Jaycar amplifier bargains

All about In-Car Entertainment (aka ICE)
Discuss audio problems in your mercedes / installs of new AV products
Share pics of your install, describe issues, troubleshoot audio electrics in your Mercedes.
pastelgrey300D
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w111

Jaycar amplifier bargains

Post by pastelgrey300D » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 1:08 pm

I just scored a brilliant response amplifier from jaycar for a stupid price - they have phased out their old models and whatever stock is left in store is going very very cheap.
jaycar amp.JPG
This 4 x 50RMS amplifier set me back just $61 - I think the original price was around $199. It was the last one on the shelf (Adelaide store) but they had some of the higher output models - the 2 x 100W for $119 etc.

I absolutely love the Jaycar response speakers, I have them in all of my cars - their 4" kevlar splits are probably the best 4" speakers on the market and have won numerous awards. All in all their gear is very underrated - I recall reading an article about someone who won a stereo sound off competition using 4 response amplifiers and response speakers.

This amp will eventually end up in one of the Finnies in addition to a sub - will detail the install in a future post but should rattle the windows nicely!

So if you are in the market for a good quality amplifier, might be worth popping past your local jaycar to see if there are any left!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David
1967 W111 230S - Horizonblau
1965 W110 190c - Mittelrot
1967 W110 200D - Weiss (work in progress)
+ other classics

brother benz68
Pagoda

Re: Jaycar amplifier bargains

Post by brother benz68 » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 1:21 pm

I love visiting Jaycar and the audio gear sounds interesting as I need better speakers for the 180E.

I recently had to buy a charging cable for my laptop: Dick Smith $119, Jaycar $67

pastelgrey300D
OZBENZ Admin

Post by pastelgrey300D » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 1:29 pm

The speakers are very good, I outfitted a W123 with 4" in the front and 5" in the rear and the sound was excellent - they will handle plenty of power too. Only issue I found was that the 4" speakers would not fit the W123 dash (too deep because the magnets are huge) - but not sure if the W201 dash would accommodate them. The 5" speakers fitted nicely in the W123 parcel shelf though (although I can't remember if I had to use a spacer or not).

I used to shop very regularly at JB hifi believing I could go there and always get a fair price first time - until I had to buy a wall mounting bracket for a flat panel TV. JB Hifi had one, charged $99 and would not give any discount. It was for my work and we needed to install it that day as we needed the TV working for a client function on the Monday so bought it anyway. 3 weeks later saw an identical bracket at Jaycar for $35 - should have gone there first!
David
+ other classics

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 1:34 pm

Are they quitting out of everything response? I put one of their DAB radios in the landy - would grab another of those and i have said a few times for 126 how their speakers will sit under the dash grilles with the 4" and also the gen 2 they sit in the angled speaker surround - Amazing difference in sound and nobody knows they are there, and full price is a bargain.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

pastelgrey300D
OZBENZ Admin

Post by pastelgrey300D » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 1:44 pm

I think they have just brought out a new range of amplifiers. Speakers are still the same. I had a look on their website but they don't even have a listing for the model number of the amp I just bought (AA-0451). The sales guy told me the old ones are now obsoleted. Looks like the new amps are silver/aluminum. Some of the older style are still listed on the website as a clearance:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/Sight-%26-Soun ... iers/c/531

The Kevlar response speakers are still there: http://www.jaycar.com.au/Sight-%26-Soun ... kers/c/530 and the sales guy said they are definitely keeping them on because of how popular they are. In the blue Finnie i'm running 6x9s in the back and 6.5s in the front, directly off the head unit and the sound is great. The red car just has 5" in the front for now, but I'm looking at other options for the rear (the blue car already had holes cut in the parcel shelf by a previous owner so it was an easy choice, but I don't want to cut into any metal in the red car).
David
+ other classics

drew56cus
Große
Region: Queensland

Post by drew56cus » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 9:54 pm

Am tempted to look into these for the grey coupe - but to date I have not bothered with speakers in Frankenbenz as my radio is of the 4.5 litre variety - and here are my speakers!
varex muffler.gif
:love10:

I believe Craigs AMG has a similar system, especially on Corkscrew avenue (or whatever it was called).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drew
'65 220SE 4.5 Frankenbenz finnie :)
'65 220SE/C (#1 project - Tenorite grey)
'64 300SE/C (#2 project)
'66 250SE/C (#3 project)

thirstymerc
M-100
Model you own: w114

Post by thirstymerc » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 10:45 am

This 4 x 50RMS amplifier set me back just $61 - I think the original price was around $199. It was the last one on the shelf (Adelaide store) but they had some of the higher output models - the 2 x 100W for $119 etc.

I absolutely love the Jaycar response speakers, I have them in all of my cars - their 4" kevlar splits are probably the best 4" speakers on the market and have won numerous awards. All in all their gear is very underrated - I recall reading an article about someone who won a stereo sound off competition using 4 response amplifiers and response speakers.

This amp will eventually end up in one of the Finnies in addition to a sub - will detail the install in a future post but should rattle the windows nicely!

So if you are in the market for a good quality amplifier, might be worth popping past your local jaycar to see if there are any left!
Hey Dave, just wondering how you have set up your sound system in the finnie?

Have you posted about your process on here previously?

I'm currently working out the best way to retro fit a quality system in my w114 250 without touching or mucking around with the original interior.

Any tips would be great!

Cheers

Steve
Steve
1971 VW Beetle - Barry the Bug
1969 280se w108 - Max the Merc
1971 250 w114 - Molly the Merc

pastelgrey300D
OZBENZ Admin

Post by pastelgrey300D » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 12:11 pm

Hey Steve, I will post some more details later, but in a nutshell this is what I've done:

In the rear, the blue Finnie had already had the parcel shelf cut by a previous owner to fit speakers, so I fitted 6x9's with a spacer over the existing holes.

In the front of both cars, I made up new under dash boards. The original cardboard trim was missing or badly warped in both cars. I made up new boards using marine ply, covered with black car carpet. This was then fastened to the base of the dash and with brackets to the firewall - solid enough to mount speakers. There are some pics in this thread:

http://www.ozbenz.net/viewtopic.php?f=9 ... 6&p=118986

I've only got 5" speakers in the red car but managed to squeeze 6.5s into the blue Finnie (blue car is an auto so had more room without the clutch pedal and washer pull lever.

As for the red car, because the parcel shelf has not been cut, I'm looking at some surface mount speakers which I will mount using existing holes or a bracket connected to the existing seatbelt mounts. I'll post some pics once this is done.
David
+ other classics

Return to “I.C.E. Cold - Car Audio”