A wealth of information here to help you find your way through OZBENZ Forums
Stretch
Dernburg Wagon
Model you own: w126
Region: New South Wales

Stretch

Post by Stretch » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi ..All..
New member from Broken Hill NSW. Had a couple of mercs previously. Mechanic by trade bought an old 380sel stretch, spanmore conversion,some time ago which has been languishing in the red dust. Needs to be restored has a few issues but will make a great school run vehicle when its put back on the road😉 glad to be here and hope it helps me as a resources tool
Thanks
Jonesy

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Re: Stretch

Post by CraigB » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 2:24 pm

Welcome Jonesy. I sound like a broken record but only because of the disasters we hear from time to time. Being a mechanic you will know what can happen with broken timing chains but all these M117's have a habit of snapping an internal plastic timing chain guide. Goes between chain and cam sprocket and all hell breaks loose! If car has been sitting and no history of replacing, its a good idea to replace and probably tensioner and check chain/sprockets for stretch/wear. Lots of reference to this on Forums here and OS. Good luck with an interesting car.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Stretch
Dernburg Wagon

Post by Stretch » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 3:44 pm

Cooling system rotted out I suspect head gasket symptoms boiling ect couple of bottles of chemiweld shut it up but don’t think it’s worth repair so either a transplant from merc or elsewhere .. looks ok but bit of rot in roof sill where stretch has been added vinyl roofs are moisture collectors fair bit of bog in sides where it’s been stretched too might look for a donor parts car when time comes.

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 9:33 pm

Yes, there still seems to be cheap cars with a few issues and you can pick up the right car with the bits you need it could be a good move. I thought i saw a high comp 500 recently missing interior or something like that, which you would think would have a limited market. Not sure how well you know the models but a 380/500 is gen 1 up to '85 and then subsequent gen 2 went 420/560 and also imports come as a 500 but those gen 2 500's are a sweet motor and would give you some extra ponies to pull stretch around. Others know this stuff off the top of their heads but I think they use the 560 heads with bigger valves and ports, cams and higher 10:1 compression with free flowing tri-y headers standard - combined with the shorter stroke, same bore as 560 - its a good combo. I think output is something like same as standard 560 - but they come in a high comp version too. But then maybe the longer stroke of the 560 is a good thing, but it was quite recent i saw this other car - ebay probably.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Stretch
Dernburg Wagon

Post by Stretch » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 2:57 pm

See a few done with donks out of other things but transplants out of something else always turn into nightmares from what Ive seen. Reliability is the main priority will probably pull down whatever I get for a freshen up unless I drive it home and its all sweet . A long drive soon shows up any issues and from anywhere to Broken Hill is a long drive 😂😂 😉

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 11:54 pm

Yes agreed - taking nothing away from those that want something different or want huge HP, but I don't know of any conversions that didn't have a cost way beyond what is possible just bolting something in that was designed to be there. One line you often hear is about 'cheap parts and reliability' but the standard items can be very reliable and parts can be very reasonable from the right sources and depending on model. If you found a car with good compression/ leak down test - then chain/guides as discussed and potentially valve stem seals then not much else is a problem. Air leaks in the induction/injection system is common so replacing all those little rubbers perhaps. Injection can have problems, but if it runs sweet in a car you bought then it should be fine.

Also with transplants, later gen 2 cars had knock sensors and things that had other wires, but I think i have read ... maybe from Mercmad who really knows his stuff... that fitting earlier bits is a simpler and better way to go - ie. wouldn't need the extra wiring etc. - or just get an earlier car if you can find one with good motor. I reckon though the bigger capacity of the 500 might help with the bigger car.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

AMG
OZBENZ Admin

Post by AMG » Sun 29 Apr, 2018 5:07 pm

the m116 3.8 is really underpowered for a stretched lwb 126.

Mate of mine has 2 - not sure who did your conversion but there are occasionally issues with the RWC and having the paperwork for engineering. Being a mechanic I'm sure you will be aware of those pitfalls and all is in order though.

the 5.0 m117 or 5.6 m117 is the best powerplant for these vehicles, very torquey down low, and smooth linear power delivery.

Apart from the need for a new radiator, you'll likely find that a donor engine and transmission are cheaper in the longterm. If rust is an issue, then a donor 500SEL or 560 SEL would be beneficial, but the problem with donor cars is they are either completely shagged in the body and cosmetically, or the engine and drivetrain are peroperly abused from lack of regular maintenance.

Have a look in the reference library section for all the necessary mechanical stuff, and in the w126 section for the model-specific information. There's plenty of it!

good luck with the limo. they are heaps of fun to ride in.
Current:
1987 560SL 4sp. auto Signalrot "Stella"
1987 190E 2.3-16 5sp. man. Blauschwarz "Hermann"
1992 300CE-24 6sp. man. Perlblau / Iceblau "Gretel"
1992 Range Rover Classic 4sp auto Ardennes Green "Oswald"
2012 E63 AMG Speedshift MCT Diamantweiß "Klaus"
Previous:
1986 560SEL Anthracitgrau "Schultz" - In Mercedes Heaven
1987 190E 2.6 4sp. auto Signalrot "Sabine" - which now resides/owns Andrew M's Garage
1972 350SLC Astralsilber "Lurch" - now in the loving care of Craig B
1989 2.5-16 Blauschwarz 4sp. auto (parted) formerly owned by Derek/Hasan.
2012 Renault Sport Megane RS265 Trophy 8:08 6 sp. man. Liquid Yellow "Jean Rédélé"

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 8:21 am

I just saw this come up on ebay again. Obviously you can't drive it home and you need to transport somehow.... and i don't know how hard it is wiring in the modern knock sensor etc. but I am guessing it has the loom. Might want to check if you can hear it running too. But just a thought - obviously he wants more than 600 but buy it now at 1300 and if still no interest in it you would think you would get it somewhere inbetween those two figures.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/282944452730?ul_noapp=true
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Stretch
Dernburg Wagon

Post by Stretch » Fri 04 May, 2018 11:32 am

Would definately be the way to go . But woe is to me poverty strikes at the heart of my aspirations currently.Hopefully when my current financial embarressment has past there will be something around on the market to fulfill my needs😁 The ol girl is a Spanmore conversion and has an actual compliance plate as a stretch conversion rather than engineers certificate so hopefully blue slip wont be too much drama 🤔? Also have old rego papers ex NSW so will feed them into system to see what they say ? I have a authorised inspection licence for roadworthys so know a bit about the rms site and have some rally mates with local workshop that do all inspections so will have a little sus to see what the guvmemt require 😂😂

Return to “Welcome to OZBENZ!”