Social Media

Content NOT RELATED to the Forum. If you have other non-mercedes content to discuss, this is where to do it.
rossie11
C Class
Model you own: w163

Social Media

Post by rossie11 » Sat 24 Dec, 2016 11:32 am

Can somebody tell me the point of this topic. When i was growing up just after the WW2, we spoke to each other. If we had something to say we said it tothe person. We did not use the cowards way of putting stuff on line and not daring to see the problems they have caused.

I will never understand the need to constantly text somebody, or to play games in the movies. I am told i dont fit in with todays thinking or technology, but i dont want to. Kids commit suicide because some idiot has made a remark on line the deeply offends them, why.

Do we really need to be in touch constantly, people say you have to be in touch all the time, why. People are brainwashed today because some smart advert says they must have this or that. People no longer drop in to see mates, as we did in the old days, yes the old days. Sometimes the visit was unwanted, but there was no text telling some BS story that we have the plague or grandads died, be honest with people and just talk face to face.

redlaser
Finnie
Model you own: w126

Re: Social Media

Post by redlaser » Sat 24 Dec, 2016 11:41 am

Reminds me of the following quote by Sherry Turkle: "It is painful to watch children trying to show off for parents who are engrossed in their cell phones. Children are nostalgic for the 'good old days' when parents used to read to them without the cell phone by their side or watch football games or Disney movies without having the BlackBerry handy."

John Green
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Post by John Green » Sat 24 Dec, 2016 1:06 pm

Like most things in life we have a choice as to how we use it. For me it has been a great tool to reconnect with friends from school and other various groups I have been associated with over the years.

As if to prove the worth of social media, I have a Swiss friend who I have communicated with electronically for 25 years who is coming to visit me next week. I visited him and had our first ever "face to face" conversation two yours ago. His name is Alex Garbard and we are both pioneers of what was called back then "The Vets list", the worlds first Mercedes-Benz dedicated electronic mailing list. It is from the this list the the OZBENZ forum was founded....
Inaugural OZBENZ national meet this September, all welcome to attend. https://ozbenz.net/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=25165

M.B Spares & Service 14-16 Lyell St, Fyshwick ACT. Ph 02 6239 1099

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.

Ivanerrol
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w204

Post by Ivanerrol » Sun 25 Dec, 2016 8:18 am

Pre electronic social media was penpal or letter writing - snail social media if you prefer.
W211 - E240
W204 - C280
Departed
W202 - C200, C180, C180
W126 - 380SE , 380SE (Ex SA Import), 560SEL
W124 - 300e, 260e (ex Japan)
W111 220s (Indonesia) 4 speed manual column shift
W123 230
W116 450SEL
W140 420SEL
W210 E240, E240
W209 CLK 240
W201 190e 2.6 (ex U.K.)

Pete49
Adenauer
Model you own: w123

Post by Pete49 » Sun 25 Dec, 2016 12:09 pm

While I can't see the need for constantly checking FB, twitter, snapchat et al it does have its uses. I check FB at night to stay in touch with friends but have no use for other forms of antisocial media. My phone is used like a phone and the odd picture or message sent.
Like John says it is handy for some things. A week ago I had a query from someone unknown to me and though wary found out its a 2nd cousin that I didn't know I had as I was only 7 when we migrated here in the early 50's and when my parents died contact was lost. I am now back in touch with them and loving every minute of contact. Due to the length of time I found my last remaining aunt died a couple months ago but my cousin is still alive and kicking though due to language differences communicating is hard. Now I wish I had kept my first language intact....oh well always have Google translator. Please don't ignore social media as it has some good sides and used sensibly is another tool to find what we need, car parts, family or just the latest gossip but please don't forget to drop in on your mates even if it is inconvenient at the time as if like me I always make the time to chat or help them if I can.
Pete
sorry for the ramble guys :clock:
1978 W123 300D Maple Yellow
1981 W123 300TD Classic White (now sold)
1983 W123 280TE Champagne
1978 W116 450SEL Silverblue

rossie11
C Class
Model you own: w163

Post by rossie11 » Mon 26 Dec, 2016 6:57 pm

Why do people need facebook and all those other things you hear about. Why whats the point. I dont want people i dont know having access to me or finding out stuff about me they know nothing about. Are people that insecure that they have to have all these so called friends they have met nor will they ever, it seems to me its a race to find who is the biggest loser and who is the most insecure.

These social media sites are a haven for criminals wanting to find out about you, am i paranoid, afte some 30 plus years in the Police Service, we found more and more frauds and suicides due to facebook, if your on it, be very careful.

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w109

Post by Mercmad » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 5:29 pm

For me it has made life easier with regard to cars. For decades the only way to abreast of things automotive was through magazines or word of mouth. As a result ,when i exploded the engine of my BMW M6 i had to hit the phone ,often at some insane hour at night to contact someone in England, Germany was out of the question , to find parts to repair it .Now,with the internet and various on line gropups i can source once unobtainable parts , then there is the access to the manufacturers own workshop information service ,complicated as it is.
Lets not forget that facebook was begun to allow former uni students to keep in touch on line. it has morphed into some sort of monster now,making it's moronic founder insanely rich.

AMG
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models
Region: New South Wales

Post by AMG » Mon 02 Jan, 2017 7:58 am

It's really simple.
If you choose to participate, limit your detail sharing.
That includes location, occupation - even use a generic email if youre paranoid.
Do not share your private information with apps that seek it.
You dont even have to share that info with "friends".

The age barrier is obviously a hurdle - and i'm not being critical of it, but it is a known and-[ easily provable fact that adapting to new technologies is more difficult for people who are over 55. Especilaly if they have not had exposure to it.

Its difficult for any gen x adult as well. The march of technology will ensure we are all redundant.

Why worry.
If you have concerns, research. And choose to not use it if you are concerned by potential consequences.
Current:
1987 560SL 4sp. auto Signalrot "Stella"
1987 190E 2.3-16 5sp. man. Blauschwarz "Hermann"
1992 300CE-24 6sp. man. Perlblau / Iceblau "Gretel"
1992 Range Rover Classic 4sp auto Ardennes Green "Oswald"
2012 E63 AMG Speedshift MCT Diamantweiß "Klaus"
Previous:
1986 560SEL Anthracitgrau "Schultz" - In Mercedes Heaven
1987 190E 2.6 4sp. auto Signalrot "Sabine" - which now resides/owns Andrew M's Garage
1972 350SLC Astralsilber "Lurch" - now in the loving care of Craig B
1989 2.5-16 Blauschwarz 4sp. auto (parted) formerly owned by Derek/Hasan.
2012 Renault Sport Megane RS265 Trophy 8:08 6 sp. man. Liquid Yellow "Jean Rédélé"

Return to “Off-Topic / Unrelated Chat”