Valves and Valve guide replacement help needed

1961-1968: a.k.a "Finnie" or "Heckflosse" models
190, 190D, 200, 200D, 220b, 220Sb, 220SEb, 230, 230S, 250SE coupe, 280SE coupe, 280SE 3.5 coupe, 220SEb cabrio., 250SE conv., 280SE cabrio., 280SE 3.5 Cabrio., 300SE, 300SE coupe, 300SE conv., 300SEL
cofran220s
Dernburg Wagon
Model you own: w111

Valves and Valve guide replacement help needed

Post by cofran220s » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 1:57 am

Dear freinds, I need some help again rebuilding my engine (M180.941). The car is a 220Sb W111 from 1963. I have to replace valves and valve guides, both intake and exhaust. But i'm very lost regarding the measurements of the valve guides, I've found out that are several different measures and I don't know which will fit. Has anyone did this kind of job before?
This are the valves that I'm buying
Intake:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/361073174159

Exhaust:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/362221612642

The valve guides I've found them in Niemoeller site and in this site, a bit cheaper
https://www.mbclassics.de/timing-camshaft_4_s3

Can any one give a hand?
Many thanks in advance

Henry Schuman
C Class
Model you own: I own multiple different models
Region: Other (please specify below)

Re: Valves and Valve guide replacement help needed

Post by Henry Schuman » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 6:57 am

Your Guides come in Different sizes and if your head has never been worked then you might be able to go back with Standard however you really need to mark and measure each guide as you remove them . If you do not have the removal tool and the Mandrels to reinstall along with the proper measuring tools and reamers for the head and valve guides this is something you might REALLY want to inquire at a machine shop . If any of the guides come out easily then you have problems that will need precise measuring and fitment.
Regards
Don't Squat With Your Spurs On !!!!

cofran220s
Dernburg Wagon

Post by cofran220s » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 12:02 am

Yes yes, i'm not doing this by my self. The car is in the work shop, and the engine is being taken to a machine shop for a full re-haul. However, the shop told me that I need new valves, valve guides, among other things. I suppose that the shop should tell me the measurements of the guides, right?
I've asked a few mechanics and some of them told me that the machine shop should be able to make the guides (this would be the ideal scenario), and I'm trying to figure and understand what to do next...
should I buy the guides from the websites? should I wait untill the machine shop inform me of the measurements?
The "down side" of all this is time. I live in galaxy far far away xD, and there are no spare parts available no more here, so I have to import almost every thing... so it would be a lot of time in the machine shop...

Thoughts?

thanks!!

Henry Schuman
C Class

Post by Henry Schuman » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 12:24 am

I have my own tools for this and do it my self but if your machine shop is familiar with aluminum heads and valve guide replacement then it should not be a problem for them to either make or get the proper sizes for the fitment. As I stated previously the guides come in several repair sizes and it would be advisable to wait until the machine shop measures what you have or will need to use and then order new ones or let them make them .
BTW those prices on those valves are Really Good so jump on them . Your 63 model is right at the end of production on the old style Valve seals (Rubber and Neopreme) and the Teflon so make sure you get the right ones for reassembly.
Regards

cofran220s
Dernburg Wagon

Post by cofran220s » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 10:13 am

thanks Henry,

I will check with the machine shop and follow your advise to wait untill they figure out what are the correct measurements. And yes, the valve price are really good, I'll buy them this week, alog with a full shopping kart haha.
Already have the valve stem seals (rubber and neoprene), and according the the workshop manual (which I previously check), should be the same.
I still need a lot of new stuff, piston rings, bearings, timing elements, all the gaskets, seals, etc etc...
the good thing, even though is quite expensive, is that I have found almost every thing I need to make a new engine
the bad thing, is the mini fortune that it is costing me T_T... but definitely worth it!
Hope to upload some pics soon!

Many thanks for the help my friend!!

cheers!

Henry Schuman
C Class

Post by Henry Schuman » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 12:21 pm

These are Really neat ol Bangers . I have two of them and really need to get at least one back on the road .the factory use to stamp

Return to “W110, W111, W112 Sedans, Coupes and Cabriolets.”