Getting over the pits in Western Australia

Content NOT RELATED to the Forum. If you have other non-mercedes content to discuss, this is where to do it.
Rizz280s
C Class
Model you own: w108
Region: Western Australia

Getting over the pits in Western Australia

Post by Rizz280s » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 8:35 pm

Hey all!

Executive summary:
>Got a major tranny leak
> Temporary time and money issues means work will be delayed. Additional rego costs are a pain.

What dramas can I expect to get my car over the pits if I de-register my W108 for a while?
>Body rust?
>Rear seatbelts?

What are your experiences getting your car over the pits (in WA or elsewhere in Aus, since WA is actually pretty tame compared to over east)

The gory details:
Brunhilda was almost ready to become my daily driver. Things were going great. The recent tune-up has her running like new, with more power than ever before. She even started to find first gear! I've made strides in making her a comfortable and reliable car and then she started slipping gears...
She always had a bit of a tranny leak, but it was small enough that I'd just top her up. Its at the point now where I find puddles of sweet red tranny fluid after a short drive.
I suspect this one may be a front seal, so not something I am comfortable trying to replace myself (I dont have a lift or even a garage to work in).
I am also time-poor and money-poor at the moment because of my studies.
Roughly this time next year I will be a free (and hopefully) employed man, so I will have time, if nothing else, to work on the car.

If in the meantime I de-register the car or end up doing an engine or tranny swap, both will require going back over the pits. I know it is expensive and I have heard that they can be pretty anal in the Vehicle Inspection center, so please, tell me your experience, give me your advice on getting a car registered - is it worth de-registering, pulling the engine, fixing the rust etc etc to save a little rego and take her back over the pits in due time? Did you have an asshole tell you you couldnt register your car because of a ten-cent sized hole in your driver's seat? Do I legally require seatbelts in the back of the car (1970 model).

Many thanks,

Rizz

Tony From West Oz
OZBENZ moderator
Model you own: w202

Re: Getting over the pits in Western Australia

Post by Tony From West Oz » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 10:09 pm

I changed a W123 from a 280E to a 300D, 10 or 12 years ago. The car had to be inspected once the engine was replaced. (not needed if the same spec engine was installed)
I made sure there were no signs of oil leakage or rust where they could be seen.
They wanted to argue that the 300D needed to have a charcoal canister, but that was not required in 1983 when the vehicle was built, so they accepted that was not needed (I had it from the M110 that I removed, but didn't want to use it)
The only thing that they picked was the flex disc had some cracks in it.
I replaced the flex disc and it passed the inspection.

Just make sure that there is no structural rust (better no rust at all) that can be seen, or revealed with a screwdriver in the hands of the inspector.
All mechanical items are in top condition and no oil leaks AT ALL!

My reading of the rules is that if the car was sold new in Australia without rear seat belts then you do not need to retrofit them.
Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

'83 W123 300D 325000km (Wife's car Josephine - sold).
'84 W123 300D replaced good OM617 912 with OM617 952 and enjoyed having good acceleration for the first time since first driving a 300D in 2002 - became engine and trans donor for 300CD Turbodiesel conversion. Now parted out.
'86 W124 300D sold (Wife's old car - sold )
'85 W123 300CD, 275 000km (Fatmobile) rebuilt turbodiesel from previous Fatmobile transplanted into 280CE (SOLD)
'99 W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car - Sold)
'98 W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car - Sold)
'06 Ssanyong Musso Crew Cab 2WD Ute (OM662 diesel and Auto Transmission)

Rizz280s
C Class

Post by Rizz280s » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 12:45 am

Thanks for that Tony!
Ideally after some time off the road I would be able to sort out all of those little bits. There is some obvious rust, but I dont think it's structural (not that I have gotten that far yet - one panel at a time to make the job manageable). I suppose I really need to get everything else into shape.

How did you go with electrical stuff? Are they picky about everything working inside? I still have a few little things to sort out there.
Also, the factory demister works, but not very convincingly by modern car standards. I really don't know what to expect.

I saw a project recently with a Ford 4L Barra motor going fairly problem-free into a nice W108 and am very strongly considering it - that alone should cure all of my leaks as far as I can see.

Bartman4800
300 SLR
Model you own: w111

Post by Bartman4800 » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 9:58 am

There is another option:

Keep it laid up on a club vehicle registration.
I did that with my finnie.
You become member of the local Mercedes club, and ask for a historic registration through them.
This will cost (apart from the membership) about 60 aud per year

You can only drive the car to meetings, or just keep it in your shed.

Bart
1963 220 Sb Sedan "Kermit" (Australian Assembly)
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!
2006 Ford Focus "daily driver"
2002 VW Passat V6 30V Station Wagon (SOLD - This car into a money pit)
2011 Kia Sportage "Missus commuter Bus"
2002 Mitsubishi Rosa Bus (converting it to a motor home)

Rizz280s
C Class

Post by Rizz280s » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 10:53 pm

I thought about that a while back. Do you know if a car needs to be re-inspected when going from a club registration to a full registration?
I found the Tas Department of transport web page that says you need a full inspection done, as if the car had been de-registered or deemed a repairable write-off. That's essentially the process I am trying to avoid.
The $60 rego is certainly tempting though!

Return to “Off-Topic / Unrelated Chat”