Front windscreen replacement looks terrible!!

1973-1980 : 280S, 280SE, 280SEL, 300SD, 350SE, 350SEL, 450SE, 450SEL, 450SEL 6.9
Cream 280SE
E Class
Model you own: w116
Region: New South Wales

Front windscreen replacement looks terrible!!

Post by Cream 280SE » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 7:28 am

Hello All

Last week, I took my Cream Machine , the 1977 289SE to a well known windscreen replacement business to have the windscreen replaced.

They said it had to go there as it was a big job and great care was required!! Great I thought!! They will do a great job. Left it in their expert hands.

Came back a little early, and was watching them complete the job . The amount of black silicon they used was getting me worried. The person was using so much that when they drove her out, it was oozing out and they had to keep wiping it. They also scratched my windscreen trim. Now I look at the screen , and the seal looks really poorly done. You can see silicon all the way around the seal between the glass and the seal.

Should silicon have been used? They didn’t come out like this in the factory!!!

Thanks

Darren

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Re: Front windscreen replacement looks terrible!!

Post by CraigB » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 10:23 am

No, it should be non-hardening mastik that is used and it all sounds wrong anyway. I had a disaster when Windscreens O'Brien destroyed the trim around my W113 280sl - caught this young guy trying to force the trim into the rubber after the screen was in - then this branch fought me all the way to give me any compensation at all towards new trims. Others have had good experiences with Windscreens O'Brien, but it is a huge conglomerate and it comes down to the individuals that work in each branch. I use a local '2 man' operation now that fully understands the older stuff and I can guarantee that it is not some inexperienced 'apprentice' messing with my car. It is interesting chatting to these guys how many times they are employed to come in and clean up a mess created by the big companies.

If say you were in Canberra say, I would take it to John Green and ask him to look at it as a Mercedes professional and then back to the company (so they are not arguing you don't know what you are talking about). Based on my experience I wouldn't take any faeces from them and be ready to walk straight back out to call head office and discuss with them instead.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Cream 280SE
E Class
Model you own: w116
Region: New South Wales

Post by Cream 280SE » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 4:35 pm

Thanks Craig,

Unfortunately, I’m up on the Central Coast , otherwise the old girl would have been at JG’s a few times by now!!

I had a quote a few weeks ago from a car carrier to get my car to John so he could check her over and do anything required , and was quoted $800.00 !!

I’d prefer that to go to any works to get her up to scratch!

Yes, I will be kicking up a stink with that so called professional windscreen business!!

John Green
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Post by John Green » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 9:57 pm

A couple of questions:

- Is it silicone or butyl mastic sealant. The later is what you want, it never really sets with the exacerbation of the area exposed to the atmosphere which skins over. It is soluble with mineral turpertine, so you could test a small area to check.
- did they use a new seal? Unless the old rubber seal was in excellent condition a new seal should have been used.
- if not this may have explained the excess sealant?
Inaugural OZBENZ national meet this September, all welcome to attend. https://ozbenz.net/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=25165

M.B Spares & Service 14-16 Lyell St, Fyshwick ACT. Ph 02 6239 1099

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.

Return to “W116”