Mechanics workshops in Victoria

If you have a non model specific technical question or some general MB related content, post it here!
Users are requested to Search through relevant topics using the "Search" function, before posting here.
BLA0057
A Class
Model you own: w126

Mechanics workshops in Victoria

Post by BLA0057 » Sat 17 Jun, 2017 2:45 pm

Howdy folks,

I've got a 1984 280SE, I bought it when I was 18 and I've been doing it up ever since (see pic below). It really is just a wonderful old car. While I do most of the small jobs myself, the old girl is about due for the big regular 60,000 km overhaul service. I'm based in Ballarat, and I used to go to an old fella here who knew what he was doing with old mercs. Unfortunately, he's retired, so I'm on the search for a new reliable mechanic who understands a w126.

Can anyone recommend a good service shop in Victoria? I travel to Melbourne and Geelong regularly, so I can easily drop her in if need be. The only similar posts I could find online are from about 6-7 years ago.

Cheers,
Andrew

Brun5.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AMG
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models
Region: New South Wales

Re: Mechanics workshops in Victoria

Post by AMG » Sat 17 Jun, 2017 3:41 pm

It seems these days noone wants to say whether or not they have had a good experience with a workshop - mostly because I guess there aren't many workshops providing a 'good' customer experience. Also a lot of owners are just tight-fisted arrogant a-holes, and mechanics aren't exactly well-paid professionally, so it's like oil and water mixing...

All I can say is if you do find a good mechanic, treat them well, and let them take care of your needs, discuss with them first, be very clear about what you want done and what might consititute 'additional' work outside of what is quoted.

Unfortunately, I do not know any in the northwest, and nothing down geelong way. Everything is over on the eastern side or north east at least.... You could ask MBCV members, but officially, according to the vic club website, they no longer provide mechanical recommendations either - which I think is a lazy-arsed blatant cop-out, trying to avoid potential conflict, instead of helping their own members. Really, that is what clubs are supposed to be about... basic services and trustworthy recommendations.

PLenty of victorian club members here who can easily PRIVATELY state whether they have had a good experience, or where they take their vehicle. So I'm moving this thread accordingly.

so Caveat emptor, as they say.

The only workshop I've had good experience with in Melbourne while I have been there have been Alan Lennox - I have not had occasion to use any others for any serious work, and hence cannot recommend any other workshop, although I am sure there are quite a few.
It would also be out of your way - but if noone else answers, well - you can always try.
Current:
1987 560SL 4sp. auto Signalrot "Stella"
1987 190E 2.3-16 5sp. man. Blauschwarz "Hermann"
1992 300CE-24 6sp. man. Perlblau / Iceblau "Gretel"
1992 Range Rover Classic 4sp auto Ardennes Green "Oswald"
2012 E63 AMG Speedshift MCT Diamantweiß "Klaus"
Previous:
1986 560SEL Anthracitgrau "Schultz" - In Mercedes Heaven
1987 190E 2.6 4sp. auto Signalrot "Sabine" - which now resides/owns Andrew M's Garage
1972 350SLC Astralsilber "Lurch" - now in the loving care of Craig B
1989 2.5-16 Blauschwarz 4sp. auto (parted) formerly owned by Derek/Hasan.
2012 Renault Sport Megane RS265 Trophy 8:08 6 sp. man. Liquid Yellow "Jean Rédélé"

ngruzevs
540 K
Model you own: w126

Post by ngruzevs » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 8:32 am

Andrew, that's a lovely 280SE. I too have 280SE, purchased it last year at the MBCV Concours event.

Recommending a mechanic isn't straight forward, in my experience as everyone has different expectations. I have found most mechanics aren't perfect, and given the age of our cars, some intermittent issues are difficult to nail down. Labour can quickly add up to more than the car is worth, especially for the entry to mid level sedans of the 70/80s.

I am a member of MBCV and would be happy to recommend two very good mechanics that I currently use in the east of Melbourne. Would be happy to chat further on the phone or via IM/email.

Here's Max, he's an 85 280SE
Current Garage
1971 MK2 Jensen Interceptor Regency Red Jeremy
1979 W116 450SE Brilliant Red Metallic Claudia
1985 W126 280SE Thistle Green Max
1987 W126 300SE (SA Delivered) Pearl Grey Matt Oscar
2018 Hyundai i30N Polar White Penelope

astroe
C Class
Model you own: w124
Region: Victoria

Post by astroe » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 9:37 pm

ngruzevs wrote:
Sun 18 Jun, 2017 8:32 am
I am a member of MBCV and would be happy to recommend two very good mechanics that I currently use in the east of Melbourne. Would be happy to chat further on the phone or via IM/email.
Sent you a message! :)
Current car: 1994 W124 E280 in Brilliant Silver

newMercowner69
Pagoda
Model you own: w202

Post by newMercowner69 » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 10:36 am

Gullwing motors in Vermont or Starline motors in Blackburn.

Return to “General Mercedes-Benz related.”