Tools

If you have a non model specific technical question or some general MB related content, post it here!
Users are requested to Search through relevant topics using the "Search" function, before posting here.
Ivanerrol
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w204

Tools

Post by Ivanerrol » Fri 08 Sep, 2017 11:14 pm

Many people have seen this tool but don't know what it's for.
It's a wheel locater.
Invaluable. They came in the tool kit with your car.
Here's some more of my invaluable tools.

Milking stool
Saves the knees. Original milking stools like mine you wont find - mine is older than myself. You can buy small plastic stools at Bunnings. You can even stand on the Bunnings stools. Don't try standing on those stools you buy at the Asian $2.00 shops.

I cut down a three eighths extension
It fits in my drill
Image[/url]
then you can do this with a deep extension socket.
This is a tool every one needs
This is necessary to loosen the wheel bolts after your car has been to the tyre dealer who has just fixed a tyre puncture and used a air compressor gun to tighten your wheel bolts to unimaginable tightness.
W211 - E240
W204 - C280
Departed
W202 - C200, C180, C180
W126 - 380SE , 380SE (Ex SA Import), 560SEL
W124 - 300e, 260e (ex Japan)
W111 220s (Indonesia) 4 speed manual column shift
W123 230
W116 450SEL
W140 420SEL
W210 E240, E240
W209 CLK 240
W201 190e 2.6 (ex U.K.)

Tony From West Oz
OZBENZ moderator
Model you own: w202

Re: Tools

Post by Tony From West Oz » Sat 09 Sep, 2017 12:28 am

Ivanerrol wrote:
Fri 08 Sep, 2017 11:14 pm
Many people have seen this tool but don't know what it's for.

Here's some more of my invaluable tools.

Milking stool
Saves the knees. Original milking stools like mine you wont find - mine is older than myself. You can buy small plastic stools at Bunnings. You can even stand on the Bunnings stools. Don't try standing on those stools you buy at the Asian $2.00 shops.

I cut down a three eighths extension
It fits in my drill

then you can do this with a deep extension socket.

This is a tool every one needs

This is necessary to loosen the wheel bolts after your car has been to the tyre dealer who has just fixed a tyre puncture and used a air compressor gun to tighten your wheel bolts to unimaginable tightness.
I purchased a set of hex drive to 1/4". 3/8" and 1/2" Square drive bits, to use my electric drill / driver for those long bolts which are a pain to remove and reinstall, especially where access is limited, then my extension wobble bars give me clearance to use the drill.
Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

'83 W123 300D 325000km (Wife's car Josephine - sold).
'84 W123 300D replaced good OM617 912 with OM617 952 and enjoyed having good acceleration for the first time since first driving a 300D in 2002 - became engine and trans donor for 300CD Turbodiesel conversion. Now parted out.
'86 W124 300D sold (Wife's old car - sold )
'85 W123 300CD, 275 000km (Fatmobile) rebuilt turbodiesel from previous Fatmobile transplanted into 280CE (SOLD)
'99 W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car - Sold)
'98 W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car - Sold)
'06 Ssanyong Musso Crew Cab 2WD Ute (OM662 diesel and Auto Transmission)

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w109

Post by Mercmad » Mon 11 Sep, 2017 1:05 pm

decades ago i had a special tool cabinet which had been made by some cleaver individual in the 1900's . Somewhere along the line it got lost and i have always wanted another .So i picked up one of these on ebay ...A sidchrome tool cabinet , minus the tools of course .( for %150 . This one in the pic sold at greys on line auctions for $380 so someone scored a nice bargain . I have had drawer style tool boxes for years but dont like them much , I find the tools are where i can see them ,saving time during the day . Plus the cab i bought hadn't been used . :coffee2: .Image

AMG
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models
Region: New South Wales

Post by AMG » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 10:46 am

Hey Ron,

Good to see something familiar - and so so cheap!!!! awesome bargain - even if empty.
The old man has a similar one, I think it's the next size up - whichever one it is, it has all the sidchromes in it - the very last of the australian made ones, before proto or whoever it was bought them out "the first time" -
Since then the brand has been smashed and bounced around like a squashball. I'm not sure who owns them now, but the spanners have lost their character - beautiful light thin forged ring spanners are now huge chunks of faeces, with smooth handles that give no gripwhatsoever, but they look shiny for the "toolbox tossers".

I recall back in the day that cabinet full of tools was a huge $$$$ purchase (for the full set of sidchromes, it literally was everything they had, metric, sae & whitworth, plus all the pin punches and screwdrivers and all the other ancillary tools, which go into the series of drawers below the 'cabinet'). Something like $3000. You could buy a new car for about 10K back then, and for tools, it was a lot of money (in anyones language).

That cabinet still sits on the wall, and it's a reminder of skinned knuckles and some of the happiest times of my youth.

I still have some nice new sidchromes - the flare nut spanners and full set of quarter and 3/8 sockets - because when I was making a purchase decision, there was no availability of the stahlwille or hazet sets and the snap-off guy in my area is a complete ripoff (so I get mine from canberra, but the new guy isn't as good on price as Sue was).

I don't like the flare nut spanners - they are WAY too thick on the nut and the beam is too short in length - but at the time I had no choice - there wasn't anything else available.

One thing that Sidchrome have over nearly every other supplier though - wait for it.... a rotating handle ¼" ratchet drive - so you can simply twist your wrist back and forth to tighten up a nut, and it's a double-stroke design ratcheting mechanism.

not even snap-off have that. and they are bloody good - and hard to find. I bought one as a spare, when i was told they were discontinued. However since then I have seen them reappear randomly.

One thing I will say though - the really old 12 point sockets in ½" drive can take decades of impact wrench abuse. the newer ones can't. In fact I used one just the other day on the spare subframes to remove the rear hub flange nuts on the cv stubs. Old tools are the best sometimes.
Current:
1987 560SL 4sp. auto Signalrot "Stella"
1987 190E 2.3-16 5sp. man. Blauschwarz "Hermann"
1992 300CE-24 6sp. man. Perlblau / Iceblau "Gretel"
1992 Range Rover Classic 4sp auto Ardennes Green "Oswald"
2012 E63 AMG Speedshift MCT Diamantweiß "Klaus"
Previous:
1986 560SEL Anthracitgrau "Schultz" - In Mercedes Heaven
1987 190E 2.6 4sp. auto Signalrot "Sabine" - which now resides/owns Andrew M's Garage
1972 350SLC Astralsilber "Lurch" - now in the loving care of Craig B
1989 2.5-16 Blauschwarz 4sp. auto (parted) formerly owned by Derek/Hasan.
2012 Renault Sport Megane RS265 Trophy 8:08 6 sp. man. Liquid Yellow "Jean Rédélé"

Return to “General Mercedes-Benz related.”