Classic EV?

Discuss Things like Engine Swaps / drivetrain mods / Interior changes etc.
Have You Got a Modified Mercedes? Show it off here. Pics welcome.
300TDT
M-100
Model you own: w123

Classic EV?

Post by 300TDT » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 12:57 pm

I know there was a guy on here that was putting an electric motor into a C123 in Perth a few years ago.
Does anyone know what happened to that?

There are a few companies in UK, USA etc that are putting electric motors into classic cars (VW Kombi, Range Rover, Fiat bambino, BMW 2002, etc).
Is there anything similar here in Aus?
it might be time to consider how to keep our old cars when the world has gone electric...
Last edited by 300TDT on Wed 24 Jan, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'82 300TD Turbo : '83 model, LHD, auto, anthracite grey, cream cloth, chassis: 380,000km, engine: 195,000km.

Ivanerrol
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w204

Re: EV?

Post by Ivanerrol » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 1:07 pm

Don't hold your breath.
By the time of electric vehicles we will be long gone.

F.W.I.W. I met a battery company guy a few weeks ago. He was driving a Mercedes Benz C300e - e for electric.
W211 - E240
W204 - C280
Departed
W202 - C200, C180, C180
W126 - 380SE , 380SE (Ex SA Import), 560SEL
W124 - 300e, 260e (ex Japan)
W111 220s (Indonesia) 4 speed manual column shift
W123 230
W116 450SEL
W140 420SEL
W210 E240, E240
W209 CLK 240
W201 190e 2.6 (ex U.K.)

Bartman4800
300 SLR
Model you own: w111

Re: EV?

Post by Bartman4800 » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 1:37 pm

There is are a few companies in Perth that sell all the parts to convert just about any vehicle into an EV.

A mate of mine converted a Hilux ute into an EV.
The guy from the shop convinced him to remove his gearbox.
I argued that having a gearbox has so many advantages, mostly the ability to cope with reaction forces and being able to change the speed range.

He went without the gearbox, and it resulted in an extremely fast acceleration and not much of top speed or action radius....

It's fairly easy to power the car with an electric motor, however getting the auxiliaries to work is far harder.
You now have to find an electric driven power steering pump, aircon, vacuum pump and a few more...

Bart
1963 220 Sb Sedan "Kermit" (Australian Assembly)
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!
2006 Ford Focus "daily driver"
2002 VW Passat V6 30V Station Wagon (SOLD - This car into a money pit)
2011 Kia Sportage "Missus commuter Bus"
2002 Mitsubishi Rosa Bus (converting it to a motor home)

C 111
Model you own: L319
Region: Other (please specify below)

Re: Classic EV?

Post by 70499 » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 7:25 pm

I noticed on the road today a van with EV car 24/7 Roadside Assist.

So it looks like old and "new" technology all have some similar problems.
Brad.

unheardofinstruments
Dernburg Wagon

Post by unheardofinstruments » Sun 04 Mar, 2018 2:52 am

I have a carry van ev and am working on a 91 rx7 savanah (not quite vintage rego ready yet) both with lithium packs 18000 and 38000Ah respectively. The rx7 has advanced magnetics 9.1" dc motor (2k) 1000A controller (1.6k) at 144V it has about 410Nm of torque from standstill so should be good range and very fast whereas the carry is light so decent range too if I go slow (best to do so anyhow given the handling and the drag coefficient is bricklike) and it's a bit more useful for missions. I have a friend who wants me to do her Austin A40 1950 ute so I have a Nissan Leaf battery pack re-purposed for that brewing up too. None of the donor vehicles ran and were very cheap. Looking forward to no hoses, plugs, filter, oil, coolant, exhaust, heat, sound, fuel and having one moving part in the motor. Seems like a no braner to me now we have the batteries we always dreamed of and stuff like graphene supercaps in the wings. the EV age is here already, in 20 years no more production of i.c.e and 20 years after that no registering them either, that is the plan. I want to do a porsche 924 martini that has been on the backburner for a few years next because it is the most fun to drive of any car ever in my experience and with gobs of silent power it will be awesome. My mercs I love but they are a bit heavy (therefore high rolling resistance) for good range as an EV but aero mods are incredibly effective. I paid 10k (now it's get-able for 6-ish like the 120V of leaf cells the carry got) for the big battery pack but that should do at least 20 years and pay for itself in two. (I burn a bit of fuel out here in the country.)

unheardofinstruments
Dernburg Wagon

Post by unheardofinstruments » Sun 04 Mar, 2018 3:40 am

To the advantage of old classics as nicer looking donors is power steering and heaps of wiring is not necessarily as much of a feature as with modern cars so a simple glorified golf cart is adequate simplicity. What you need other than the (2-3k) motor and controller is a 12V vacuum pump and reservoir and vac switch to make a light come on to tell you the brake booster is not working for a lack of nothingness, an emergency cutoff big red button nearby for freaky stuff, 12V hairdryer for demisting, g-force activated cutoff switch like for airbags for the chunky relay you need to shut off in case of an accident, big orange coloured cabling so if you crash the rescue guys know what not to cut, a few simple interlocks so you don't turn on the key with the accelerator down or drive off with it plugged into the wall, a pack voltage to 14.2V DC to DC converter to be your alternator impersonator, otherwise watch you don't go too heavy or shift the weight too far, make sturdy battery boxes and do good electric wiring and install a battery managment system to balance the cells and you have the current national code of practice for alternatively powered vehicles (NCOP14) covered in a nutshell, about 800 bucks to engineer it and you are away. Vintage modified club rego on the log books 46 buck including insurance. about 3 bucks to fill up for your 250k range or less off peak or free if you have waste composting preheater woodchip and lawn clipping powered solar parabolic rankine cycle sterling engined compound steam engine heat pump peltier diode, syngas biochar generator setup like I use in my dreams you could distill ethanol for fun and profit with the waste heat from the shower and use your urine to power a tesla wall and save the earth at the same time. In america the government gives you an 8000 dollar rebate when you register an electric car but now I am dreaming... Thanks to EV works in WA their side has charge points up and down for years already we in the east are far along now too.

merc-304
Finnie
Model you own: w126

Post by merc-304 » Sun 04 Mar, 2018 9:06 am

Mighty Boy EV.com - a conversion from few years ago but a good read.
380 SEC

Rizz280s
C Class
Model you own: w108
Region: Western Australia

Post by Rizz280s » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 12:28 am

I've gotten excited about EV conversions many times and stayed up late through the night trying to convince myself it would be worth it, but every time I come to the same conclusion - all the gear is too expensive at this stage for a car I dont drive often enough. Thanks for the comprehensive checklist though!

$10k for a minimum-requirement battery.
$3k for a decent motor (in Aus)
Another $2k for vacuum pumps, wiring, plugs, misc..
A lot of fiddling around (the fun, but time consuming part)

As much as it is the dream to leave the traffic in the dust, with only the sound of the wind and the squeak of the suspension, its still too expensive to justify. Until we get some electric cars being sold in good numbers, going cheap second hand or written off by insurance companies, I dont think we'll have cheap parts for a long time yet. I like the way you think though!

Return to “The MOD Squad”