Look what I saw in Perth

1953-1961: 180, 180a, 180b, 180c, 180D, 180Db, 190, 190b, 190D, 190Db, 220a, 220S, 220S cabrio., 220S coupe 220SE, 220SE coupe, 220SE cabrio.
Tony From West Oz
OZBENZ moderator
Model you own: w202

Look what I saw in Perth

Post by Tony From West Oz » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 9:27 pm

Is anyone looking for a 190 in reasonable condition?
I was driving along this afternoon and saw this car with a note on its window, indicating it is for sale.
I do not know the seller, but thought someone from WA might want to check it out.
It is located on the corner of Albany Hwy and Carrawatha Ave Armadale.
Photos for interest only.
If this is your car, Please post a listing in Cars for Sale section.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

'83 W123 300D 325000km (Wife's car Josephine - sold).
'84 W123 300D replaced good OM617 912 with OM617 952 and enjoyed having good acceleration for the first time since first driving a 300D in 2002 - became engine and trans donor for 300CD Turbodiesel conversion. Now parted out.
'86 W124 300D sold (Wife's old car - sold )
'85 W123 300CD, 275 000km (Fatmobile) rebuilt turbodiesel from previous Fatmobile transplanted into 280CE (SOLD)
'99 W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car - Sold)
'98 W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car - Sold)
'06 Ssanyong Musso Crew Cab 2WD Ute (OM662 diesel and Auto Transmission)

John Green
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Look what I saw in Perth

Post by John Green » Sun 29 Apr, 2018 7:30 pm

Interesting car. Someone has put USA spec haedlamps on it. Also the bumper overriders are missing on the rear. Was there a price on it?
Inaugural OZBENZ national meet this September, all welcome to attend. https://ozbenz.net/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=25165

M.B Spares & Service 14-16 Lyell St, Fyshwick ACT. Ph 02 6239 1099

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.

Tony From West Oz
OZBENZ moderator
Model you own: w202

Post by Tony From West Oz » Sun 29 Apr, 2018 9:40 pm

There was. I thought that I had a photo of the page taped to the front screen which had the price and contact details, but I cannot locate the picture and I can't recall the price. I think it was around $7 -10K though.
Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

'83 W123 300D 325000km (Wife's car Josephine - sold).
'84 W123 300D replaced good OM617 912 with OM617 952 and enjoyed having good acceleration for the first time since first driving a 300D in 2002 - became engine and trans donor for 300CD Turbodiesel conversion. Now parted out.
'86 W124 300D sold (Wife's old car - sold )
'85 W123 300CD, 275 000km (Fatmobile) rebuilt turbodiesel from previous Fatmobile transplanted into 280CE (SOLD)
'99 W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car - Sold)
'98 W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car - Sold)
'06 Ssanyong Musso Crew Cab 2WD Ute (OM662 diesel and Auto Transmission)

C 111
Model you own: L319
Region: Other (please specify below)

Post by 70499 » Sun 29 Apr, 2018 9:49 pm

Brad.

SlowLife
Dernburg Wagon
Model you own: w121
Region: Western Australia

Post by SlowLife » Thu 03 May, 2018 3:47 pm

Had a look at this today, still needs a good amount of work, jumps out of 3rd, brakes need work as they hardly work, steering not tight, LHD headlights, no heaters, rear axle leaking, prop shaft needs overhauled and balanced, rear springs and shocks need done, the seller reckons it needs approx 6k put into it then the interior as well which is a fake snakeskin fabric on the seats that has decayed and needs replaced it has carpets but looking to be quite thin and have only been placed down so have folded up and look a bit faeces, some rust repairs have been done, some badly some done in fibreglass, the paint is nothing special but ok, a few chips here and there that haven't been fixed, a couple have been fixed badly with touch up paint, other wear over the whole body, side window trim has delaminated, front passengers is cracked fully through, both drivers side have been painted grey, drivers 1/4 light doesn't close, overspray on rear drivers window from painting trim, steering wheel was ivory and now painted black, car started and idles nicely (don't know it it was prewarmed and didn't get a chance to check before it was started) seems low on power seller said it was running lean at the moment, oil pressure guage was at max when engine was on, don't know if its an electrical problem or pressure problem.

Still thinking about it but not at the price he is asking for it, off to see another car tomorrow.

SlowLife
Dernburg Wagon

Post by SlowLife » Thu 03 May, 2018 3:48 pm

I forgot it's also a 57 not a 56, the owner seems quite honest as most of the info came from him, the rest is what I saw minus what was in the ad

Bartman4800
300 SLR
Model you own: w111

Post by Bartman4800 » Fri 04 May, 2018 3:15 pm

SlowLife wrote:
Thu 03 May, 2018 3:47 pm
Had a look at this today, still needs a good amount of work, jumps out of 3rd, brakes need work as they hardly work, steering not tight, LHD headlights, no heaters, rear axle leaking, prop shaft needs overhauled and balanced, rear springs and shocks need done, the seller reckons it needs approx 6k put into it then the interior as well which is a fake snakeskin fabric on the seats that has decayed and needs replaced it has carpets but looking to be quite thin and have only been placed down so have folded up and look a bit faeces, some rust repairs have been done, some badly some done in fibreglass, the paint is nothing special but ok, a few chips here and there that haven't been fixed, a couple have been fixed badly with touch up paint, other wear over the whole body, side window trim has delaminated, front passengers is cracked fully through, both drivers side have been painted grey, drivers 1/4 light doesn't close, overspray on rear drivers window from painting trim, steering wheel was ivory and now painted black, car started and idles nicely (don't know it it was prewarmed and didn't get a chance to check before it was started) seems low on power seller said it was running lean at the moment, oil pressure guage was at max when engine was on, don't know if its an electrical problem or pressure problem.

Still thinking about it but not at the price he is asking for it, off to see another car tomorrow.
One thing:
When cold, the oil pressure will sit at max.
With warm oil at idle, it will drop down a bit. But should stay above 1 bar/14 psi
Revved up, it should go back to max again.

Bart

If you are looking for something similar, I remember a 220S of about the same age (also a Ponton, but a six) for sale through the Mercedes Club of WA.

Get in contact with them if you are keen.

Bart
1963 220 Sb Sedan "Kermit" (Australian Assembly)
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!
2006 Ford Focus "daily driver"
2002 VW Passat V6 30V Station Wagon (SOLD - This car into a money pit)
2011 Kia Sportage "Missus commuter Bus"
2002 Mitsubishi Rosa Bus (converting it to a motor home)

SlowLife
Dernburg Wagon

Post by SlowLife » Fri 04 May, 2018 5:55 pm

Cheers for that Bart, even after a 20ish minute drive the gauge stayed up at max until I turned the key off, then it flicked to 0

It’s aparently had a rebuild recently, it did drive smoothly and idle well, just not much power, but that might just be the nature of it, first old merc I’ve driven, I’m used to my 1600 Baywindow Kombi which has a lot more power than the 190 did, could also have been me trying not to use 3rd as it was jumping out so badly.

Will try and hunt down the 6pot 220 and see if it’s still for sale

Bartman4800
300 SLR
Model you own: w111

Post by Bartman4800 » Fri 04 May, 2018 6:09 pm

I gather a VW bus would be slower than a 4 pot Ponton, but I could be wrong.

There is a 190 finnie for sale on the MBCWA website

http://mwa.mercedes-benz-clubs.com/

See attachment

Bart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1963 220 Sb Sedan "Kermit" (Australian Assembly)
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!
2006 Ford Focus "daily driver"
2002 VW Passat V6 30V Station Wagon (SOLD - This car into a money pit)
2011 Kia Sportage "Missus commuter Bus"
2002 Mitsubishi Rosa Bus (converting it to a motor home)

SlowLife
Dernburg Wagon

Post by SlowLife » Sat 05 May, 2018 11:27 am

I did see the Finnie on the club site, looks to be a decent price but it my wife (who this car would be mainly for) likes the earlier more rounded shape, not totally set on Mercs but do like the early shape of them

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w109

Post by Mercmad » Sun 06 May, 2018 11:13 am

A 190 in good order will drive quite briskly, which is why they were popular in the 50's. Certainly a damn sight faster than a kombi. Sounds like it needs tuning. But the price is way too high. A gearbox rebuild will cost plenty, upholstery etc is damned expensive and brakes? at least a grand to reline the shoes, fix any dodges, hoses,wheel cylinders, brake drum machining and master cylinder rebuild.

SlowLife
Dernburg Wagon

Post by SlowLife » Sun 06 May, 2018 4:14 pm

Looks like it's sold now, I had $4.5k in my head, he had an offer for $5k apparently, if I could beat it I could have it, I said I might be able to match it, but that would’ve depended on getting a parts car at a decent price, which I was trying to go see this weekend but can’t see it till sfter Monday now.

Hope for the buyer that all my worries don’t turn out to be a problem.

SlowLife
Dernburg Wagon

Post by SlowLife » Mon 14 May, 2018 1:35 pm

I'm not actually sure if its sold or not, the ad might have just been taken down as the seller is away as I did do a drive by this morning and the car is still under the carport, so I wouldn't be surprised if it came up again for sale.

I did go and see another Merc this weekend, it was the one I would have used as a parts car:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dawesvi ... 1143187522

It did come from a collection and that was in a shed for a long time ~25 years, 16 of those the owner still paid the rego and had forgotten he actually owned it!!!! It's been sitting in the neighbors front garden for the past couple of years.

It needs a lot of work, but it has all the parts the other car needs, it could be refurbed but it would need a lot of rust cut out and fixed, full paint job, full chrome job, the engine cooling system is full of crud so work on the engine, headlining needs redone as does dash.

The good bits were the interior, would still need the front lower done as the drivers side has split in a few places, but the rest seems in great condition, it has decent carpet in it, the door cards and armrests are in good condition, I'm guessing from the limited use that the gearbox and back end would be fine to swap over, but no chance I could check as it wasn't really able to be moved easily.

My thoughts on price for this as a parts car was $1.5k so with the 2 cars and a bit of time you could have a decent running car for $6k which I thought was acceptable.

But in the end, the other car I went to see at the weekend ticked too many boxes so am now the proud owner of a Humber which will be getting picked it up next weekend :)

Return to “W105, W120, W121, W180, W128 Sedans, Coupes and Cabriolets”