Aftermarket speaker install into W109, with pics.

All about In-Car Entertainment (aka ICE)
Discuss audio problems in your mercedes / installs of new AV products
Share pics of your install, describe issues, troubleshoot audio electrics in your Mercedes.
GNGSTA
170s
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Aftermarket speaker install into W109, with pics.

Post by GNGSTA » Tue 25 Sep, 2012 1:27 am

Hi all,

I just wanted to pass on how I went about installing some 6X9 speakers into my W109 300SEL without modifing the the parcel shelf (both the metal and the masonite shelves) or drilling out any extra holes with pics.

This is the original speaker cover and placement on the shelf of my recently aquired 300SEL, the original speaker holes in the metal are pre marked and a solid hit with either a fist or mallet will knock these out and then you would cut out the masonite with a sharp knife to match the hole. I didn't need to do this as my car was ordered with the four speaker setup from factory or from the dealer, but since the fader is in the dash I must assume that the system was installed ex factory because the original colour of the velour can be seen.

As you can see for the pics above, the speakers are 8X4 paper coned single voice coil speakers measuring at 4ohms and they still sounded great for their age.
I desoldered the wires from both of the speakers because I wanted to use them both on the speakers that I had planned to use and I wanted a true "plug and play" solution.

The speaker grills are like a two part set up, you have the hard plastic grill and a metal mesh with a black material over the top of it, this preserved the speakers in my opinion from the harsh Australian sunlight, as I've seen speakers fall apart after a couple of summers made of higher quality stuff.

I made a template of the upper and lower sections of the mounts so I can use a router to make as many copies of the parts as I liked and so that all parts looked the same.
The idea of the top section is so the original screws that mounted the grill and original speaker to the car will hold the new setup in the same way from underneath thefore not needing to drill extra holes.

As you can see the tweeter and Mid range parts of the speakers as exposed and the main bass driver gets loaded up a bit before going through, this helps increase the bass responce a little and the vocal parts of the music are not affected as much.

And for added sealing, I used some weather striping to help better seal off the speaker from the boot.

And then I added the wiring to the speakers with the connectors so as soon as they are mounted I can plug them in the original harness.

With the help of a friend, someone gets in the boot and holds up the speaker while the other is in the car screwing in the grill and the speaker together using the original holes and screws as they are long enough to hold it all in and then plug the connectors together for sound.

They sit nicely in the outer ends of the boot.

Once installed, from inside the cabin you can't tell the difference between the new and old, only by the sound.

To be continued.........
1969 W108 280S - parts/future project, too original to cut up - Sold 28/8/13
1971 W109 300SEL 3.5 - newest purchase, current project, keeper
1972 W108 280SE 3.5 - project on back burner - Sold 30/7/14
1996 W210 E320 Elegance - Daily driver
2003 VW B5.5 Passat 1.8T - wifemobile - Sold/Traded in without me knowing while on the way to work
2013 VW Jetta TSI twin charged - new wifemobile

pastelgrey300D
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w111

Re: Aftermarket speaker install into W109, with pics.

Post by pastelgrey300D » Tue 25 Sep, 2012 10:29 am

That is a really tidy job! You'd never ever know! Too bad the rest of the velour on the parcel shelf doesn't look like the bit under the speaker grilles... :pale:

I've put 6x9's in the back of my Finnie, a previous owner had already cut holes in the parcel shelf so I mounted the 6x9's on top of the parcel shelf with a spacer so that the magnet was poking through the existing holes - but I'm not happy with the way it looks, plus it's obvious that they are not the original speakers. I don't want to advertise the fact that the car has an aftermarket stereo (even though it is not that whizz bang or expensive) because the cost and headache of finding replacement door glass if someone broke in would be way more than the value of the stereo...
David
1967 W111 230S - Horizonblau
1965 W110 190c - Mittelrot
1967 W110 200D - Weiss (work in progress)
+ other classics

Starman
540 K
Model you own: w211

Post by Starman » Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:59 am

Good job - the old "hidden technology trick". You might need some decent screws to hold those babies down in an accident - but I guess they are in the boot/trunk so where they gonna go? Nice work.
W212 E400 Avantgarde
W211 E500 Elegance sold
W202 C200 "the Tank" sold

GNGSTA
170s
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by GNGSTA » Tue 25 Sep, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks David. :)
Yes I know, the velour is looking a little tired. :(
I will remake a new shelf but not until I replace the rear window seal as it leeks a little water and te new board will absorb it and warp, so once the seal is done there will be a new and retrimed shelf installed, a new shelf has already been made and trimed out of 6mm MDF, I just need to do the seal. :)

Starman, thats why I used 16mm MDF instead of 6mm for both parts, the screws were 35-40mm long so there is plenty of MDF for them to bite into and incase of an accident they will only drop into the boot without killing anyone. It's all by design.

That is the only thing audio wise that will be hidden only because I don't like cutting metal out of cars if I can help it, the headunit is an Alpine with ipod connection and sits in the dash as it should.
The front speakers are still the stock 40 yr old units and they are keeping up, only just.
1969 W108 280S - parts/future project, too original to cut up - Sold 28/8/13
1971 W109 300SEL 3.5 - newest purchase, current project, keeper
1972 W108 280SE 3.5 - project on back burner - Sold 30/7/14
1996 W210 E320 Elegance - Daily driver
2003 VW B5.5 Passat 1.8T - wifemobile - Sold/Traded in without me knowing while on the way to work
2013 VW Jetta TSI twin charged - new wifemobile

Return to “I.C.E. Cold - Car Audio”