Has anyone bought this book?

1979-1991 280SE, 300SE, 300SEL, 380SE, 380SEL, 380SEC, 420SE, 420SEL, 420SEC, 500SE, 500SEL, 500SEC, 560SEL, 560SEC
KimB
300 SLR
Model you own: w126

Has anyone bought this book?

Post by KimB » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 10:53 pm

Just came across this book on Amazon. Has anyone bought it? If so, any comments?

https://www.amazon.com/Buying-Maintaini ... -amazon-20

Cheers
Kim
W126 86 300SE Champagne
W126 84 380SEC Signal Red

micksbigfish
B Class

Re: Has anyone bought this book?

Post by micksbigfish » Wed 06 Jun, 2018 2:33 pm

Yes i got this book for me birthday ,personaly found it good but with your knowledge on these cars dont know if it would teach you anything,but if you want will gladly lend you for a read.
cheers mick.

KimB
300 SLR

Post by KimB » Wed 06 Jun, 2018 10:58 pm

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the offer. I might try and buy a second hand copy on Amazon.

Cheers
Kim
W126 86 300SE Champagne

Astro-Benz777
B Class
Region: Victoria

Post by Astro-Benz777 » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 4:20 am

I've got the "Scribd" version (online/e-reader).
Apart from it being written from the UK spec point of view, it's probably the closest thing I've been able to find to a Haynes Style Workshop manual for W126'S.
It also contains a great deal of other useful information and explanations.
I would also recommend it wholeheartedly.
W126's truly were the last real Benz in my opinion! :occasion5:
FORMER FAMILY:
1989 300SE (W126) Midnight Blue, Blue/Grey Interior (Gearhardt)
1982 380SE (W126) Thistle Green, Tan Interior (Sherman)
CURRENT DAILY DRIVE & BELOVED FAMILY MEMBER
1984 280SE (W126) Thistle Green, Tan Interior (Hilda)

John Green
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Post by John Green » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 11:09 am

I have no knowledge of this book, but can offer an informed general opinion on these style of book when compared to the factory Manuels.

- They have mistakes in them, mostly they are fine, but we have had experience with people getting into trouble from this style of manual.
- Sometimes they have enough information to get you into trouble, but not back out of trouble.
- As already commented they are not written for the Australian market.

So, by all means buy it, but you really need to be careful and think about the content and not just presume that it is 100% correct.

Of interest we also get people tell us the factory manuals are "crap". These manuals are written for a MB tech to use. This means there is a presumption that the person reading the manual has a certain level of training. So a certain amount of basic steps are often left out. Also the grouping of instructions that cross a number of difference areas of the vehicle can be hard to work out, once gain if you are a trained MB tech this is no issue.
M.B Spares & Service 14-16 Lyell St, Fyshwick ACT. Ph 02 6239 1099

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.

kimrh
300 SLR

Post by kimrh » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 1:13 am

The book was written by Nik Greene in the UK who is a dedicated W126 enthusiast

I have a hard copy of this book which i bought as soon as it was published last year to add to my library-

An overview of the book by another Forum Owner-

VERY comprehensive as to what it covers. It literally covers all facets of the 126 models including production numbers and information, valuations, key features/innovations/capabilities of the 126, what to look for (current prospective owners), mechanical overview, how to restore, key things to watch out for, etc.

Some interesting and new compilations of information based on some great research -- one example is the list of running changes to the model during its 11-year lifespan, and when they were phased in (date and chassis number). (Would be a great thing to expand and improve this type of list for the E500Es that we love).
Decent organization of the book -- it is laid out well

Well-suited content and perspective for folks who are getting interested in the model and considering purchase
The book is well-illustrated with photographs, charts/graphs, and diagrams

A couple of things that could be have been done better: (but Nic will explain why in the a message he responded to about getting this book published - i added that down below)

Not a lot of technical content - potential and real issues are identified and highlighted, but there is little to no real depth as to how/why these things happen, and brushes over on how to remedy them.
Remedying and preventing issues would have been a be a huge value-add to this book.

Nik spent a huge amount of time researching for this book, and he certainly has a strong passion for the W126 model, which is really cool.
The W126 has deserved its own book for quite a long time, so this comes very timely.

Perhaps for a second edition, I'd like to see the book expanded in the "maintaining your 126" section so that it provides additional tips, tricks and information on common issues that owners face, and how to overcome them.
More technical depth is always welcome. Or as an alternative, perhaps a "Volume 2" book that has more and deeper technical information.

BOTTOM LINE: If you are a 126 owner/enthusiast, or are considering a 126, this book is an EXCELLENT and very comprehensive overview about the model, and what things to look for in terms of buying, or owning, one of these great great cars and money well spent to add it to your car book collection and a great present if you buying it for someone else who is a keen Merc Fan

Nics own comments on the book:-

The book was indeed a labour of love.
To slightly address the problems when dealing with Publishers-
Mostly I was bound by the publisher... It was indeed the first book of its kind for the W126 and "Crowood" the Publisher took a chance it would sell. Its all about the money in the publishing game versus for the likes of us its only enthusiasm.

I actually supplied nearly 400 images and 90,000 words but they to cut down to fit a book into a price market as well as physical size.

As far as "not overly technical" I attempted to appeal to a broad spectrum of people and tried to keep it sensibly light... Not everyone looking or buying the car wants to learn the reasons why the rear screen rots out but more importantly that it does and what to look out for.

The good new is they have contracted me to write another which is a 'History and Production book' and due out mid2018.
I have had the privilege of gaining access to the Archives in Stuttgart so it will be in depth and a 'Hard Back book' this time.

On the issue of something 'More detailed and technical I am also hoping for a third opportunity to write a more detailed maintenance guide but this for the publisher depends on sales of course...

So this is good news that another addition will be released this year going more in depth
Then he hopes to be able to get a third addition published that will go in depth into maintenance

It is rare to see this kind of hard copy book published that is dedicated to the W126 model that spanned an incredible decade of production 1980-1991 which is astonishing on a global platform that it was sold to.
87 White Euro 500SEC "ECE" 195kw
88 Black Euro 560SEC 220kw
89 Midnight Blue Euro 560SEL hydro 220kw AMG Kitted
http://www.flickr.com/photos/krh2013/sets/72157632548663623/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/krh2013/albums/72157668572599252

KimB
300 SLR

Post by KimB » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 5:13 pm

Thanks for the comments chaps!
I agree that it sounds like a must have book for W126 owners.
Cheers
Kim
W126 86 300SE Champagne

Return to “W126”