190e rallycar

Discuss Things like Engine Swaps / drivetrain mods / Interior changes etc.
Have You Got a Modified Mercedes? Show it off here. Pics welcome.
190coona
Model you own: w201

190e rallycar

Post by 190coona » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 8:43 pm

Ok everybody, I need some advice/ expert opinions from everybody on wheather my ideas are correct and will actually work

So I'm building a 1994 180e into a autocross car that will hopefully evolve into a rally car. It's already been stripped out and has only the front seats and dash left in it. My plan is to put w124 suspension to bring the spring and shock rates up as well as raise the ride hight a little bit as well as doing the 300e brake upgrade. From there I was going to put my low ratio diff out of my 84 190e that I am currently stripping in it, will the diff fit? I was also planning on putting the manual transmission out of the 190 into the 180, is there any modifications I need to do to fit the transmission in the car? Or will it just fit? Eventually I was hoping to get around to putting my 2.3 8v motor in it once I'm a little bit more experienced in the car and was planning on doing the best home port and polish job I could possibly do to the head as well as a cam regrind. I was hoping I could get a red 16v header and drill and tap the head as well as port match it all to make it fit and than do a full custom exhaust system, does anybody know what these modifications to the motor will do to the power band in the car? And do you think it would be possible to do these modifications to the motor?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Re: 190e rallycar

Post by CraigB » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 11:02 pm

There are a few people on here that will no doubt know the answers but another place to ask is a couple of the W201 specific forums. 190rev i think it is, is one of them. My understanding is they get a lot of power out of the 8v that is commonly used in europe in motorsport (as well as 16v). But that's just from memory. Lower ratio diff a good idea of course but LSD important in low traction conditons. Depending on what you are using it for, if its just dirt you could lock the diff. I don't know how hard or expensive a low ration lsd would be but no doubt a few options out there.

Others know a lot more but thought i would respond in case that helps.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

190coona
Model you own: w201

Re: 190e rallycar

Post by 190coona » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 6:50 am