General News, Summer Service Plans & Detailing

1979-1991 280SE, 300SE, 300SEL, 380SE, 380SEL, 380SEC, 420SE, 420SEL, 420SEC, 500SE, 500SEL, 500SEC, 560SEL, 560SEC
mrsecman
Pagoda
Model you own: w126

General News, Summer Service Plans & Detailing

Post by mrsecman » Tue 01 Nov, 2016 1:07 am

Hi All. Back on here after a hiatus to restructure my business, work my arse off on my many irons in the fire, and a scoot to Bali.

Commencing soon - whenever to weather in Adelaide/South East decides to actually become SPRING and stop raining and blowing - will be a major detailing job I'll be doing with Dad. Seats will be out to be cleaned and creamed and motors, moving parts oiled and greased. Carpets will be deep cleaned. Rear parcel shelf to be converted into speaker area for new JL's and will lay some additional speaker cable for side speakers. Probably will run an additional layer of noise damper as well, given the new gear available these days for just that.

Trims will be removed and windows serviced, everything lubricated and tightened, with some new seals as needed. Any hidden paintwork will be cut and polished. Roof liner will also be cleaned. I might even find that loose thing that's floating around the place that makes a noise when hard turning!

Then the new low profile wool covers for the front seats will be fitted. New Alpine head will also be installed. Planning as well on running some grey or black foam in various little holes and dash areas where dash light creeps through.

Finally we'll head to the engine bay and detail that, before finalising with a full body cut and polish.

Key items I'll tack whilst the door and rear trims are off will be removing the glass and tinting that properly, which seems to be the only way to get to all the glass. No issue.

Also going to chase this issue with the low speed grinding brakes, and an underside service and clean and grind aka KimH. He did a pretty special job!

This will pan out probably through late Nov/Dec so I'll take lots of pics and shoot them through.

Meantime, 258000Km oil change this week. Normally every 5000Km but the oil has been almost like new since 250000Km but want to get it in before the weather changes to HOT.
--
mrsecman

1984 380SEC ('83 Update) - Thistle Green, Top Condition, 2-1/4" Magnaflow Exhaust w/HiFlow Centre Mufflers, Interior Modifications
1994 Honda Accord VTi-S - Daily Runabout - SOLD 2015 (Good New Home) - Thanks for the Service

pastelgrey300D
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w111

Re: General News, Summer Service Plans & Detailing

Post by pastelgrey300D » Tue 01 Nov, 2016 10:59 am

Sounds good - I don't know if it's just a psychological thing but knowing that the car is all clean under there is very reassuring! I remember how different it felt when I had stripped out the interior of my W123 240D and then cleaned, lubricated and refurbished everything to within an inch of its life - just knowing that everything inside was spotless - even the stuff you couldn't see - was a great feeling - maybe it's my mild OCD.

RE: The hidden paintwork, just wondering if cut and polish on hidden paint is a bit extreme? Just a good clean with CT18 wash to remove all the grime and the paintwork underneath should be nice and smooth and shiny and just need a regular polish? Unless it's areas where there has been trim touching the paint and the vibration of the trim has rubbed the paint?

If you need a recommendation for brake work, All Clutch and Brake in St Marys (Pinn Street behind the fire station) are fantastic. More than happy to fit your own parts as well if you want to go shopping at MB spares and get new rotors etc.
David
1967 W111 230S - Horizonblau
1965 W110 190c - Mittelrot
1967 W110 200D - Weiss (work in progress)
+ other classics

mrsecman
Pagoda

Post by mrsecman » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 11:39 pm

In latest news (back on here after a break), new front rotors and pads fitted today, plus new accumulator to rectify the slow hot start issues, though in doing so we uncovered a likely issue with the auxiliary air slider which affects hot start idle uptick and idle control for air when compressor in use. New part for this is expensive so will investigate second hand or aftermarket options. Hence next post!

As we head into spring, carpet clean is still on the agenda and paintwork is dying for a polish, wax and buff. Will also paint the grille and make some other odd replacements and improvements.

Stereo head was DONE in Autumn, now to replace speakers with a retrofit. I think I stopped counting the dollars a while ago (I lie, I keep track), but she's worth it. Will also look into a rim detail and coat with an anti-dust spray I've heard about.

More to come.
--
mrsecman

1984 380SEC ('83 Update) - Thistle Green, Top Condition, 2-1/4" Magnaflow Exhaust w/HiFlow Centre Mufflers, Interior Modifications
1994 Honda Accord VTi-S - Daily Runabout - SOLD 2015 (Good New Home) - Thanks for the Service

kimrh
300 SLR

Post by kimrh » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 9:28 am

Gee no need to remove any glass to tint it
Once the trims are off on the doors and the rear passenger glass you have access to trim the tint below the level of the door trim edge
87 White Euro 500SEC "ECE" 195kw
88 Black Euro 560SEC 220kw
89 Midnight Blue Euro 560SEL hydro 220kw AMG Kitted
http://www.flickr.com/photos/krh2013/sets/72157632548663623/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/krh2013/albums/72157668572599252

Return to “W126”