Vibration in "D" when cold

1995-Present : E200, E220D, E240, E290TD, E300, E300TD, E200, E240, E250, E280, E300, E320, E420, E430, E350, E500 E55AMG, E63AMG & incl. blueTEC & BlueEfficiency, All CLS models
Grumpy
S Class
Model you own: w210

Vibration in "D" when cold

Post by Grumpy »

I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on my issue. When cold my E320 2000 model , I can feel a vibration through the driveline when stationary (only with "D" selected). If I select "R" or "N or P " it goes away instantly. It sought of feels like reverse is still partially engaged, but that's just to describe what it feels like. I have changed the auto oil and filter including the converter oil. It was a waste of time as they all looked like new, perfectly clean. This didn't make any difference. If I select W/S, no difference. Apart from the SRS light on, it goes perfectly well.
Thanks for any ideas. Kel
The Liver is Evil & must be Punished

W210 Elegance E320
Grand Cherokee Jeep
Chrysler 300C Mercedes OM642 V6 Diesel and drive line.
Departed - W201 190E
John Green
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Vibration in "D" when cold

Post by John Green »

First thing I would look at is the transmission mount. These are a poor design from day one and a common failure. Get underneath and grab the tail shaft just behind the transmission. You should be able to flex it up and down by hand. My guess is that there will be no down movement as the transmission mount has bottomed out.
Kind regards, / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

John Green, Member Institute Automotive Mechanical Engineers

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.
Grumpy
S Class
Model you own: w210

Re: Vibration in "D" when cold

Post by Grumpy »

John Green wrote: Fri 10 Jul, 2020 5:46 pm First thing I would look at is the transmission mount. These are a poor design from day one and a common failure. Get underneath and grab the tail shaft just behind the transmission. You should be able to flex it up and down by hand. My guess is that there will be no down movement as the transmission mount has bottomed out.
Thanks John, I'll try that soon . I should have thought of checking it. :)
The Liver is Evil & must be Punished

W210 Elegance E320
Grand Cherokee Jeep
Chrysler 300C Mercedes OM642 V6 Diesel and drive line.
Departed - W201 190E