mercedes engine conversion

1968 - 1976: 220, 220D, 230, 230.4, 230.6, 240D, 250, 250C, 250CE, 280, 280E, 280CE, 300D
bouman24
A Class
Model you own: w115

mercedes engine conversion

Post by bouman24 »

hi all,i curently own a '73 230 but the engine is on its last legs and want to know what engine will work as a conversion, i was thinking a ohc falcon engine but i think it will be to long and will basicly touch the radiator so it will have to be a bit shorter like a commodore v6 or something, so i was just woundering what would be the best engine and trans conversion, it needs to be cheap and easliy avalible. any help will be much appreciated.
Benz Hur
M-100
Model you own: w111

Re: mercedes engine conversion

Post by Benz Hur »

Find another Merc engine. Few W115's and W114's out there with dodgy bodies and good engines in them. Will give you a lot less headaches than putting an inferior product in a great car. No need to put Pamela Anderson's brain in Natalie Portman's body.
Michael

'62 W111 220SE sedan German built, front bench. Esmerelda
'70 W114 250CE sold
'72 W114 280C in DB-606 (Maple Yellow) PNG import. Celeste
Hendrik
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w124

Post by Hendrik »

A modern V6 would be best insofar as power v economy goes but buying the engine and gearbox is only the start, there are other conversion costs.
Putting another 230 Merc engine in there, is going to be less headache and will more than likely work out cheaper but you still have an engine that is, by today's standard, ancient both in performance and efficiency.
Perhaps talk to this mob, http://www.rodshop.com.au/mercedes/mercedes.htm they may have experience with the /8 model and may be able to give you a ball park figure on how much a conversion will cost, remember with a modern engine you will need all the electronics that go with the engine. I would think a carbied V8 conversion would be simpler.
I would also advise that if you have to pay someone to do everything it will be a very expensive project and would ultimately be uneconomic, compared to either rebuilding the original engine or swapping in a fresher 230 motor.
BTW do you have 230.4 or 230.6
Have you read this thread viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12906
bouman24
A Class

Post by bouman24 »

yeah its a the 4 cylinder and i will be doing the conversion my self. i cant put a v8 in it cause i will be driving it when i get my Ps in a couple of months, i cant find a replacment mercedes engine but if any one can point me in the right direction of one in gippsland victoria i will give it a go.
Hendrik
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Hendrik »

bouman24 wrote:yeah its a the 4 cylinder and i will be doing the conversion my self. i cant put a v8 in it cause i will be driving it when i get my Ps in a couple of months, i cant find a replacment mercedes engine but if any one can point me in the right direction of one in gippsland victoria i will give it a go.
Ahh yes our well informed leaders, you can drive a modern V6 which puts out more grunt than an old V8, for example the GT HO put out 224kw back in the day and today's V6 engines are around the 200kw mark. So you can drive a camcry but not an old Falcon.
Benz Hur
M-100

Post by Benz Hur »

Surely not restricted to putting another 230 motor in? Wouldn't a 280 or fuel-injected 280e or any W114 or even W123 engine connect up without too many hassles? Could even look at diesel engines for a bit more fuel economy and durability.
Michael

'62 W111 220SE sedan German built, front bench. Esmerelda
'70 W114 250CE sold
'72 W114 280C in DB-606 (Maple Yellow) PNG import. Celeste
Hendrik
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Hendrik »

Benz Hur wrote:Surely not restricted to putting another 230 motor in? Wouldn't a 280 or fuel-injected 280e or any W114 or even W123 engine connect up without too many hassles? Could even look at diesel engines for a bit more fuel economy and durability.
To a certain extend it could be argued that given enough money you could put any engine in any car but the suggestion here is that replacing the engine with one the same would be the most cost effective thing to do, once you go to a M110 motor you may have to modify this and do that, perhaps the gearbox won't mate up, fuel injection will require more bits that a carby 230.4 does not have. Also I seem to remember reading that there are key differences between the 114 and 115 insofar as engine bay layout goes but I could be wrong.
It depends on what is available, sure if you can lay your hands on a rusted out 280E with a good engine, then that may be the way to go, as an injected M110 motor won't use much more fuel than a tired M115.
Another factor that could come into it, is originality, however if the specimen in question is not that flash then that would be a minor thing. There is a certain appeal of having the old look with the modern performance of an V6, unfortunately most of the decent V6 engines are east west and thus lack a suitable gearbox. For instance the Mitsi and Nisson V6's are good engines but relatively rare in north south configuration and thus expensive. So you're kinda stuck with the Holdon as being the cheapest V6 conversion option. Not saying that the Holdmeon V6 is junk but it hasn't won too many engine awards either. Personally I would go for a Nissan 3.7 VQ V6 240kw using 11L/100k, perhaps I'll find a 370Z at U pull it.
bouman24
A Class

Post by bouman24 »

does anybody know if a falcon ohc inline 6 and auto will fit in a 230 but still having room between the pullys and radiator for some thermo fans?
and if anybody has done it or has some photos id like to see them if possible
drew56cus
Große
Region: Queensland

Post by drew56cus »

If you want to find a suitable motor in Victoria, talk to Chris Stewart on bikesncars@optusnet.com.au as he may have engines, and also know which alternative MB motors may work. He is in Cranbourne South.
I thought the 115 had a shorter nose than the 114, in which case it would be hard to get a 6 in there? Mind you, they did do it for the W110 finnie...
Drew
'65 220SE 4.5 Frankenbenz finnie :)
'65 220SE/C (#1 project - Tenorite grey)
'64 300SE/C (#2 project)
'66 250SE/C (#3 project)
Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w109

Post by Mercmad »

bouman24 wrote:does anybody know if a falcon ohc inline 6 and auto will fit in a 230 but still having room between the pullys and radiator for some thermo fans?
and if anybody has done it or has some photos id like to see them if possible
to quote a bloke on a US forum " the scrap yards are full of those conversions...". :laughing6:
Yes a falcon will fit but you will need to change the diff because the falcon is a short stroke (short lived too) engine and it will revving it's guts out trying to move the car. Top speed will be less than with the mercedes engine but you will get moving quickly up to 100ks. I have had a couple of Mercs with Falcon engines, one I bought for $50.
bouman24
A Class

Post by bouman24 »

i think i might have changed my mind on the whole ford or holden thing, i have sourced a w104 engine and 5 speed auto from a 1992 s320 would this make a good conversion or will it not fit?
Hendrik
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Hendrik »

bouman24 wrote:i think i might have changed my mind on the whole ford or holden thing, i have sourced a w104 engine and 5 speed auto from a 1992 s320 would this make a good conversion or will it not fit?
Yes it would make a good conversion, however the 5 speed is a more troublesome box than the 4 speed. Not sure if it would fit, the 103/4 motors are a bit of a squeeze in the 124, so length could be an issue. With this engine and gearbox you will need electrics to make it work, which means access to a complete wreck to scavenge off.
Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w109

Post by Mercmad »

Guys who have done this swap have used the megasquirt ECU to control the engine and it works great.
John Green
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Post by John Green »

drew56cus wrote:I thought the 115 had a shorter nose than the 114, in which case it would be hard to get a 6 in there? Mind you, they did do it for the W110 finnie...
Nope, W114 and W115 engine bays are the same size..
Kind regards, / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

John Green, Member Institute Automotive Mechanical Engineers

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.
John Green
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Post by John Green »

bouman24 wrote:yeah its a the 4 cylinder and i will be doing the conversion my self. i cant put a v8 in it cause i will be driving it when i get my Ps in a couple of months, i cant find a replacment mercedes engine but if any one can point me in the right direction of one in gippsland victoria i will give it a go.
Have just been reading back though this thread and saw this, we have a 230.6 engine which would drop straight in. I also noted your age and without wanting to sound to "high and mighty" unless you have someone helping you with the engineering and electronics forget it. You will wind up with a money trap...
Kind regards, / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

John Green, Member Institute Automotive Mechanical Engineers

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.
Hendrik
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Hendrik »

Mercmad wrote:Guys who have done this swap have used the megasquirt ECU to control the engine and it works great.
But what about the gearbox? The 5 speed has electronic overdrive, which will need a switch at least.
CraigB
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB »

Sort of saying the same thing as John - don't want to sounds negative and put a damper on things, but if this is your first car and getting P's in a couple of months (i think i can remember back that far and what mates did etc) the best car of all is one that works and you can just get in and drive. So many mates had great plans and spent the first year or so borrowing parents and all the strings attached to that while they attempted to cobble together this great original project and usually not finished once they worked out something cooler to own. If your like me my ideas changed very quickly as to what i wanted to own and my advice is just get something reliable while you work that out. Being even a bigger wet blanket, are there any cheap benzes people have here that just need a tidy up and save the cost and effort of changing the motor? Chris Stewart is a good source though, if he doesn't have one might know of one and if you can find the same engine will be easiest and probably leave you with the most valuable car to sell if you want to trade up to something a bit quicker later. But don't listen to me, maybe have a think about the comments but make your own decision and whatever people here will support you if they can.
Craig Baulderstone
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL Ruby
300TE Otto
350SL Gloria
350SLC Lurch
450SEL Boris
500SEC's...including Syd
560SEL's Foufou and Zac
Bombardier
250s

Post by Bombardier »

I have an almost complete rusty 3.0 litre 115 diesel manual that can be yours for $200.

Engine runs etc but needs a tune. Reconditioned starter motor.

Rockhampton Central Queensland.

big420
170s
Model you own: w126

Post by big420 »

bouman24 wrote:hi all,i curently own a '73 230 but the engine is on its last legs and want to know what engine will work as a conversion, i was thinking a ohc falcon engine but i think it will be to long and will basicly touch the radiator so it will have to be a bit shorter like a commodore v6 or something, so i was just woundering what would be the best engine and trans conversion, it needs to be cheap and easliy avalible. any help will be much appreciated.

Shame... do you want to drive a HOLDEN/FORD , or do u want to drive a "PURE" mercedes... i say :sign3: :sign3: :whip: get another merc engine .
65finnie
C Class

Post by 65finnie »

Are you still looking for an engine? I have a M180 2.2L six carb. engine from a W111 1965 220Sb fintail manual. It is sitting at my mechanic's. It was running very well and had done 115,000 miles with only 3 owners and the original owner for the first 40 years. For sale for $500. Priority to you and then if any one else is interested.
Not for highway use
Dernburg Wagon
Model you own: w114
Region: New South Wales

Post by Not for highway use »

For what it's worth I've got a Holden 202 and Trimatic box in my '70 114.