Star Shots! - Show us your Ride

1968 - 1976: 220, 220D, 230, 230.4, 230.6, 240D, 250, 250C, 250CE, 280, 280E, 280CE, 300D
W114 Coupe
C Class
Model you own: w114

Re: Star Shots! - Show us your Ride

Post by W114 Coupe »

Hi Everyone,
I am a new member to the forum so I wanted to say hello. I have included a photo of my 1969 W114, 250C I bought it about three months ago for less than $4k and am thrilled with it. As you would expect for her age she has a few character marks here and there but seems to be pretty original which is how I plan to keep it.
This is my second MB, I used to have a W116, again a great car but the coupe is, in my opinion so much more exciting. There is nothing like driving with all windows down enjoying the pillarless styling of the car.

Thanks to the internet and this forum I have discovered that the dimmer control on the dash cluster is most likely the reason my dash lights don't work and that broken metal straps are why my doors will not stay open, so thank you to all who have assisted.

I am interested to know if anyone has any idea how you would set about trying to fix the vacuum system that operates the seat back locks which I believe are supposed to engage when the engine is running and doors are closed? I would love to get it fixed, as with no seat belts in the back it doesn't seem wise to have rear passengers. I am guessing that putting seat belts in the back is probably a much cheaper option but I fear it will take away from the cars authenticity. I have poured over the internet and looked through the parts manual for the car but can't find a diagram or solution. No doubt it will be a job for a professional but I would love to know. I look forward to any advice.

IMG_0611.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SHAGGERS
C Class
Model you own: w115

Post by SHAGGERS »

Nice original looking coupe enjoy.
Benz Hur
M-100
Model you own: w111

Post by Benz Hur »

Very nice looking 250C! Pictures of the interior?
Michael

'62 W111 220SE sedan German built, front bench. Esmerelda
'70 W114 250CE sold
'72 W114 280C in DB-606 (Maple Yellow) PNG import. Celeste
John Green
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Post by John Green »

W114 Coupe wrote:Hi Everyone,
I am interested to know if anyone has any idea how you would set about trying to fix the vacuum system that operates the seat back locks which I believe are supposed to engage when the engine is running and doors are closed? I would love to get it fixed, as with no seat belts in the back it doesn't seem wise to have rear passengers. I am guessing that putting seat belts in the back is probably a much cheaper option but I fear it will take away from the cars authenticity. I have poured over the internet and looked through the parts manual for the car but can't find a diagram or solution. No doubt it will be a job for a professional but I would love to know. I look forward to any advice.
There will be threaded holes in the parcel shelve and under the seats for seatbelts. They just bolt straight in.

The vacuum seat locks are switched from the door light switch. The most common leak is from the diaphragm under the seats. Start a thread on the seat locks and I are sure we can talk you though it.
Kind regards, / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

John Green, Member Institute Automotive Mechanical Engineers

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.
W114 Coupe
C Class

Post by W114 Coupe »

Hi John,
As requested, here is a few more photos :)
IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ansteadeh
C 111
Region: Queensland

Post by ansteadeh »

Twins!! Looks like mine......
W114 Coupe
C Class

Post by W114 Coupe »

Hi ansteadeh,
Yours looks immaculate!! How long have you had yours? I note it is manual, Is it fun to drive?
ansteadeh
C 111

Post by ansteadeh »

Had it about 3 yrs. Building a motor for it at the moment. PO cooked it and abandoned it. Have only driven it a very short distance before pulling out the motor.

Should be good when finished
Benz Hur
M-100

Post by Benz Hur »

ansteadeh wrote:Twins!! Looks like mine......
Make that triplets! My '70 250CE is white as well, but with dark green/black interior. It's not going to remain white though...

ansteadeh - did you buy your car from a guy on the forum out Toowoomba way?

So jealous of the manual trans! But that's my first mission with this car.

Viva la 114 Coupes! :love4:
Michael

'70 W114 250CE sold
W114 Coupe
C Class

Post by W114 Coupe »

Hello my new amigos ( being that there are now three of us ) do either of you have the pneumatic seat locks in your cars? If so do they work well or am I fixated on something that even in the best working order isn't that great?
ansteadeh
C 111

Post by ansteadeh »

Sorry I cant answer the question re the vacuum in the seats as I hevent really had it running long enough to check

BenzHur - yep it is the Toowoomba car that was advertised on this list a few yrs ago.
Benz Hur
M-100

Post by Benz Hur »

Re the vacuum seat locks mine work fine for the most part - sometimes get stuck when my 7 y.o nephew is in the back and when I stop the car he prematurely tries to push the seat forward before I've turned the engine off and opened his door! But I think that's more of a 7 y.o boy problem than a 40 y.o car problem. I think it's an ingenius mechanism, but that's Mercedes for you. Perhaps send Mercmad or John Green a private message asking about it, they will know how to daignose and likely fix the problem.

ansteadh - that was a good purchase! Manual 114's seem few and far between. How did you find the action of the shifter and the clutch when you had the car on the road? Are they a heavy clutch?
Michael

'70 W114 250CE sold
ansteadeh
C 111

Post by ansteadeh »

Clutch is not heavy at all. It is exactly the same setup as my manual 240D. The gearboxes look identical in size and linkage fitment etc. MB must have bene on a good thing as there is 10 yrs difference between my 250CE and the 240D
Benz Hur
M-100

Post by Benz Hur »

Thanks for the inside info ansteadeh, good to know!
Michael

'70 W114 250CE sold
Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w109

Post by Mercmad »

yes the linkage etc is the same , all very basic and simple and I have the dimensions somewhere to make bronze bushes for the rods to make the shift more accurate . The shift is a bit balky when you when you try to drive fast ,not smooth like more modern trannys. The big advantage is that they are indestructible .
The USA seems to have a lot and possibly south Africa. I know someone who has a new 5 speed ($$$) .
Giles
300 SL Gullwing
Model you own: I own multiple different models
Region: Western Australia

Post by Giles »

Giles wrote:My daughters W114 coupe from the panel shop. She loves this car, still misses the sedan though.

Now with a new front left hand guard,a backyard spit and polish, a white series 1 steering wheel, two new rear sway bar links and a car stereo fitted by yours truely.
IMGP0085.JPG
IMGP0089.JPG
Regards,

Giles
Car sold today, got an offer that was too good to refuse and my daughter is happy. Now she has a 21st century economical car with only 67K Kms with AC that works.

A guy asked me a fews ago would I be interested in selling the car, I said no at the time but my daughter has been concerned that the car will get damaged as she has no off street parking and works shift hours as well as Uni. The guy who bought it offered a good swap or cash, I took the swap and all parties are happy. Now I can get back to work on my coupe.

Sad to see it go but at it has gone to another good home and it's local.

Regards,

Giles
1988 V126 560SEL Poida The King wears white
1981 C107 500SLC Lola. The Queen wears black
1989 V126 420SEL Shaun The Jack wears black
2007 X164 500GL James The Joker wears black

http://www.kudoscc.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/kudoscc?mibextid=LQQJ4d
Benz Hur
M-100

Post by Benz Hur »

What was the swap for?
Michael

'70 W114 250CE sold
Giles
300 SL Gullwing

Post by Giles »

Benz Hur wrote:What was the swap for?
2002 one owner Nissan Pulsar sedan, one elderly gentleman owner and as mentioned low 67,000 Kms. Auto, air, power steering, central locking , four new tyres and no accident damage. Looks, drives and smells like new. My daughter is happy, I'm pleased as the car won't require the same attention as the coupe would have and less to concern ourselves with.

Cars with higher mileage were $7-8K and cars with similar mileage were $8k private and $10k yard. The seller manages a local stealership, so no doubt he picked up the Nissan for a song, but what was important that there wasn't a change over price nor transfer fees as he paid them.

Regards,

Giles

benznewbie
Dernburg Wagon

Post by benznewbie »

I just got my 72 250C back from the shop after some expensive transmission works. She shifts very smoothly now. After that expense, I'd like to tackle a project I can do myself.
That said, I'd like to refinish the wood trim. From experience repairing German table radios I know Germans used a polyester based finish which was nearly indestructible. The underlying wood expands and contracts at a different rate than the finish eventually cracking it. They applied it thickly, almost a mm! Normal finish removers have no effect on it. Sanding is out of the question, as the veneer is extremely thin.
So the question is, how do I remove this old, stubborn, cracked finish?
swells64

Post by swells64 »

_99A0757.JPG
This is my 1975 W114 250 (M130 engine) with 100k on the clock! Originally purchased in the UK it was shipped to Australian 1980 with no rust. Interior is unmarked and perfect. I bought it in November and have had the carbies rebuilt, full service including gearbox, new engine mounts and drive shaft coupling. I also sourced some genuine Mercedes rear retractable seat belts from Germany. Everything is stock except for the modern `Becker' look-a-like stereo that has ipod connectivity and a dual cone rear speaker. This is a magic car that shames some modern vehicles in terms of braking and steering.
SBW108
170s

Post by SBW108 »

here's a few pics of my recently acquired 280e
php1EzxHNAM.jpg
php8l8ge4AM.jpg
phpdhzY30AM.jpg
'73 W114 280E
'75 W114 280E
John Green
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Post by John Green »

W114 Coupe wrote:Hello my new amigos ( being that there are now three of us ) do either of you have the pneumatic seat locks in your cars? If so do they work well or am I fixated on something that even in the best working order isn't that great?

Go here: viewforum.php?f=7

Click new Topic and call is "vacuum seat locks". The reason for this is that it makes it easier years after for someone else to follow the thread of the seat lock repairs. if we bury it in the "Show us your ride" section it is much harder to follow.
Kind regards, / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

John Green, Member Institute Automotive Mechanical Engineers

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.
Increase
A Class

Post by Increase »

Here is my baby, W114 280 1973
Drivers Side.gif
Passenger Side.gif
Internal Front.gif
Internal Rear.gif
I have a few things to tidy up, I'm loving it..
Cheers
Michael

1973 W114 280 Daily drive
1999 Toyota Liteace Noah (The Wifes)
zacks280
Dernburg Wagon

Post by zacks280 »

Hi, this is my W114 280CE that I've been working on for 3 years
:dance:
Giles
300 SL Gullwing

Post by Giles »

Look in' good Zack. Can you post more photos please. I like the centre console, did you do it yourself or was it borrowed from something else?

Giles

scorchi0
500 K
Model you own: w124

Post by scorchi0 »

Giles wrote:Look in' good Zack. Can you post more photos please. I like the centre console, did you do it yourself or was it borrowed from something else?

Giles
Looks like its a non-A/C console Giles.

Trent.
1991 S124 300TE - Smoke Silver
1993 C124 320CE - Brilliant Silver
Image Image
zacks280
Dernburg Wagon

Post by zacks280 »

Hi to all and thanks for your comments Giles
just a bit about the car,it is a fully factory optioned,built 4/73 last of the twin bumper version with sunroof,first purchased by a Darling Point lady 9/74
I bought it for my wife(she liked the looks) and it ended up as my project ,my brother (mechanic with 30ye exp) helped with some problems like front end ets
the car has all new parts fitted,bushes tyre rod ends,new MB shocks,K-Mac springs,new exaust,the A/C was converted and new compressor & pulley fitted,recoed the diff and power steering pump,it had minimal rust which was all done,new side windows & door seals, boot seal,hood lining,new orig sunroof panel and seal kit,new orig(got it from Germany)roof liner and visors,hence the mirror on drivers side,new carpet and underlay,
the seats,steering wheel,ashtray,centre console switch panel,arm rest are all leather,leather head rests with 9"monitors,touch screen cd/dvd,mp3/4, bluetooth,Alpine digital processor
total dolby sound,12V Inverter,PS3 in the boot as we have two kids and they love the car
the paint is Porsche olive pearl,18" rims,I have the orig bunt rims,the spare still has the orig tyre on it

Giles the console is original retrimmed but the armrest part is a 1984 corolla console retrimmed and refabricated to have a cup holder(necessity these days)
Trent what do you mean by A/C console??
AMG
OZBENZ Admin
Region: New South Wales

Post by AMG »

Nice Colour Zack, although I am not a fan of the lorinser style wheels. IMHO the car would look cooler with something a little more period-specific in that department.

Nonetheless it's looking good. Compact coupes are always nice to look at.
Current:
107.048 722.313 Signalrot Stella
124.051 716.62 Perlblau / Iceblau Gretel
201.034 717.404 Blauschwarz Hermann
212.074 722.931 Diamantweiß Klaus
124.090 722.358 Malachit Grün Beatrix

Previous:
126.039 Anthracitgrau "Schultz" - In Mercedes Heaven
201.029 Signalrot "Sabine" - has taken ownership of Andrew's Garage
107.023 Astralsilber "Lurch" - now in the loving care of Craig B
201.035 Blauschwarz (parted) formerly owned by Derek/Hasan.
scorchi0
500 K
Model you own: w124

Post by scorchi0 »

zacks280 wrote:Trent what do you mean by A/C console??
Ha, I didn't even notice the arm rest! I assume that's what Giles was referring to originally...

Anyway, The cars fitted with factory air conditioning had a different console style, around where the radio sits. A non A/C car has a flat console, whereas cars fitted with A/C have a console that sticks out further.

Non-A/C
Factory A/C
1991 S124 300TE - Smoke Silver
1993 C124 320CE - Brilliant Silver
Image Image
zacks280
Dernburg Wagon

Post by zacks280 »

http://imgur.com/a/anSU0
(for more images)
Here is some more pictures of the interior
zacks280
Dernburg Wagon

Post by zacks280 »

Thanks for the photos Trent,
I have posted some more pictures, all the switches on centre console are original and have not been moved,that is how they came,I thought that the A/C was fitted in Australia,but it was specified in built order with other options,there are A/C switch,hazard lights,speaker control,auto aerial,temp regulator for a/c,sunroof switch,there is also an optional rear window heater switch
New123
M-100
Model you own: w123

Post by New123 »

Zack, that's really nice! Thanks for the interior shots. One day I hope to have mine looking somewhere near that good! :occasion5:
Toby
Giles
300 SL Gullwing

Post by Giles »

I like the modernism of the interior without loosing it's class. Nice work, inspiring for my next project.

As far as the rims are concerned, if they work and keep the car tracking true, good on you for your choice.

Giles

zacks280
Dernburg Wagon

Re: Star ShoSts! - Show us your Ride

Post by zacks280 »

Hi to all again,by the way my name is Michael,Zack is my 1o year old
he calls it his hence the zacks280,
Trent, searching some mercedes records with my WIN I found that the car was ordered with full extras,where cloth inserts were more expensive then leather???!!!
even the sunroof switch is optional so are the 4 windows,auto aerial,speaker control,& rear window heater.sunroof,a/c
here are some prices from 1973 dealers catalogue
Automatic trnsm-$420 Power steering-$200 Electric w-$238,Sunroof-$240, Metallic Paint-$180,Bunt Rims-$430,Sunroof switch-$27,Rear Window heater-$65
MB-Tex/Cloth interior-$390,Headrests-$65!!Central Locking-$70,A/C-$175,Auto aerial-$23,Speaker switch-$129(mine has all of them fitted)
Bloody expensive for 1973!!!
My car was fitted with York compressor which was changed with conversion to new system so I am not sure where it was originally done here or Germany
The whole switch panel on the photos is original wrapped in leather,all the switches were not moved,they all work except speaker & rear heater controls
justbenz
C Class

Post by justbenz »

Here's my 1973 280E.

I'm the third owner of this lovely vehicle. Bought 1.5 years ago for 2k. 185,000 documented kilometres.
Having fun and games at the moment with djet fuel injection trigger points...

Jake
Maybach
Region: New Zealand (Sth Island)

Post by Jake »

Great looking car justbenz, I love it in red :dance:
There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness .
cuisses
300 SLR
Model you own: w108

Post by cuisses »

I'm the third owner of this lovely vehicle. Bought 1.5 years ago for 2k. 185,000 documented kilometres.
Having fun and games at the moment with djet fuel injection trigger points...
2k for that? You certainly were not robbed. Worth it for the paint-job alone.

What is the problem with the fuel injection points? Is it the dreaded "bounce", so you get an extra pulse to two of the cylinders?
In which case you have 2 options - buy a new set ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$), or bend them carefully.
David Williams

W108 280SE 4.5 (Papyrus White and Palomino)
ADHD
A Class

Post by ADHD »

Here is my 1974 250 the day I bought it:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10614591 ... vtP28fr7ag
Giles
300 SL Gullwing

Post by Giles »

Here's where I'm at with the latest coupe, Indigo.

Have put some of the Rally Coupes bits on it as this one is taking priority at the moment. My fogs within the headlights were only 35 watts bulbs but the Hella 160's are 50 watt which brings me to ask. Does anyone know if there is a relay for the original fogs? If so it would be very simple to wire from the headlight assembly.

I've put the Rally Coupe reconditioned headlights in with the park lights rewired to where the fogs were.

Also put the Rally coupes grille and number plate surround on.

New plates coming soon, probably put on the UBR-114 plates on for the time being.
image.jpg
Giles

New123
M-100

Post by New123 »

Looking good! ... but Ginger must be feeling a bit betrayed.. :sad11:
Toby
Giles
300 SL Gullwing

Post by Giles »

New123 wrote:Looking good! ... but Ginger must be feeling a bit betrayed.. :sad11:
No doubt she'll be further refined and stripped down to the bare essentials. If there's one surety in life, it's a red head.

Giles

Jake
Maybach

Post by Jake »

Since the insurance Co have written of my wifes damaged 190D , I have had to bring the 300D back into service, it's been stored in the shed for the last 5yrs or so. I really hope she doesn't like it too much :) I was hoping to be able to use it during my retirement from 2016.

Haydos
A Class

Post by Haydos »

Here is my ride

SBW108
170s

Post by SBW108 »

cool. i like it :occasion5:
'73 W114 280E
'75 W114 280E
Chalda
C Class
Model you own: w115

The red baron flies again

Post by Chalda »

Several years later, the red baron flies again.

Yours, Christian
Jake
Maybach

Post by Jake »

Great shot , interesting lighting with the low sun angle . It's always a joy to see another w114 saved.

What are the bits on the boot lid? Can you give us some detail of what you have done there . Thanks.
Jake
Maybach

Post by Jake »

It's been quiet here lately , so here is a pic of my stuff as I was doing some shed space sorting out.

The blue and the yellow cars are mine

The red and the orange are my wifes

ok, so I have to change the date stamp on the camera .... better next time :)
mason_luke
B Class

Post by mason_luke »

heres my current coupe :)

351w114
Dernburg Wagon

Post by 351w114 »

Hi guys, my names Frank and thought i would share a photo of my w115 230.4 . I bought it at a stock car and had it lowered on some 20" wheels. Its a little rough around the edges but drives well and gets heaps of looks because of the wheels and stance.
mason_luke
B Class

Post by mason_luke »

351w114 wrote:Hi guys, my names Frank and thought i would share a photo of my w115 230.4 . I bought it at a stock car and had it lowered on some 20" wheels. Its a little rough around the edges but drives well and gets heaps of looks because of the wheels and stance.

Thats awesome frank, judging by your username am i right to assume you have, or plan to drop a 351 v8 into that bad boy? i would love to do this to a coupe :D