indicators faulty + gearbox? noise

1993-Present: C200 CDI, C220 CDI, C270 CDI, C180, C200 Kompressor, C230 Kompressor, C220, C230, C280, C300 C350, CGI & CDI BlueEfficiency variants
LOUIS
Model you own: w202
Region: Other (please specify below)

indicators faulty + gearbox? noise

Post by LOUIS »

guys
3 issues on 1996 w202:
1.] indicators not working as well as the wiper`s intermittant setting - when i press down on the indicator relay close to the fuses under the bonnet/hood everything works fine - obviously a connection issue - but how do i fix it? a.] a new indicator relay? or b.] re-soldering the contact points in the relay? something else?
2.] 5 speed manual gearbox - when i drive i hear a soft "grinding" noise - which dissapears when i compress the clutch pedal. there is no noise when the car idles in neutral. i changed the gear oil but no improvement. the sound/noise doesnt appear to get worse with time - ive been (carefully) driving like this for 7 months. sometimes when there is a bump in the road the car jumps out of gear - this only happens in 3rd or 4th gear.
what do you think this is? where do i start looking? replace clutch, release bearing ...
3.] right hand drive: over the years the left front tyre has always been finished before the other tyres [no more tread left while other tyres still has about 10 000 kms (6 months) of tread left] - guys who does the alignment + balancing of tyres cant find something wrong on suspension ...???
thanks
louis
John Green
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: indicators faulty + gearbox? noise

Post by John Green »

1) that fact that it works when you push on it indicates a loose connection, my guess would be a solder joint, pull the cover off and have a look around. Or just find a used one, very common so can't imagine a used one would be that expensive
2) shouldn't be the clutch or throw out bearing as that would give the opposite effect, it would be noisy when you depress the clutch. Sadly I would say you have a bearing going in it. This may also cause the issue with it jumping out of gear especially if the bearing has caused the slip ring for 3-4 to have too much free play.
3) are you getting a tyre shop or a suspension shop to do the alignments? Tyre shops don't have a lot of incentive to get it right.
Kind regards, / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

John Green, Member Institute Automotive Mechanical Engineers

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.
Ivanerrol
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: I own multiple different models
Region: Victoria

Re: indicators faulty + gearbox? noise

Post by Ivanerrol »

The indicator/wiper stalks wear out. Very common.
It's not a big job to change it out - YouTube is your friend.

The temptation is to get a used indicator stalk - resist this if you can - most used ones are just as bad as the one you take out.

Be careful and get the exact same unit as in your car. There are a few variations.

I ended up get a brand new unit from the U.S. after two used units from the UK wreckers proved less than stellar.

Check the lower control arms carefully. the rubber bearing holders go awry. You can take the car to a suspension place and they will align the vehicle on the day.
The control arm bushings move around and your new alignment is out the window.

If you have access to a spring compressor then this job is a DIY for those with a mechanical aptitude.
Remove the lower control arms, buy the bushings off fleabay or an alternative seller and have the bushings removed and replaced at your local trusty mechanic. Cost me $40.00 to have my local guy replace the bushings in the arms.
Current
S212 - E350 Wagon
W213 - E220d
Departed
W211 - E240
W204 - C280
W202 - C200, C180, C180
W126 - 380SE , 380SE (Ex SA Import), 560SEL
W124 - 300e, 260e (ex Japan)
W111 220s (Indonesia) 4 speed manual column shift
W123 230
W116 450SEL