W113 Roadster 1963-71 230SL, 250SL, 280SL
W121 Roadster 1955-1963 190SL
W198 Coupe 'Gullwing' and Roadster models
CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

chasing my cricket noise!!

Post by CraigB » Sun 10 Mar, 2013 1:28 pm

Thanks everyone for responses to the driveshaft question. Well Tuesday i booked my car in for a wheel alignment and suspension check over and Wednesday to put it on a dyno to try and track down this noise and armed with some different size hoses I was going to hold that against my ear so i might be able to isolate where the 'cricket' noise was coming from, against all the inherent dyno noise. The noise only happens when the car is on the move and that was the driver behind thinking it was in the driveshaft. It is on other posts here but I can roll down a big hill near home with the car in neutral and engine off and the noise happens at a certain speed, so that totally isolated the engine and the cam chain from the culprits. And in my rush to get home after picking the car up from the wheel alignment, I honestly can't say if i heard the noise or not, but driving to the dyno on Wednesday, no matter what i did i could not replicate the noise! And yet I can't remember ever driving this car without that bloody noise!! Then i drove the car next yesterday and while it did make the noise it was only every now and then. So my guess now is that this is some part in the front suspension where the torque loading from the engine is somehow affecting something - perhaps the subrame bushes? It is an old school wheel alignment place - light wheel alignment in the city - and they go right over any car before aligning, gently levering each and every joint etc and my guess is that they levered my 'cricket' that stopped it until a bit more driving has caused it to start to settle in again. This afternoon i think i will go crazy with a can of that silicon spray, so it is not too oily like lanox or something, but might just penetrate to where there is some rubbing.

Will keep you posted and any new thoughts let me know.

The rest of the car is running beautifully - am touching the wooden desk as i type - and just can't wait (with boyish excitement) to hit the road and head to Canberra next week. Hope to catch as many as possible then.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

drew56cus
Große
Model you own: w111

Re: chasing my cricket noise!!

Post by drew56cus » Sun 10 Mar, 2013 9:46 pm

May you have more success with your cricket than Michael Clarke and his boys are...
Drew
'65 220SE 4.5 Frankenbenz finnie :)
'65 220SE/C (#1 project - Tenorite grey)
'64 300SE/C (#2 project)
'66 250SE/C (#3 project)

rav3n
E Class
Model you own: w114

Post by rav3n » Sat 06 Apr, 2013 8:11 am

Had the same sort of problem in my car albiet not a Merc.
Symptoms were exactly the same and couldnt work it out, no matter what was tweaked, oiled or greased.
Turned out to be a slightly dry front universal joint........
Hope that helps

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Sat 06 Apr, 2013 9:36 am

Thanks for that. I haven't said yet because i haven't narrowed it down for sure, but at the Pagoda meet I was talking to JG and how could it be associated with suspension. JG suggested that when joints get old and grease hard there is a place on one of the joints where the grease often doesn't get around to. The movement by the wheel aligner testing joints would have moved that. So next job is to pull down those joints and have a look, freshly lube and then back together to see if it silences it and without touching anything else and that should give a definitive answer finally.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

ANF
300 SLR

Post by ANF » Sat 06 Apr, 2013 3:55 pm

Maybe next time you hear some crickets outside you could park your SL next to them to see if they can entice your "cricket" to leave..... :laughing6:

A slow process of elimination otherwise...

Cheers

skat66
E Class
Model you own: w113

Post by skat66 » Fri 19 Apr, 2013 4:36 pm

Craig,

I had a cricket in my Kombi that drove me made. Turned out to be a bit of grit that had lodged in the brake pad and it chirped intermittently until I hit the brakes hard and it would disappear.
Garry
1965 230SL Light Blue
1974 VW Kombi Camper
2005 A200

Return to “W113 and W121 Roadsters & W198 300SL”