Clear coat

Paint & panel, Chrome, Wheels,Tyres and Exterior Trim.
DBW124
Finnie
Model you own: w124

Clear coat

Post by DBW124 » Fri 16 Jul, 2010 10:06 am

While in Europe for 5 weeks in March, my car was parked in the drive under a small tree. I had planned on getting a car cover, but never got around to it.

Despite efforts by my sister to hose it off occasionally, when I got back, the roof and bonnet were covered in petals. After cleaning, there were still slight black marks on the clear coat. I tried to remove these with Kitten Liquid Cut & Polish but to no avail.

Also, around the door handles the clear coat is looking a bit 2nd hand. Have checked out various auto accessory stores but a lot of the heavier duty products have instructions stating they should not be used on clear coats.

Was thinking of taking the car to a bodyshop (under the front bumper could do with a tidy up as well), but does anybody have any suggestions for DIY clear coat repair?
W124 E 280

danny6479
E Class
Model you own: w108

Re: Clear coat

Post by danny6479 » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 1:32 am

try going to a paint supplier and getting a proper cutting paste eg G3 or a 3M medium grade u will also need a polisher and a medium/black polishing mop. its quite a messy job mopping a car but will give t best results, while mopping ur car always have a spray bottle to hand with clean water set to a mist as u need to keep spraying on ur panels as u mop, if u were to pay a good bobyshop to do this expect to pay $75 per hr/panel so when u add up panels on ur car u may as well get some decent kit n do urself. u can burn ur paint so keep watering n let t mop do the work.

dan

danny6479
E Class
Model you own: w108

Re: Clear coat

Post by danny6479 » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 1:35 am

oh and dont forget to put a good wax on after

Return to “Exterior”