Will Someone Here Purchase Something For Me Off Gumtree In NSW And Ship To The USA?

If you have a non model specific technical question or some general MB related content, post it here!
Users are requested to Search through relevant topics using the "Search" function, before posting here.
Squiggle Dog
B Class
Model you own: w110
Region: Other (please specify below)

Will Someone Here Purchase Something For Me Off Gumtree In NSW And Ship To The USA?

Post by Squiggle Dog » Tue 22 Jan, 2019 8:51 am

Hi, I'm Scott and new here, but am the owner of https://fintail.org/forum/index.php and active on several other Mercedes forums. I have a 1980 W116 300SD daily driver and a 1967 W110 230 Universal station wagon project.

I've been searching for an August 1967-February 1968 W110/W111 fintail steering column that takes the wheel with the thick hub, from a column shifted manual transmission car for a long time and have found only one--this one on Gumtree in Five Dock, NSW: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/five-do ... 1193950484. I contacted the seller, but he's either ignoring me or isn't getting my messages.

I live in Arizona, USA, and am wondering if anyone nearby would be willing to pick it up and ship it to me. I can pay with PayPal. I realize it's a right hand drive column, but I think the shifting shaft (108-260-08-82) is all I really need from it because I have a late version column shift column for an automatic transmission, so I think I can convert it to a manual column by the shifting shaft, since it should be the same between left and right hand drive cars, just placed on the opposite side of the column. And then I'd just need to source a shift linkage housing locally.

If someone's willing to make an offer to the seller for $200AUS and then pick it up and ship it, I'd really appreciate it and you can let me know what your time is worth. I'm that desperate at this point that I'm willing to try using the shifting shaft from this right hand drive column and pay to have it shipped over.

I also need the plastic trim that goes around the recessed ignition switch, if someone has one of those, or the whole column itself they'd sell. One from a W108 may work, even though it's round and not square... and I think that the shifting shaft from a late W108 steering column from a column shifted manual transmission car would work. Thanks!

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Re: Will Someone Here Purchase Something For Me Off Gumtree In NSW And Ship To The USA?

Post by CraigB » Tue 22 Jan, 2019 9:12 pm

I'm a long way from NSW but just thought I would mention that I know Drew56cus messed around with finnie steering columns a lot when doing his conversion to V8 - might help in making sure you have the right part....... also you might be able to directly source one from someone on here. Good luck.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Squiggle Dog
B Class

Re: Will Someone Here Purchase Something For Me Off Gumtree In NSW And Ship To The USA?

Post by Squiggle Dog » Wed 23 Jan, 2019 2:37 am

Thanks for the response. I'm willing to try all avenues to obtain one. Worst case scenario, I have a late style steering column for a column shift automatic transmission car and can get an early style column shift steering column and can then cut the end off of the shifting shaft and have it machined so that it will slide into the shifting shaft for the automatic transmission and then put a pin through it, but that's so much work just for that part... and then trying to find a CNC shop or someone that knows what they are doing and won't complain about the job.

What's different about the shifting shaft between the early and late steering columns is the late steering columns are shorter because the steering wheels have a thick deformable hub like a W108 or W115, and the shifting shaft itself is made up of sleeved and pinned sections which will collapse on itself in a high-speed crash so the driver doesn't become impaled.

I messaged The Classic Center to ask if the part number 108-260-08-82 SHIFTING TUBE is available, but it appears they are out of the office for the week. I'm doubtful they have any in stock, but like I said, I'm willing to try all avenues.

Squiggle Dog
B Class

Post by Squiggle Dog » Wed 23 Jan, 2019 3:15 am

Here is a picture of the column on Gumtree:

This is what one looks like on the car (just flip the image so the column is on the right hand side, haha):

aleks001
Adenauer
Model you own: w202

Post by aleks001 » Wed 23 Jan, 2019 10:48 am

I'll also give you a slight warning on shipping. Shipping from Aus to the US is not the same as the US to Au. It is stupid expensive so make sure you know what your getting yourself into, it may not be worth your while. Use this link to get a rough idea how much it will cost you

https://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/cal ... ery-times/#/

The item your looking at is in Five dock nsw post code is 2046

If I was in Sydney I'd help you out but I'm in Brisbane. Maybe even get rough package size details and give auspost a ring because the size of the package is what will catch you out more then the weight I think. I would say be prepared for roughly $150 in shipping.

Squiggle Dog
B Class

Post by Squiggle Dog » Wed 23 Jan, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks for that link! I'll measure and weigh the steering column I have to figure out roughly the size and weight of the package. I can live with $150 shipping if that's what it ends up being (I figure shipping will be expensive, which I why I'd like to work the seller down from $345 to $200, but they won't respond to me). Shipping things from the USA to Australia has been frightfully expensive in my experience, as well. Worst case scenario it's really expensive, I could probably have the shifting shaft and shift lever sent in a mailing tube.

aleks001
Adenauer
Model you own: w202

Post by aleks001 » Wed 23 Jan, 2019 4:40 pm

Squiggle Dog wrote:
Wed 23 Jan, 2019 11:13 am
Thanks for that link! I'll measure and weigh the steering column I have to figure out roughly the size and weight of the package. I can live with $150 shipping if that's what it ends up being (I figure shipping will be expensive, which I why I'd like to work the seller down from $345 to $200, but they won't respond to me). Shipping things from the USA to Australia has been frightfully expensive in my experience, as well. Worst case scenario it's really expensive, I could probably have the shifting shaft and shift lever sent in a mailing tube.
If you can wait you can send it via sea shipping 2-3 months, that works out a lot cheaper. Yeah good luck with it all alot of people on gum-tree are a massive pain in the ass to deal with. I'm actually shocked that you found something in Australia that you can't find in the US, I've literally always had the opposite problem where everything is in the US but not in AU. Your right about US -> Au shipping I've just been lucky with a couple of sites like fcpeuro.com which shipped me parts usually for $35-$80 and they would arrive here in 3-5 days. I assume they must be getting huge shipping discounts on the quantity they do. I also suggest you try contacting them via facebook or something and ask if they can or know someone who would have the part, you would be surprised at what they can get you.

Maybe try contacting some of these sites as well (I don't have any experience with them but they seem reputable)
https://www.niemoeller.de/en
https://palmbeachclassics.com/mb-parts/
http://www.vintageautowarehouse.com/mercedes-benz-part/
https://classic-mercedes-parts.com/en/

Good luck :)

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w109

Post by Mercmad » Mon 28 Jan, 2019 7:42 pm

I hope you realize that very little of that column is suitable for your project? Every RHD part is wrong and is opposite to LHD parts.including the switch ,if you tried to use it would be upside down. the column housing won't work because the gearshift is on the Wrong side and if you tried to fit it,the steering lock will not fit. Having seen the other parts the vendor is listing ,I suggest you avoid this guy. :boxing: :violent1:

So you want a manual shift gear shift tube? Because i have never seen a manual trans finny here in such a late model version ,my best advice is to work with what you have. The shortening of the shift tube is no big deal,you only need to buy a short length of "hollow bar" (not tube) which has an inside diameter close to the outside diameter of the peice you have. cut the tube to the desired lengthy, fit the two ends into the tube and weld it together. But, if you really want just that part, I' would contact marc VanDeVelde at http://www.autopartsvandevelde.be/ The Boss Marc, is a pretty good guy who will have the part at a reasonable price,He speaks english so that is not a problem. :smurf:

Squiggle Dog
B Class

Post by Squiggle Dog » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 3:32 am

Mercmad wrote:
Mon 28 Jan, 2019 7:42 pm
I hope you realize that very little of that column is suitable for your project? Every RHD part is wrong and is opposite to LHD parts.including the switch ,if you tried to use it would be upside down. the column housing won't work because the gearshift is on the Wrong side and if you tried to fit it,the steering lock will not fit. Having seen the other parts the vendor is listing ,I suggest you avoid this guy. :boxing: :violent1:

So you want a manual shift gear shift tube? Because i have never seen a manual trans finny here in such a late model version ,my best advice is to work with what you have. The shortening of the shift tube is no big deal,you only need to buy a short length of "hollow bar" (not tube) which has an inside diameter close to the outside diameter of the peice you have. cut the tube to the desired lengthy, fit the two ends into the tube and weld it together. But, if you really want just that part, I' would contact marc VanDeVelde at http://www.autopartsvandevelde.be/ The Boss Marc, is a pretty good guy who will have the part at a reasonable price,He speaks english so that is not a problem. :smurf:
All I need from that column is the shifting shaft and the springs and bushings that relate to it. They are the same part numbers whether it's from a left hand drive or a right hand drive vehicle, as confirmed by EPC/XENTRY. The only difference is the side on which they are placed. I don't have any shifting tube from a manual transmission at all, and even if I got one from an earlier vehicle which has a solid shifting tube, the only way I could make it work is if I had it cut and machined to fit into the automatic shifting tube, but then what reference do I have to know that the length is correct? It also can't be welded, or else it won't collapse upon hard impact as the original design. I really don't want to "Mickey Mouse" any of this.

I can try Marc. I've been searching worldwide for a long time, and so far the ONLY places I have found a late style W108/W110/W111 steering column for a manual column shift transmission is this Australian Gumtree ad, and Old Merc Guy in South Africa. What I am looking for is exactly what I want.

Dean 560 SEC
Finnie
Model you own: w126
Region: Western Australia

Post by Dean 560 SEC » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 10:53 am

Im happy to contact the guy on gumtree and buy it on your behalf then strip and ship the parts you need - the only problem is i'm located in Western Australia.

Let me know.

Regards

Dean
Current Garage
1987 560 SEC (ECE)
1982 XJ6 Jaguar - (6.0L LS V8 and 6L80E 6 Speed conversion)
2007 E90 BMW 530i
2004 E46 BMW 318i
2012 Hyosung GT250R

Squiggle Dog
B Class

Post by Squiggle Dog » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 1:35 pm

Dean 560 SEC wrote:
Tue 29 Jan, 2019 10:53 am
Im happy to contact the guy on gumtree and buy it on your behalf then strip and ship the parts you need - the only problem is i'm located in Western Australia.

Let me know.

Regards

Dean
Thank you! Private message sent.

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 2:24 pm

good on ya Dean - I was thinking the same that our internal freight just adds to it and sounds like not all parts needed either - great if there was someone closer. Maybe Dean if you can at least talk to the guy and let him know - find out if there is a reason why he hasn't responded - some on gumtree will only take calls or only messages etc. Maybe once he knows he will work with Squiggle - maybe he will bargain as far as the parts he needs - but then i am cautious with Ron's comments re seller. If Ron's never seen one then this is a rare part!
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Squiggle Dog
B Class

Post by Squiggle Dog » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 3:01 pm

I don't know if there is a feature with Gumtree where it blocks buyers detected outside of Australia and maybe the seller wasn't getting my messages at all? I had the same problem when I wanted to buy some W116 headlight stone guards off Gumtree Australia--the seller ignored my multiple messages, but someone on W116.org was kind enough to pick them up for me and he even shipped them for free, which blew me away.

Yes, this is a rare part (only made for six months), which is why I'm so desperate as to pay someone to buy a right hand drive version and ship it across the world to me.

Even if I found one from a W108, which are much more common, manual column shift W108s weren't very common after 1967 it seems... so even those are scarce.

Bartman4800
300 SLR
Model you own: w111

Post by Bartman4800 » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 12:14 pm

Manual column shifts on a W108 were far more common in Europe.

Try ebay.de or ebay.nl

Bart
1963 220 Sb Sedan "Kermit" (Australian Assembly)
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!
2006 Ford Focus "daily driver"
2002 VW Passat V6 30V Station Wagon (SOLD - This car into a money pit)
2011 Kia Sportage "Missus commuter Bus"
2002 Mitsubishi Rosa Bus (converting it to a motor home)

Squiggle Dog
B Class

Post by Squiggle Dog » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 12:49 pm

Bartman4800 wrote:
Wed 30 Jan, 2019 12:14 pm
Manual column shifts on a W108 were far more common in Europe.

Try ebay.de or ebay.nl

Bart
I've already searched worldwide, even using terms in other languages, but nothing comes up. I've even searched classified ad sites in Germany. They are always either the early style columns, or an automatic or floor shift column.

Squiggle Dog
B Class

Post by Squiggle Dog » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 12:50 pm

Right now Dean is contacting the seller on Gumtree and looking into it for me, so hopefully it works out.

drew56cus
Große
Model you own: w111
Region: Queensland

Post by drew56cus » Sat 02 Feb, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi Scott!
How did i miss this thread? I just noticed squiggledog here after looking at your new fintail site!
Anyway, I am also happy to do what Dean has already offered - though perhaps i can go one step further. I actually made a hybrid W108-W111 steering column for my V8 finny, as i could only get a steering boss for me Nardi wheel that suits the shorter 108 column. Well, guess what - I have another Nardi wheel and W111 coupe that i would like to put it in, so I was going to repeat my modified hybrid. My coupe is running a floor shift manual so I was going to weld up the column shift hole. I could buy the column, strip the bits off that you want, and use my spare w111 and W108 columns to end up with a result that works for me. Without going through what you are trying to do in detail (I am not sure if you want the gear shift shaft, steering shaft, or both), do you think what i am suggesting will work? You can email me via my email address that you would have from the heckflosse group chats.
Cheers, Drew
Drew
'65 220SE 4.5 Frankenbenz finnie :)
'65 220SE/C (#1 project - Tenorite grey)
'64 300SE/C (#2 project)
'66 250SE/C (#3 project)

Squiggle Dog
B Class

Post by Squiggle Dog » Fri 08 Mar, 2019 1:42 pm

The Eagle has landed! Thanks, drew56cus and Dean 560 SEC! This is a shifting shaft from a late version right hand drive W111 manual transmission column shift steering column (the one that was on Gumtree). It's going to replace the shifting shaft in the late version left hand drive W110/W111 automatic transmission column shift column that I got from Scoot to convert it to a manual transmission column. There is one more item checked off my list.

Return to “General Mercedes-Benz related.”