Going to pick up my first Mercedes

1965 - 1972: 250S, 250SE, 300SEb, 280S, 280SE, 280SEL, 280SE 3.5, 280SEL 3.5, 280SE 4.5, 280SEL 4.5, 300SEL, 300SEL 6.3, 300SEL 3.5, 300SEL 4.5
Scottyx
S Class
Model you own: w108
Region: New South Wales

Re: Going to pick up my first Mercedes

Post by Scottyx » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 5:30 am

G'day Craig

Thanks for the link to the Weber thread. I had try to search but wasn't too good at it. I will organise some Webers soon, I just need to work out where to buy them. I will send an email to Jam Engineering and see if they still do the kit or I will just buy the extra bits and pieces myself.

I've also been way too slack and haven't done a compression test or pulled the plugs after my Bathurst run. I may be tempted to leave work early today and come home to do this. I just need to see how my day pans out.

I have ordered a few bits and pieces from Pelican parts though and I'm still trying to sort through the ship fight of getting my shocks to Australia

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 9:37 am

Without reading that thread again, I think it is good to get that kit - I imagine it will be hard to find all the bits and carbs will be all jetted for your car ready to go. If you have hassles finding it just email/pm the author of that thread Dave - he's a great guy and always keen to help.

And yep I can rarely seem to make the search function work right but its part of the software and nothing to be done - I can't make it work on other forums either! - I only found it using advanced search and putting in the authors name because i knew it. Just then i was looking for an email in my inbox of hotmail from my wife so i put her name in the search bar..... apparently never had any emails from her ever or any email with her name in it - couldn't find any....... so its just me is it?!!

Sounds like you have a compression tester (I must have had mine for 30 yrs now...... about $1/yr) great tool to just put you on track rather than running in circles on problems. You probably know this - just what i was told - pull all the plugs and then when turning over get the person to hold their foot to the floor on accelerator - just clears that flow of air to compress and with all plugs out it will spin nice and freely.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 6:41 am

Weber kit has been ordered.

It also looks like the shocks I ordered through Amazon are finally on the way back to the original vendor. This dude will take them out of the packaging and send them out to Oz along with the Weber carbs plus some new steel linkage ball joints.

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 9:36 am

There can be a lot of different jets, chokes, air correction jets etc on a Weber carb. Are the carbs you are buying specifically set up for your car? If not you could be up for a lot of money on dynos and potential headaches. The beauty of those kits is it is all set up ready to bolt on. I remember the story about when they put the webers onto the charger and all the engineers and local experts couldn't get it to run just right like you need a production car to - they ended up sending a whole car over to the weber factory in Italy and they instantly got it right - carbies can be tricky things!
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 1:51 pm

I told him what car it is for.

The Redline Weber site says kit #K245

He has ordered it straight from them. I did send an email to Jam Engineering but never heard back from them. Bart looked on their web site (Jam Engineering)and couldn’t see a kit to replace my carbs, only a kit to replace Solex I think.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed this goes to plan.

Bartman4800
300 SLR
Model you own: w111

Post by Bartman4800 » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 2:08 pm

Also, double check you got the DGEV's. The E stands for electric choke, since you don't have a choke cable (you new fangled people) :laughing6:

Bart
1963 220 Sb Sedan "Kermit" (Australian Assembly)
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!
2006 Ford Focus "daily driver"
2002 VW Passat V6 30V Station Wagon (SOLD - This car into a money pit)
2011 Kia Sportage "Missus commuter Bus"
2002 Mitsubishi Rosa Bus (converting it to a motor home)

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 2:09 pm

Redline rings a bell - I reckon that's correct and sounds specific to yours. My apologies, just read into it that it could be just a couple of carbies and some linkages. Sounds like a good outcome all up. Just better to say things asap rather than chiming in later!
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 7:34 pm

Bloody oath, I appreciate all comments and thoughts.

Bart I'll ring the dude in the morning.

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 8:07 pm

Thought I better pull my finger out and do the compression test.

From left to right 180 170 170 170 170 175

I did them all twice

Bartman4800
300 SLR

Post by Bartman4800 » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 8:25 pm

That's pretty good!

You made sure the throttle was open while cranking?
And you made 5 revolutions at least?

Just to be sure...if you did not, it will only look better than the figures you already have.

Bart
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 9:05 pm

I jammed a piece of wood from the seat and it held the throttle all the way to the floor.

I cranked it about 6 to 7 revolutions. The first one was hard to count.

Also I just went back and checked on the Redline Weber site and the K245 kit does not appear to have electric chokes so I will phone the bloke in the morning and see if he can shed any light on the subject. At worst he can send them back and get the right ones. It will be a heap cheaper sending them back now while they are still in the States.

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 10:08 pm

Yep, that compression looks good. I just did a quick google and they look like DGEV:

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/kits/k245.htm
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 5:21 am

Patrick the bloke organising my carbs confirmed they are electric choke.

Photo of plugs my finger is touching #1. Front 3 aren’t as sooty as rear 3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 5:36 am

This is the set I replaced a couple of weeks ago
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bartman4800
300 SLR

Post by Bartman4800 » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 1:32 pm

Yes, there is definitely a difference of mixture in the front 3 vs the rear 3

Front 3 are running leaner (but still rich)

Can you get your hands on a vacuum meter? It would be interesting to do a bit of analysis there. You can tell a lot about an engine with a vacuum meter.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/05/ ... -problems/

Have you checked whether you brake booster is holding vacuum? Not sure whether it takes from the front or rear carb (the front on a finny)
I know you have given up on your zeniths already, but you might want to fiddle with them to see whether you can get things running fine.

Did it do a bit of idling before you pulled the plugs? The proper way to do it is take it for a drive and load up the engine.
Then switch it off immediately and analyze the plugs. It will always run richer at idle.

You telling me you have big flat spots, which is usually a sign for leaning out. Even if the accelerator pumps don't work it should run ok at half or full pedal (it just won't react properly)
So I would say your main jets are partially blocked or the emulsifier tubes.

Another problem could be the float level. You should really go at it from the start. If you fire truck it up, just put the webers on :laughing6:

Here is an idea how to tune them. https://www.benzworld.org/forums/vintag ... -help.html

Bart

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 6:24 pm

G'day mate how's it going?

I've thought about it for a day and I like your ideas but ........................

Webers are on the way man.

I'm only fit to polish and do easy stuff on my car sometimes (more and more often as I get older) So I'll do the couple of easy things but I reckon the carbs won't come apart.

Have a good one
Scott

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 6:57 pm

With the Webers you are going with something that I haven't heard a bad word about and there could be some wisdom in buying a car new to you, where you don't know the history, and lots of peoples have spent lots of hours trying to sort carb problems and you are just putting new ones on and will get to enjoy them for a very long time...... as opposed to potentially tearing your hair out for a while chasing a problem and then For King and country out for the Webers!

Mind you, looking at those second set of plugs, don't toss the old carbs out, or at least toss them my way because i suspect they are not too bad and may just need a good clean and tune. If you have space on a shelf, once nice original 108's become super rare in 20 yrs time you might want to put them back on to sell it for the retirement fund! I would drain the fuel out of them and wrap them up in lots of gladwrap.

And if it wasn't confirmed earlier, while i had my manual out i checked ignition timing and it says 2 degrees static and 4 to 12 BTDC at idling speed - 18to 25 at 1500 - 25 to 30 at 3000 - 42 to 48 at 4500rpm and range of vacuum advance 7 to 13 degrees. I don't recall it being so complicated but at least that gives you some numbers to look for if you put your timing light on it and see how it steps up with a helper holding at those different revs.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

drew56cus
Große
Region: Queensland

Post by drew56cus » Mon 05 Nov, 2018 7:43 am

The webers will still need to be balanced properly once they are on the car. I got an old school carb guy to do both zeniths and webers on my old carby finnies, made a world of difference compared to me trying to listen to the difference in suction noise.
Old war tales now. I remember once i bought an original 280S motor and box for $300. It had the zeniths. I just dropped the lot into my Cherry Bomb red finny and it ran like a charm. No hesitation off the line, god response, just lovely. I then had an issue with the car that i thought may have been due to crap in the carb so i pulled the tops off, cleaned out the bowls, and re-fitted them. It never ran the same again. I somehow made it leak - whether the gaskets didn't seal right, or perhaps I screwed the top down too hard and warped them, I don't know as I sold the car soon after.
I got to the bottom of my problem though, it was an electrical problem with the points and condenser. So make sure all the ignition is right as part of the problem solving. I see you have the nice new dizzy so that should be ok.
Good luck with the car! Cheers, Drew
PS - the good thing about the weber is that if you do get faeces in the carb from the fuel, you can pull the jet out without disassembling the whole top of the carb.
Another PS - my car sounded awesome with the webers and a hot dog exhaust.
Drew
'65 220SE 4.5 Frankenbenz finnie :)
'65 220SE/C (#1 project - Tenorite grey)
'64 300SE/C (#2 project)
'66 250SE/C (#3 project)

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Mon 05 Nov, 2018 7:34 pm

I’m probably going to take the manifold off tomorrow and make a start once I phone the bloke sending the carbs out from the States.

Pelicans dropped some stuff on my door step today so that means I can think about fitting a new bonet release cable and do the valve clearances.

Bartman4800
300 SLR

Post by Bartman4800 » Mon 05 Nov, 2018 8:42 pm

Why would you take the manifold off?

You can mount the new carbs without messing with the manifold (exhaust or intake).
The intake and exhaust manifold are a joint piece.
It's usually a bad idea to try to separate them. The bolts are all rusted and the gaskets between them will break.

Bart

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Mon 05 Nov, 2018 9:31 pm

The other reason to not remove is the studs to the head can break. Not the end of the world to get them out and get new ones, but worth considering leaving it on and avoiding all that hassle. But if you want to clean it all up, maybe paint motor etc then you should fine - but as mentioned I wouldn't split the two manifolds and getting exhaust off manifold can break things, but just bolts there from memory. Easy way is unbolt carbs, although also from memory might need to remove rocker cover to get into nuts etc.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 4:21 am

I thought I read that it is easier to remove the two manifolds as one unit to change the carbs.

I originally thought I had a bad exhaust leak at the manifold but I have now traced it to the join between manifold and engine pipe.

I'll check it out if I can get to the nuts for the carbs and leave the manifolds on the engine.

Thanks for the warning

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 8:53 am

An easy one to start the day.

New bonet cable, clean and lube patch and new bonet stop rubbers

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 8:53 am

Old rubbers rock hard or missing

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 4:27 pm

Yes i think we all agree manifolds should stay in one piece, the discussion was just if to leave in place. Mind you, if the engine pipe join has been leaking a while and want to check that and have to move those bolts anyway then the manifold studs are the only potential risk. Just bear in mind you can lean on those nuts too much before the studs will break. The other thing i forgot about that might give you a reason to pull the manifolds off, is if the flaps for the warm up bit are seized. It is like two weights with a bimetallic spring and when cold they direct exhaust to warm the inlet manifold and then once warm they close off to reduce that induction temp for more performance. They can lock in position, sometimes just one.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Bartman4800
300 SLR

Post by Bartman4800 » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 6:14 pm

Better check first if you have a manifold like that Scott.

My ozzie assembled finnie has a manifold without the flap, while my German assembled one has it (and it's seized)

We are talking about the roundish black things in the bottom of the picture (which are the counterweights for the flaps)

http://oldmercguy.co.za/shop/spares-for ... -manifold/

Bart

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 6:37 pm

I think by the time they assembled Scotts car they had finished in Australia - I've never seen a 280 without it.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 6:42 pm

Exhaust leak at engine pipe was an easy fix. The pipe was loose and it burned part of the gasket away.

It was even easier putting it back together without the carbs in place.

Now I need to go look up YouTube to work out how to set the valve clearances. I checked a couple of inlets and they are OK, but the first exhaust valve I checked needs adjusting.

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 6:45 pm

Mine are seized. Not sure if that’s open or closed.

Bartman4800
300 SLR

Post by Bartman4800 » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 6:48 pm

Happens a lot.

Try to keep spraying a good penetrant oil on the shaft points.
You can give the counterweights a slight tap to try to loosen them.

The function of these flaps is to direct heat towards or away from the intake manifold.
There is a bimetal spring (usually broken) which rotates the assembly once it has heated up.

The evaporation of petrol takes a lot of heat, and on cooler days it can actually freeze up the carb or create petrol puddles in the intake manifold.

My car is fair weather only :laughing6:

Bart

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Wed 07 Nov, 2018 2:07 pm

I have a feeling my car will be the same Bart. Fair weather only. They really seem stuck.

I'm slowly ordering some other bits and pieces. It's interesting on the Rock Auto site that once you get to a certain amount of items in your cart the origin of those items can change from A to B and then they charge extra for delivery. So some items come from origin A, some from origin B, and some from origin C so you can get up to 3 delivery charges depending what you put in your cart.

A gear selector shift handle comes from location B along with some other bits and pieces, but once I add some LED globes (they come from location A) it is OK and I have 2 lots of shipping.
BUT once I add "too many" LED globes still from location A the gear selector handle moves to location C, the other part in location B stays where is was and all the LED globes stay in location A which means they want you to pay 3 different shipping amounts.

I got around this by dividing the purchase up between my desk top computer and my phone. A little bit of stuffing around, but I found it interesting how things changed as you added more to your cart.

I'm also part way through the process of ordering all the door seals and rear window seal from DB Depot. Just waiting to hear back with a final price

Slowly getting there

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Wed 07 Nov, 2018 5:42 pm

Got the horn working from the horn ring on the steering wheel. It had a button up under the dash board so it would pass rego I guess, but totally useless if you needed to sound it in a hurry.

I reckon the trouble they went to putting in the button up under the dash, it would have been quicker and easier to clean up the contacts in the steering wheel along with the brushes and the 2 rings they run on.

I had a quick look at the indicator mechanism, but couldn't see anything obvious as to why it will not easily stay in place when indicating either left or right. I might just pull it out again and give it a gentle clean and a light lube.

Any thoughts on the indicator switch are welcome.

Bartman4800
300 SLR

Post by Bartman4800 » Wed 07 Nov, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi Scott, it might be worn out, or the ball detent might be missing. But clean out the crud first and it might start working. Soaking in vinegar does wonders for copper contacts.

Good work on the horn!
Do you get a chord? The horn units each make a different sound.

Bart

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Wed 07 Nov, 2018 6:57 pm

I think that was possibly one of the fist things i learnt from JG and probably 20 yrs ago now! With the indicators just pull it out and with a round file slightly deepen the groove for the detent - doesn't need much but should see you through and i have never had to redo one i have done.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Bartman4800
300 SLR

Post by Bartman4800 » Wed 07 Nov, 2018 7:32 pm

Don't you love it how you can fix those old Mercs with a file and a pair of pliers :love10:

Bart

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 6:18 am

Cheers for the tip Craig

Indicator mechanism now works perfectly, I even polished up the chrome stem. I used Meguiar's trim detailer on the rubber boots and steering wheel etc. All looks and works great.

merc-304
Finnie
Model you own: w126

Post by merc-304 » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 2:14 pm

You know because your having such a dream run with these little maintenance jobs......you really should remove those Manifolds...seperate the two ...new gaskets ..free up the Flaps and fit new studs to the head....
380 SEC

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 4:25 pm

Dam it and g’day

I was sort of hoping no one recommended I pull the manifold, but do you reckon it’s a worthwhile thing?

I do have a manifold gasket and nuts, just not the gasket between the two on that spacer thing.

I guess it’s not that hard from here if there’s a decent benefit.

Had a slack day today, but tunes front and rear now so worth while.

No genuine parts where damaged during the installation

merc-304
Finnie
Model you own: w126

Post by merc-304 » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 7:41 pm

Yeh go on....will need doing at some stage so why not now
Also give you a chance to to clean up the Ali inlet and paint the exhaust side before mounting those beautiful brand new Webers : -]
And dont forget the high temp anti seize on all nut and bolt and stud threads..
380 SEC

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Fri 09 Nov, 2018 10:07 am

Postie just swung by.

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Fri 09 Nov, 2018 1:13 pm

Fitted the shocks, greased the front end and changed the brake fluid all round.

I hope I don't accidently fit the Webers just to see how they go before I do the other stuff that I should do but I probably will do latter.

Bartman4800
300 SLR

Post by Bartman4800 » Fri 09 Nov, 2018 1:18 pm

Exciting times!

Let me know if you need a hand creating adapter plates. I can create a DXF file for water jet cutters if you give me dimensions.

Bart

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Mon 12 Nov, 2018 8:20 pm

I pulled the tops off the carbs and checked float level before I use them.

I think this is how to do it without a proper gauge.

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Mon 12 Nov, 2018 8:23 pm

The photo isn’t oriented right.

I had the float on it’s side just closing the needle and seat but not pushing in the spring.

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Mon 12 Nov, 2018 8:27 pm

I just went into my camera and I must of had my phone upside down.

Beers on a Sunday arvo will do that

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Sat 17 Nov, 2018 2:38 pm

Finally got back to the valve clearances and all are good now.

Still waiting on carby linkages, but I might bolt them up and run the fuel lines. Just can’t bring myself to pull the manifold off. I want to drive it now.

Scottyx
S Class

Post by Scottyx » Sat 17 Nov, 2018 2:40 pm

And an important job for the sharp edge of the checker plate/speaker combo.

The pichweld arrived in the mail

Return to “W108/109”