How to remove trim around rear windscreen please

1965 - 1972: 250S, 250SE, 300SEb, 280S, 280SE, 280SEL, 280SE 3.5, 280SEL 3.5, 280SE 4.5, 280SEL 4.5, 300SEL, 300SEL 6.3, 300SEL 3.5, 300SEL 4.5
Scottyx
Pagoda
Model you own: w108
Region: New South Wales

How to remove trim around rear windscreen please

Post by Scottyx »

Hi there

I'm on a bit of a roll with working on the car so I thought I would have a crack at the rear windscreen rubber, but I'm not sure how to remove the metal trim that goes around the screen.

I had a little pry at it with not too much force and it didn't feel like it was going to pop out. Also I couldn't see any clips or hooks that held it in place.

So before I break something else removing it is there any tips on removing this trim or even the whole screen please.

Thanks for any replys.
Scott
Bartman4800
SLS AMG
Model you own: w111

Re: How to remove trim around rear windscreen please

Post by Bartman4800 »

If the rubber is anything but the best condition and you want to keep the windscreen, i suggest cutting the rubber on the inside.

The trim can be pulled out of the rubber, but very gently and only once the rubber is out of the car. It should also go in first into the new rubber.
There are no clips, just a profile that is stuck inside the rubber. Mounting will be done with dish wash liquid or such.

The windscreen and rubber are pulled into the car using a string; that's a 2 person job normally.

Bart
1963 220 Sb Sedan "Kermit" (Australian Assembly)
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
2012 W212 E250CDI
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!
2006 Ford Focus "daily driver"
2002 VW Passat V6 30V Station Wagon (SOLD - This car into a money pit)
2011 Kia Sportage "Missus commuter Bus"
2002 Mitsubishi Rosa Bus (converting it to a motor home)
John Green
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Post by John Green »

Over the years we have had many calls from people looking for the alloy screen trims. The reason being that there "windscreen guy" tried to pull them out with the screen in the car. Most UK cars and some US car with rubbers do have the trim fitted after the screen has been installed. The act of fitting it tightens the rubber and seals it in. Not in the case of a Mercedes-Benz.
Kind regards, / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

John Green, Member Institute Automotive Mechanical Engineers

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.
Scottyx
Pagoda

Post by Scottyx »

Great info thanks.

I learned my lesson too many times over the years by not asking questions.

I'm going to get a windscreen guy here to do the rubber, but I can prepare for him getting here.
CraigB
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB »

I will double check, but Scotty is asking about the rear isn't he? I don't think the rear is trim in the rubber, like the front is - but I will check.

Bottom trim, a screw on either side inside the rear door opening and then it pushes back horizontally, from clips pop riveted to the panel below the screen, same plane as boot lid - hope that makes sense. Be gentle and careful not to bend trims, but from memory once the screws are out you can wiggle back and forth a bit to get the first one started and then they usually come out fairly easily. Same with the rest in that they have clips and pull straight back. One of those plastic clip tools in under trim across glass and just wiggle a bit, levering them off. Check for rust around all the clips and at base of c pillar - good time to treat rust while off. Then I have never seen one with rust under the glass (like most W126 and some W116), but if it was me I would do as bart suggested, cut the inner lip of the rubber and gently and evenly push out the glass, then you can treat any rust and let it dry before your screen guy gets there.....ie. you don't want to put one in over rust or tell the guy to come back again (and charge) while you fix the rust.

Other comments relevant to front, except bottom trim and my comments about the bottom of the rear the same. Again, if you cut out the front reduces risk - what's your wood trim at base of windscreen like? Danger in removing them, but if you cut the rubber and remove glass, I think that makes it easier to do the wood (and dash recover if needed or replacement if can find one) and a good screen guy can fit with trim left in place (seen it done). Can crack dash and wood trim trying to get into place between a pillars.

Hope that all makes sense and is useful.
Craig Baulderstone
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL Ruby
300TE Otto
350SL Gloria
350SLC Lurch
450SEL Boris
500SEC's...including Syd
560SEL's Foufou and Zac
Scottyx
Pagoda

Post by Scottyx »

Great

Thanks Craig. I’ll make a few phone calls to book the dude in, but I’ll pull the screen out the week before.