behr. Did this mean the problem was not isolated to the Valeo? /

I was concerned. However, while reassembling I noticed the two cooler lines when clamped were under significant tension. Fortunately for me I was doing a dummy fit, just to make sure all was good. The transmission, so far, is operating as well as ever. I really feel for anyone that has to pay for labour. So, while I accept the issue with the Valeo relates to the cooler in the radiator tank...my curiosity now turns to my observation of a replacement thought to be reliable.

I love the car, but It does eat tyres.
John Green
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: The Radiator Transmission Cooler Denouement

Post by John Green »

As a general statement, all of the "known" european brands are nothing like they used to be. With some parts it is hard to pick the difference, with radiators it was easy. Behr shifted production to the PRC around when the Hella conglomerate brought them out. German production radiatros were in blue boxes and then the PRC productions ones were in blue and yellow boxes marked Behr-Hella.

When this happened we had a good stock of the German made products and couldn't believe it when the PRC stock came though. I can't remember the figures, but there was a very significant weight difference in the two products. You only had to pick up a box with each arm to work this out. As we used to operate with the European MB wholesale price list we had other details like the weight and size of each part, these price lists are published every six months and when the next one came out even the genuine part went down in weight...

However, having appeared to have just trashed brands like BEHR, I am still a believer. Sure their product has slipped in quality as they struggle to stay competitive, but the lesser brands have IMHO cut even more corners...
Kind regards, / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

John Green, Member Institute Automotive Mechanical Engineers

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.