W111 Engine Conversions?

Discuss Things like Engine Swaps / drivetrain mods / Interior changes etc.
Have You Got a Modified Mercedes? Show it off here. Pics welcome.
TassieBenz
Model you own: w111

W111 Engine Conversions?

Post by TassieBenz » Sun 18 Dec, 2016 10:00 pm

Hey All,

Fantastic forum you've got here! I'm new to the world of Mercedes Benz's until yesterday, where my wife & i brought home her 67' 230S Sedan. I've had vast experience with early model Falcons, but none with these German Falcons! Seeking any advice that anyone has for engine & gearbox conversions. We aren't expecting a racecar, but want a reliable automatic cruiser. I know it may be sacrelige, but thinking motor & box from ED to EF falcon could be ok... (please don't shoot me now)

Cheers, Brett

Bartman4800
300 SLR
Model you own: w111

Re: W111 Engine Conversions?

Post by Bartman4800 » Mon 19 Dec, 2016 12:34 pm

Ouch, comparing a Ford Falcon to a Finnie....That hurts :think:

Why won't you buy an ED falcon, they already come with a Falcon engine. :blackeye:
You can give the finnie to me, and I will look for a decent ED falcon for you.

But honestly, what is wrong with the existing engine?

Bart
1963 220 Sb Sedan "Kermit" (Australian Assembly)
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!
2006 Ford Focus "daily driver"
2002 VW Passat V6 30V Station Wagon (SOLD - This car into a money pit)
2011 Kia Sportage "Missus commuter Bus"
2002 Mitsubishi Rosa Bus (converting it to a motor home)

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB » Mon 19 Dec, 2016 11:36 pm

Am i reading into your post correctly that your car is a manual and maybe your engine in its current state is not reliable? Or is it a perception that all old Mercedes are unreliable? They certainly can be reliable. The simplest solution could be to try and find a rusty but good running auto finnie and do the swap - you will have all the parts you need and might be able to sell off the excess. Lots of people do conversions that cost lots of money and/or time and it seems many give up along the way. I think some enjoy them and if you keep it forever then cost is not such an issue but one falcon conversion i can recall some time ago I think ended up being wrecked after not being able to find a buyer. But you may have your own reasons for wanting to go that way, but one thing you will need no doubt is a taller diff or some sort of overdrive. The Benz motor is designed to rev so you will probably want to find a ratio close to what the original falcon had.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

220SEB
C Class

Post by 220SEB » Wed 21 Dec, 2016 10:31 am