Headlamp upgrade

1971-1989: 280SL, 280SLC, 300SL, 350SL, 350SLC, 380SL, 380SLC, 420SL, 450SL, 450SLC, 450SLC 5.0, 500SL, 500SLC, 560SL
MotorMan
Model you own: w107
Region: Victoria

Headlamp upgrade

Post by MotorMan »

Hi, please excuse me if this topic has been discussed previously. I searched the forum, but didn't find any posts which were directly relevant. I would like to upgrade my R107 headlights by fitting either LED or HID bulbs to the existing headlights. Is there any information out there regarding which bulbs (1) Fit, and (2) work well? I presume that cut-off patterns will need to be adhered to, and the lights must not dazzle on-coming traffic. I'm happy to be referred to other forum posts and websites which discuss this topic. I'm new to this, so any information regarding upgrading "old" headlamps with brighter, whiter, new technology would be welcome. thanks in advance
mathuisella
Große
Model you own: w123

Re: Headlamp upgrade

Post by mathuisella »

Personally i think it's best if you keep the originals. LED lights mess with the body and it's ability to sleep, yet alone the piercing lights from EVERY BLOODY HID car out there. It makes you want to keep a .22 in there to shoot the lights out on every car that passes.
Giles
300 SL Gullwing
Model you own: I own multiple different models
Region: Western Australia

Post by Giles »

How much do you drive at night & where, city or country?

G
1988 V126 560SEL Poida The King wears white
1981 C107 500SLC Lola. The Queen wears black
1989 V126 420SEL Shaun The Jack wears black
2007 X164 500GL James The Joker wears black

http://www.kudoscc.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/kudoscc?mibextid=LQQJ4d
mathuisella
Große
Model you own: w123

Post by mathuisella »

Australia, a capital city and also drive interstate from time to time.
CraigB
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB »

I reckon 'AMG' did a detailed post on led lights etc some time ago - do a search just with different names of lights HID etc but with "AMG" as author and see how you go. As I recall he was suggesting you need to get a whole light designed for it and talked about the failings of retro fitting globes in the old lights.

I think people need to eat more carrots! I've never had a problem with lights but even new cars, I find it so irritating having a disco going on inside my car from behind or getting blinded from oncoming cars - I live in Adelaide hills with often poorly lit roads and once you get flashed in the eyes its hard to see after for a while. Mercedes you can vacuum adjust lights and when I have had the back lower with a load, its easy to tell if every road sign you pass lights up at you with reflection, then your lights are too high and you can just adjust it down. Its not every new car though and makes me wonder if they adjust them in the factory for an empty car with unsettled suspension and then when sold people put stuff in the back, as you do, and puts everything out. Some years ago now, but new Pajeros at work were bad for it when we put stuff in the back and one of my staff had a pretty serious 'road rage' event when she pulled in for fuel behind a car she had followed over rural highway - she said she thought the guy was going to hit her and said about the constant flash flash particularly in his side mirrors. Many times in that situation I just slow and pull over, continue on behind them.... but you shouldn't have to. I had our Pajero lights realigned with stuff in it.
Craig Baulderstone
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL Ruby
300TE Otto
350SL Gloria
350SLC Lurch
450SEL Boris
500SEC's...including Syd
560SEL's Foufou and Zac