The carpet cleaning thingy is really most impressive. In my case, as Mercmad noted, dirt is designed to collect on the inside of the trumpet however. The process for cleaning the unit is to dunk the thing in a bucket of water and pull the trigger. With the sorry state of the carpet in the 380 SE this was a regular occurrence. In the end, I decided to use the unit over the carpet twice and the second application made a worthwhile difference. And so the work continues....
And no, please, don't send me a car, I have another 467 projects lined up after this one!
Apart from the carpets, I'm still battling with the leather. The first application with the leather cleaner by Paul really didn't work well. So I ended up going over the seats again with a more concentrated solution of the recommended cleaner. This worked a treat, and the leather cleaned up very nicely second time around. Luckily we had some very warm days of late, so after the intensive cleaning the leather was dressed and left in the warmth of the setting sun. The result of which, the leather has gained much suppleness, and surprisingly, that lovely leather aroma has returned with a vengeance.
This is what I used on the leather
After application of the cleaner, a moist rag is used to wipe the seat down. This wet process has the secondary function of opening up the pores of the leather making it very receptive to the leather dressing. I can recommend a warm day for this. The seats have been out of the car for some three weeks now and after two intensive cleaning applications and two heavy applications of the leather dressing, they seem to be returning to something resembling a nice seat.
Two examples of the leather cleaning, you can clearly see the lines where the cleaning solution has been used.
Once the seats are removed, it's startling to see just how grotty they can become, assuming the car hasn't been cleaned for 29 years, I am sure this is the case!
I might do another clean and dressing if a warm days presents itself. So far, they are looking good.
The next job was to continue to remove the door trims (They were in fact, quite foul, so the Dissol will appear for that cleaning episode). Apart from wanting the check and lubricate the window and door lock mechanisms, the trim removal will assist with the next episode. The paintless dent removal of the numerous dents and knocks in the exterior. Of course, one always frets at the possibility of handing the car over to someone whom I may have to admit could just do a better job than myself! In this case, paintless dent removal for me would I suspect like attempting brain surgery with a chainsaw, so happily I turned the car over to Adam at "IndciDENTS" in North Coburg. I removed the door trims along with the upper door mouldings and mirrors should access be required from the top of the door.
On removing the drivers side trim, I discovered the reason for the wobbly action of the drivers side window. Fearing a broken slider in the regulator, this was in fact, not the case. The problem being the motor assembly was loose where it screws to the inner door frame and one of the fasteners was missing, they were luckily sitting in the bottom of the door frame.
Isn't it amusing just how much space a car interior takes up, I have this car strewn all over the factory, bits everywhere!
Back to the paintless dent removal. I took the car to Adam and we went around it together and he marked the areas requiring attention with a pen. Of course he found many more dents than I could see, but when he pointed them out, they stood out like mad!
Adam and the team are very professional, a picture outside his factory (That's Adam in the middle) and the phone number in the background if you need dents removed, properly! I can thoroughly recommend him.
The next issue will be the repair to the DSR wheel arch and subsequent painting, along with the removal of the damaged skirts and their painting and replacement. More later....