Newcomers Please stop here first.
A wealth of information here to help you find your way through OZBENZ Forums
Flatwhite
Dernburg Wagon
Model you own: w123
Region: New South Wales

Introduction post

Post by Flatwhite » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 12:11 am

Hi all, just registered tonight and wanted to say hi and let you all know that I haven't stopped smiling since picking up my first Mercedes Benz. I remember watching as a child the local doctors, architects, business people driving around in these amazing looking and innovative vehicles. And now I have one!!! How times have changed. Well it's probably one of the above mention off casts being a 1976 model. But what the hell!!! I feel as important as they did driving it.
I had almost given up hope in my search to own one, then this came along. It's a 12th month build 1976 W123 250 saloon. I would regard it as a survivor car. Very original AND!!! Rust free I have been all over it in the last 3 days since owning it and can't find any.
Had a quick look in the forum site where it would be categorised but there doesn't seem to be another 250 in the W123 section?
It does need a few tweaks here and there. Like getting the A/C working again. I was told by the woman I bought it from that it had been decommissioned by an aircon place because it used the old type of gas. Not my words!!! And the other problem that I need to address sooner rather than later. Is the sag in the rear end and bottoming out over humps and pot holes.
So if I could be pointed in the right direction where to find some info, that would be great.
Thanks all!!!

Chai
OZBENZ moderator
Model you own: w107

Re: Introduction post

Post by Chai » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 1:42 pm

Welcome to OzBenz.
Lovely to hear your car is rust-free as that'll be the major issue with the 40ish year old cars.

Problem with the original air-conditioning is that most air-conditioning places no longer have stock of the CFC gas. Even then, you don't know if the aircon hoses are porous and/or the compressor seals are up to their job. Meaning, it may leak when recharged.

If it's a keeper car, consider a R134a gas conversion. It'll retain most of the original equipment and, if there's slow gas leaks, at least it'll not deplete the ozone layer, plus the gas recharge cost won't be expensive.

Chai
Chai
1974 450SLC

matthewz108
C Class
Model you own: w108

Post by matthewz108 » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 2:48 pm

Welcome to the club, and every time I jump in my W108, I still look over the bonnet and instantly smile.

I've tried it on friends and family that are traditional muscle car enthusiasts, and once they sit in the drivers seat, I hear them whisper a little..."wow"...

Starting from good bones is always easier - good luck with it. I haven't played with rear suspension or A/C so can't help with those issues, but I'm sure someone on here will be able to help.
1971 W108 280SE 3.5
1982 R107 500SL

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 9:17 pm

Chances are there may be seals and issues in the A/c but I think you can recharge with 'hichill' into the old R12 system and avoid the ozone issues. Maybe chat to a few different A/c places - there are some divided opinions on the topic of gases. I have run hichill without issue.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Flatwhite
Dernburg Wagon
Model you own: w123
Region: New South Wales

Post by Flatwhite » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 9:46 pm

Thanks guys
I’m guessing there are going to be issues with the rubber lines. I’ll see if there is a shop that can perhaps pressure test the lines before they attempt to re-gas
Cheers

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB » Tue 12 Mar, 2019 3:20 pm

I preface this with 'I'm no expert' - and i know Chai has lots of experience and I have great respect for his advice. If having trouble being able to test the lines, just make the comment that i haven't had trouble with even quite old lines and more commonly its been compressor seal and more recently o-ring seals. If you get your compressor sorted and give it your best shot and then invest in one regas and they use a dye, you should be able to tell from dye leaking in lines etc if that is a problem - and might be ok.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Return to “Welcome to OZBENZ!”