W108 Front subframe mount replacement done

1965 - 1972: 250S, 250SE, 300SEb, 280S, 280SE, 280SEL, 280SE 3.5, 280SEL 3.5, 280SE 4.5, 280SEL 4.5, 300SEL, 300SEL 6.3, 300SEL 3.5, 300SEL 4.5
matthewz108
Ponton
Model you own: w108

W108 Front subframe mount replacement done

Post by matthewz108 »

I just completed another covid lockdown job, replacing the subframe mounts, engine mounts and engine shock absorbers on my w108 280se 3.5.
To replace the sub frame mounts, the disconnection of the engine mounts and little engine shock absorbers was required in my case, so these were 'while you're in there' jobs.
After jacking the car up and suppoting on stands on the chassis, and removing the front wheels, I was ready to start.
I worked on one side at a time, disconnecting the sway bar at the ends, and also at the mount where it attaches to the body at the front, which also allows movement of the little leaf spring. Also disconnected the shock absorber at the top mount.
The brake caliper was disconnected from the rotor to allow the assembly to drop without stretching the flexible brake line. With the 3.5 I have, the flexible line connects to a hard line which is mounted to the inside of the front hub, which then runs to the caliper. I disconnected the hard line at the point where it is attached to the hub, to avoid opening the brake lines which would then require bleeding of the brakes.
When doing the drivers side, I disconnected the lateral brace which sits parallel and on front of the steering dampener where it mounts onto the body.
Then the removal of the sub frame mounts began with removal of the central bolt which connects the mount to the sub frame. Then i removed the 4 smaller bolts which connect the mount to the body.
A little persuasion was required to lower the sub frame enough to remove the mount.
The 'bowl' that the mount sits on in the sub frame needed a good clean, but otherwise was simple.
Installation was the reverse of the removal.
The only real issue I had was that the little engine shock absorbers (Febi brand) did not come with any hardware, and the ones i removed were trashed, so i made up the washers and rubber spacers to suit, and bought a few M6 nylock nuts to finish the assembly.
This isn't a definitive, nor greatly detailed description of the job, but hopefully in the future of someone wants to do this job, this might help if they search for this post.
Stay safe everyone.
1971 W108 280SE 3.5
1982 R107 500SL
1977 W123 300d
2023 X254 GLC300
John Green
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: W108 Front subframe mount replacement done

Post by John Green »

Here is some more info and pictures on this important part:

https://www.mbspares.com.au/Service/W11 ... ounts.aspx

Kind regards, / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

John Green, Member Institute Automotive Mechanical Engineers

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.