Rotisserie Resto 220SB

1961-1968: a.k.a "Finnie" or "Heckflosse" models
190, 190D, 200, 200D, 220b, 220Sb, 220SEb, 230, 230S, 250SE coupe, 280SE coupe, 280SE 3.5 coupe, 220SEb cabrio., 250SE conv., 280SE cabrio., 280SE 3.5 Cabrio., 300SE, 300SE coupe, 300SE conv., 300SEL
harryskater_220
250s
Model you own: w111

Rotisserie Resto 220SB

Post by harryskater_220 » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 8:55 pm

Just starting this thread with some pics of the finny undergoing resto at the moment

harryskater_220
250s

Re: Rotisserie Resto 220SB

Post by harryskater_220 » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 9:39 pm

pastelgrey300D
OZBENZ Admin

Post by pastelgrey300D » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 11:36 pm

Whoa! Full on stuff! Is it going to be painted a similar red colour? I like those yellow foglights too!

Nice to see a sedan getting such a good going over! Just hope your HQ's (?) don't get jealous! Welcome to the forum!
David
1967 W111 230S - Horizonblau
1965 W110 190c - Mittelrot
1967 W110 200D - Weiss (work in progress)
+ other classics

harryskater_220
250s

Post by harryskater_220 » Tue 12 Feb, 2013 5:28 am

Cheers David. Good spotting although the Holdens arent mine, i was sharing some space with a Holden lover in the photo.
The Mittlerot colour is going im afraid. Im going for a specific grey i have in mind, or black. Its dry and dusty where i live which is putting me off black but it is going to be one of the two. As for the yellow fogs, i think theyre keepers.

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w109

Post by Mercmad » Tue 12 Feb, 2013 8:08 am

Hey! Welcome HArry! Great to see you finally made it here. :occasion5:

drew56cus
Große

Post by drew56cus » Tue 12 Feb, 2013 8:26 am

Whoa I feel dizzy looking through that fishbowl!
Looks like it will be a good adventure for you - so what do you have planned for the beast?
Cheers,
Drew
Drew
'65 220SE 4.5 Frankenbenz finnie :)
'65 220SE/C (#1 project - Tenorite grey)
'64 300SE/C (#2 project)
'66 250SE/C (#3 project)

simonsend
Pagoda

Post by simonsend » Tue 12 Feb, 2013 3:15 pm

That Holden sign will have to go...
Dean

Current:
W111 Confinable
Floor change Manual 220SE
ML270

Sadly Departed
Lorinser 500SEC
280SE
E320 Wagon
300SE

harryskater_220
250s

Post by harryskater_220 » Tue 12 Feb, 2013 8:08 pm

Cheers Ron, Good to get on here at last.

To be honest Drew I dont know exactly what the plans are. The plan at the start was to get the beast on the road, but to do so Im having to deal with the rot. Ive decided to spend the time at this stage to get it right as id like to keep the old girl for a while.
I love what youve done with the FrankenBenz mate, it looks awesome. As for mine the only things I have in mind are to give it a fresh gun metal grey or black paint. White wall tyres could be on the cards, and Im really a fan of these cars with a lower stance, but a bigger fan of practicality so Id love to hear any advice on maximum permanent lowering heights, or adjustable suspension ideas without poking the diff.
As for motor, i have been planning on reconditioning the 2.2 and rolling with that. Unless anybody can persuade me that theyre underpowered and that i need a transplant..

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Tue 12 Feb, 2013 8:58 pm

I was cruising back to the shed in Darksides cab yesterday ,and although it's only a 220SE it drives great and feels like it has more power than a 2.2 liter should. All Original too and never been apart in 48 years.
But Harry,Dry and dusty in New Zealand ?????? :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

Bartman4800
300 SLR

Post by Bartman4800 » Wed 13 Feb, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi Harry,

At first I thought I was looking at my own car in the rotisserie: same colour, same surface rust, same rotted place and also a 220S (yours is an SE, but the E has gone).
But it was still sitting in the driveway when I left it this morning. It will have to wait a while because the house reno needs to be finished first...

I am planning to do the same thing, although I was going to buy a rotisserie after seeing some prices. (and I don't have a Hiab to lift it in, the ready made rotisseries have their own hydraulic lifters)
I found a supplier in Germany who can get well fitting (non original, but original thickness) sills which do not cost the world, as well as all the other sheet metal. Let me know if you need the details.
I am going to replace the floors as well.

Keep us posted as this is an interesting topic, and good luck.
1963 220 Sb Sedan "Kermit" (Australian Assembly)
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!
2006 Ford Focus "missus car"
2002 VW Passat V6 30V Station Wagon (my new commuter bus)

harryskater_220
250s

Post by harryskater_220 » Wed 13 Feb, 2013 3:19 pm

Hey Bartman, if you are keen on buying or making a rotisserie i can send you more pics of this one if you want. It doesnt actually belong to me i just persuaded someone to make it for me, its been made to adjust in height and length to suit any car, and can be locked off at any angle you want. The fella that made it for me has said hed be keen to sell this one/make another to put up for sale.
I didnt lift it onto the rotisserie with the hiab, i just used an engine crane, and got it up on some stands the same height as the rot one end at a time before bolting onto bumper mountings. As you can see we also welded a mount point to the underside of the parcel shelf.
Cheers but my sills are actually sweet, i cut them open from the top to get a visual inside but theyre actually solid and definitely dont need replacing, will just weld them shut after ive protected them.
How do the w111's differentiate between sb and seb? The 'B' is there to show its the model after the ponton, doesnt the Seb have a different chrome trim around the vent on the back and more chrome around the arches and sills?
Do you have any pics on here of your 220Sb?

Harry

Brad220S
Zeppelin

Post by Brad220S » Wed 13 Feb, 2013 3:49 pm

SEb is fuel injected, Sb has twin carbys, other than that, no difference (that i know of)

drew56cus
Große

Post by drew56cus » Wed 13 Feb, 2013 4:34 pm

Wow, this thread is unearthing some gems.
Bartman, I would like the details of your panel supplier please for some coupe bits and pieces, and a guy that is doing a cab (some panels NLA from MB).
Harry, I would be interested in the plans for the rotisserie - will get a price for locals to build it vs buying a ready-made one. I think the chinese will win, but I will give the locals a chance. I can't imagine freight from NZ would be very cheap?? If you know differently, your fellow could give me a price. Where are you anyway? I have a contact that has containers going back and forth from Auckland to Brisbane.
Also, if you are not an originality freak, then have a look at the Frankenbenz thread in this W111 area - whilst your sills are sliced open, you may want to put some retractable seat belts in there like I did - so much nicer to use than the fixed ones, or tripping over retractors in the rear floor area. But hang on, I deleted the rear door handles on my car anyway, so very few people are likely to trip over them!

Oh, by the way, I love your choice of colours - but then again I may be biased (have you seen the Tenorite Terror coupe?).

Despite my V8 conversion (and another planned), I actually enjoyed my 220S and 280S powered finnies. As long as the kickdown works (or manually shift the auto or manual lever), if you keep the revs up then they go fine. I even towed a car on a trailer with my 280S version through a mountain range (and burnt out the auto doing so...). So plans for my coupes are a 250SE, a 300SE and a V8. I really just have the V8 for its sound track - I sometimes thought that I should have just bought one of those electronic gizmo's that senses your revs and plays a V8 car sound through your stereo... Much faster and cheaper to build.

You may want to look into the price of reco'ing the 6 first - some parts can be expensive - Mercmad will be bale to fill you in there. Once you know a few people it is amazing how many motors come up cheap for sale.
Cheers, Drew
Drew
'64 300SE/C (#2 project)
'66 250SE/C (#3 project)

Bartman4800
300 SLR

Post by Bartman4800 » Thu 14 Feb, 2013 1:28 pm

The supplier in Germany is called Andreas (he speaks English quite well), and his website is: http://www.dbdepot.de/index.php?lan=2
If he does not have it on his website just send him an email and he might be able to source it.
Shipment of sills can be a bit of a problem (they are long - duh), but I solved that problem by having mine cut in half with a thin disk at the B-pillar. The seam can be easily welded.
I just saw that he sells original sills for the coupe for 422 euros each.

I was looking at the rotisseries from Radum: http://radum.com.au/catalog/popup_image ... e8m6i49oc7

They are about 1200 bucks + GST. They seem to work well and I doubt I can build something with the functionality for that price.
These have an eccentricity adjustment as well, which means you can get the car body in the perfect center of gravity. That way it is easy to rotate and stays in any position.
Like I said before they have hydraulic lifters so once you hooked up the mounting brackets you can pick up the body from the floor.
I was actually thinking of renting it out once I am done, but I haven't started yet :)

Bart
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!

harryskater_220
250s

Post by harryskater_220 » Thu 14 Feb, 2013 8:04 pm

drew56cus wrote:Wow, this thread is unearthing some gems.
Bartman, I would like the details of your panel supplier please for some coupe bits and pieces, and a guy that is doing a cab (some panels NLA from MB).
Harry, I would be interested in the plans for the rotisserie - will get a price for locals to build it vs buying a ready-made one. I think the chinese will win, but I will give the locals a chance. I can't imagine freight from NZ would be very cheap?? If you know differently, your fellow could give me a price. Where are you anyway? I have a contact that has containers going back and forth from Auckland to Brisbane.
Also, if you are not an originality freak, then have a look at the Frankenbenz thread in this W111 area - whilst your sills are sliced open, you may want to put some retractable seat belts in there like I did - so much nicer to use than the fixed ones, or tripping over retractors in the rear floor area. But hang on, I deleted the rear door handles on my car anyway, so very few people are likely to trip over them!

Oh, by the way, I love your choice of colours - but then again I may be biased (have you seen the Tenorite Terror coupe?).

Despite my V8 conversion (and another planned), I actually enjoyed my 220S and 280S powered finnies. As long as the kickdown works (or manually shift the auto or manual lever), if you keep the revs up then they go fine. I even towed a car on a trailer with my 280S version through a mountain range (and burnt out the auto doing so...). So plans for my coupes are a 250SE, a 300SE and a V8. I really just have the V8 for its sound track - I sometimes thought that I should have just bought one of those electronic gizmo's that senses your revs and plays a V8 car sound through your stereo... Much faster and cheaper to build.

You may want to look into the price of reco'ing the 6 first - some parts can be expensive - Mercmad will be bale to fill you in there. Once you know a few people it is amazing how many motors come up cheap for sale.
Cheers, Drew
Drew, i havnt seen the tenorite terror coupe, where can i find pics?
Unfortunately i cant give you the plans for the rotisserie but i can help you with pictures and get you specific measurements if you want. The design is simple and works pretty well, there is adjustment in the horizontal stabilizer legs, just adjust and lock with locking pins, the same idea goes for adjusting the height to get your ground clearance. The whole assembly can be lifted up off the ground by winding out 4 bolts just enough to remove the castor wheels - a good idea if your going to be sandblasting.
The only issue is that you need two men to rotate the body and to lock off because its not perfectly central through the axis of the car and through certain angles there is a bit of weight in it. I suppose thats something the chinese have over this one with their eccentricity adjustment.
Id imagine youd be better off buying a chinese one like you mentioned as were in the south island and shipping wont be cheap from here to Auckland nevermind to oz. Il post a couple pics so you get the jist of our set up anyway.
Im not all about originality but there are features on the car id like to keep original. For example id like to go with the oldschool becker radio look, ive found a cool looking one on the web with an ipod dock on the back so that its hidden but still looks the part and you get good sounds. Not sure about the speakers yet, i need to start thinking about what im going to use because id like to cut them into the parcel tray and reinforce before paint.
The seat belts are a good idea, i will look into it. do you have any notes or pics of how you installed your seatbelts in the frankenbenz?
As for engine i think il be happy enough to reinstall the original engine after reconning.

harryskater_220
250s

Post by harryskater_220 » Thu 14 Feb, 2013 8:05 pm

harryskater_220
250s

Post by harryskater_220 » Thu 14 Feb, 2013 8:12 pm

Brad220S wrote:SEb is fuel injected, Sb has twin carbys, other than that, no difference (that i know of)
ah ok mines definitely an SB then. It has twin solex 34 PICB carbys

Bartman4800
300 SLR

Post by Bartman4800 » Thu 14 Feb, 2013 9:03 pm

Another option for music is to use your original Becker for the looks and sound, and hook up an IPOD to a transceiver (15 bucks on Fleabay)
You set the transceiver to say 100 MhZ, and tune the radio to that frequency. Et voila! You have Ipod music on your Becker system!

Regards, Bart

harryskater_220
250s

Post by harryskater_220 » Thu 14 Feb, 2013 9:31 pm

Hey Bart yeah thats what i do in my work vehicle for music but when it comes to sound quality im pretty fussy. For the Fintail im going to go with something like this:

http://www.justaircooled.co.uk/retrosou ... sound.html

drew56cus
Große

Post by drew56cus » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 8:52 am

Hi Harry,
Some pics of my cars can be found on Photobucket - http://m65.photobucket.com/albums/drew56cus
Make sure it you select full Photobucket rather than being in the mobile phone version, as the pics are tiny otherwise.
There is a folder called 'The Tenorite Terror coupe' where you can see the paint on that car. I also have a pic on my home conputer of a sedan in a similar paint if that would help you make up your mind.
In the album callled 'finny build-up' you will see pics of the seat belt install.
You will also see some pics of a modern retro style radio too, with a proper Becker. I have since got the proper Becker sorted so am going to run with that, so I would sell the other one cheap if you like the style of it. I can send you more detail pics if you PM me your email address.

One thing a fellow kiwi did in his car was to make build metal housings behind the front kick panel areas for bigger speakers and decent resonance. With the front guards on, you would never know. He did send me pics once but I can't find them now... Do you know what I am talking about? The area in front of the A pillar in your pics of the stripped down car. He also got some special carpet that is accoustically transparent in trimmed the rear parcel shelf in it so that the rear speakers could not be seen. I could try to contact him again if you wanted more details. his car was a green finny, that he turned into the most beautiful black car with red interior (hmm, now who could that have inspired??!!)

Cheers,
Drew
Drew
'64 300SE/C (#2 project)
'66 250SE/C (#3 project)

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 9:22 am

einbauanleitung_sicherheitsgurt_w108_110_111.jpg
Factory seat belt mounting for sedans.

Regarding rottiseries, I priced all the steel to make one,and it came to $1800 before i cut and welded everything. So i bought one ebay for $1200 and it has hydraulic jacks which allow me to simply assemble the device around the car,then lift it up . I then adjust the body using the screw jacks at each end so a car is rotated easily.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

harryskater_220
250s

Post by harryskater_220 » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 12:00 pm

Cheers for the Dimensions ron.

I really like what Drew has done with the seat belts in the FrankenBenz, i want to look down that track of putting the inertia reels hidden away in the door sills while i have them open. I will have to buy a fresh set of seat belts soon for making up the mounts for them if anyone has any links for seat belts. original or non original id like to get a hold of some nice looking retractable belts for the front preferably with chrome buckles or something nice. Not Plasticky horrible static ones like the ones that came out. Any maybe just lap belts for the back.

sf0999
250s

Post by sf0999 » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 1:04 pm

re the seatbelts - I have had several dealing with http://www.hemco.com.au and found them very good.

Steve
W111 1961 220S Classic Rally Car "Eugen"
W126 1988 300SEL "Frankie"

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Mon 25 Feb, 2013 10:18 am

I need this sometimes,after a long day under elderly mercs..

drew56cus
Große

Post by drew56cus » Tue 26 Feb, 2013 8:39 am

Harry you need to check out what your local rego laws will allow. The aircraft style chrome buckles looks good, but over here your belts have to have the Aust standards tag sewn into them, and you can't have the aircraft style buckles. So you are stuck with plastic, which are generally black. If you are allowed the aircraft ones, look in the US - such as Juliano's. I got my belts from Stamps in Victoria.
Cheers,
Drew
Drew
'64 300SE/C (#2 project)
'66 250SE/C (#3 project)

markb
300 SLR
Model you own: w123

Post by markb » Tue 26 Feb, 2013 6:27 pm

drew56cus wrote:Harry you need to check out what your local rego laws will allow. The aircraft style chrome buckles looks good, but over here your belts have to have the Aust standards tag sewn into them, and you can't have the aircraft style buckles. So you are stuck with plastic, which are generally black. If you are allowed the aircraft ones, look in the US - such as Juliano's. I got my belts from Stamps in Victoria.
Cheers,
Drew
Stamps also do a variety of belt colors to suit your interior...I once had a burgundy set made to suit my 3.5's interior.. :dance:
Current Fleet
1985 C123 280CE Midnight Blue with blue MB Tex (234k klms, Daily Driver 2010- )
Past Benzes:
1972 W108 280SE 3.5 White (2002-2003 project)
1971 W108 280SE 3.5 White (1999-2006 Unmolested original & sadly missed)
1987 S124 230TE Diamond Blue (2002-2007 Family cruiser)
1983 W126 280SE Champagne 106k Klms (Custodian in 2013)
1969 W113 280SL Champagne (Custodian in 2000)
1988 W124 300E Diamond Blue (2016 project)

Bartman4800
300 SLR

Post by Bartman4800 » Wed 27 Feb, 2013 11:53 am

Does Stamps have a website? Could not find it...

There is also this mob in WA: http://seatbeltsolutions.com.au/

drew56cus
Große

Post by drew56cus » Wed 27 Feb, 2013 1:02 pm

I think he is old school and does not have a site. I found his ad in a car mag once and cut it out. He is in the white pages - google Stamps hot rod seat belts. if you go to my photobucket page you will see the ones I put into Frankenbenz (finny build-up folder).
Drew
'64 300SE/C (#2 project)
'66 250SE/C (#3 project)

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Thu 28 Feb, 2013 8:24 am

There is a seat belt guy in Brisbane too.
http://www.gasolinealley.com.au/custom-seat-belts

harryskater_220
250s

Photo update

Post by harryskater_220 » Sun 17 Mar, 2013 9:26 am

harryskater_220
250s

Post by harryskater_220 » Sun 17 Mar, 2013 9:38 am

So the boot floor is now in, but still no luck with finding compliant airplane buckle style seatbelts...

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Sun 17 Mar, 2013 9:39 am

You made the floor? 100points!
Don't forget to put a drain each side for the boxes on the rear of the rear wheel houses. There is supposed to be a rubber drain thing in there but many disapeared a long time ago .

harryskater_220
250s

Post by harryskater_220 » Sun 17 Mar, 2013 7:23 pm

Mercmad wrote:You made the floor? 100points!
Don't forget to put a drain each side for the boxes on the rear of the rear wheel houses. There is supposed to be a rubber drain thing in there but many disapeared a long time ago .
Good point Ron I totally forgot about the drain holes.
I noticed the rubber tubes that run from the boot hinges today, but couldn't see where they drain to. any ideas where they go to?
Thanks for the points by the way, although olly who is doing all the fabrication and welding for me is the one who deserves them. I'm gonna claim them on this occasion anyway because I've been doing all the prep and donkey work. :dance:

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Mon 18 Mar, 2013 9:49 am

The tubes run to a drain in the wheel house. Depending on what year the car was built ,there is a slit in the outer part of the inner wheel house, at the 12 o'clock position ..(still with me?) which is designed to use the draft from the turning wheel to draw air down through that tube and thus drain the hinge pockets. It never worked unless kept clean or covered in wax and a lot of finnys are rotten in that area . The tube is also an odd size and some sort of soft red rubber.

Bartman4800
300 SLR

Post by Bartman4800 » Mon 18 Mar, 2013 1:10 pm

Nice job!!
I did not see any rot earlier below the taillights, but it looks like you replaced part of the panel there as well?
Can you give us some insight Harry?

Bart

harryskater_220
250s

Post by harryskater_220 » Mon 18 Mar, 2013 4:18 pm

Bartman4800 wrote:Nice job!!
I did not see any rot earlier below the taillights, but it looks like you replaced part of the panel there as well?
Can you give us some insight Harry?

Bart
This is how the boot looked after blasting, I didn't get the floor blasted as I knew it was coming out.
As u can see there was a lot of rot in there on the right, if you look closely the same panel on the left had spots of rot getting through all along the join at the floor so it had to come out.
I didn't see most of the rot when I first bought the car but the blasting really shows you exactly what your working with.

harryskater_220
250s

Post by harryskater_220 » Mon 18 Mar, 2013 4:27 pm

Mercmad wrote:The tubes run to a drain in the wheel house. Depending on what year the car was built ,there is a slit in the outer part of the inner wheel house, at the 12 o'clock position ..(still with me?) which is designed to use the draft from the turning wheel to draw air down through that tube and thus drain the hinge pockets. It never worked unless kept clean or covered in wax and a lot of finnys are rotten in that area . The tube is also an odd size and some sort of soft red rubber.
I think I'm with u Ron, is it the triangular slit that can be seen on this picture? Which is actually packed shut with underseal?

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Mon 18 Mar, 2013 9:57 pm

Hi, yes i am sure that is it,it should be the only factory hole in the wheel house. :laughing6:
The rings are roughly where you should find the drain .
wheel house ..jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

harryskater_220
250s

Post by harryskater_220 » Tue 19 Mar, 2013 5:46 am

Yeah Ron, the smaller white ring you've marked is a factory made slit on this model. it's a pretty clever idea how theyve done that, il have to remember to keep it clear.

pastelgrey300D
OZBENZ Admin

Post by pastelgrey300D » Wed 20 Mar, 2013 2:59 pm

Seriously impressive work! Keep those pictures coming please! :notworthy:
David
1967 W111 230S - Horizonblau
1965 W110 190c - Mittelrot
1967 W110 200D - Weiss (work in progress)
+ other classics

harryskater_220
250s

Post by harryskater_220 » Mon 08 Apr, 2013 6:46 am

So this weekend we got the boot floor finally all finished up and the fuel tank bolted on. Just wanted to ask you lot if anyone knows if the tow bar is a factory thing on these cars? Looks like it has been used for extra protection for the fuel tank. But don't really want to have it on there. This would mean the tank will be fixed on with only three studs and nuts. Somebody told me its necessary to have straps securing the tank similar to what the tow bar would have been doing.

This is what's next, the passenger floor pan rust.

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Mon 08 Apr, 2013 8:14 am

it will be an after market thing ,genuine mercedes tow bars are rare in this part of the world and bolted to the chassis rails on each side. Rather than the center tube thing bolting to the crossmember and the bumper mounts. They also had a big forged tow bar thing which looks like a bulldick.

drew56cus
Große

Post by drew56cus » Mon 08 Apr, 2013 10:04 am

The fuel tank is only held on by the 3 nuts Harry - no straps. I have no reason to believe that MB did not know what they were doing in this regard, so I would not modify it.
Cheers, Drew
Drew
'64 300SE/C (#2 project)
'66 250SE/C (#3 project)

sf0999
250s

Post by sf0999 » Mon 08 Apr, 2013 11:44 am

This is one of the very rare times I would ask MB engineers "What were they thinking? The full fuel tank of a Finnie would be in the vicinity of 70kg and the 3 bolts that hold the tank on are quite small, but more importantly they are through a thin flange on the tank. Metal fatigues -and this most of the weight being at the deeper front section of the tank, it is only supported by the single front bolt. If that bolt does pull through the fatigued metal, the good news is that the fuel lines and assorted other hardware do keep the tank from hitting the tarmac but become horribly distorted in the process. How do I know this, well it did happen to my car. I now have a couple of straps under the fuel tank, still using the same 2 bolts at the rear, but secure at the front by additional bolts through the boot floor. There was no sign of corrosion, or impact damage. The other interesting point is I do not know when it happened, in as much I remember the car softly bottoming out on a driveway and thinking that was a bigger ridge than I thought. I then drove 100km -mostly at 110km on a freeway and parked the car. A short time later I was walking back to the car from a distance and noticed the car looked lower to the ground so I investigated and was quite shocked to realise what was wrong and how far I had driven with the tank springing on the fuel lines. Incidentally, I have since been back to the same driveway and the car does clear it easily -so it was hanging before then.

An unusual failure it may have been, and to be fair to the engineers they would not have been basing their studies on what would happen to the fuel tank in 50 years, but given the way everything else is so well secured, I was surprised when I looked at front bolt.

Steve

harryskater_220
250s

Post by harryskater_220 » Mon 08 Apr, 2013 11:56 am

Good one Steve. Will look at some safety straps/ beefing the mounting lugs up while I'm on with it.
The reason it concerned me is because the previous owner had made a steel box section which Secured the tank to the underside also allowing the tow bar to be bolted to this. Now that I'm removing it it does seem a bit sketchy like when u say there's a full tank of fuel on board.

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Mon 08 Apr, 2013 1:56 pm

The reason for the seemingly weak brackets on the tank is very simple. You get run up the rear by Liberace, the tank is designed to pop out rather than get crushed and possibly catch fire. Bela Berebnyi,the man responsible knew exactly what he was doing. http://youtu.be/2jgsQEPh38c
Last edited by Mercmad on Mon 08 Apr, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sf0999
250s

Post by sf0999 » Mon 08 Apr, 2013 3:26 pm

Thanks Mercmad, I stand corrected -one should never doubt the MB engineers. Brings about an interesting conundrum though, while I can appreciate the tank poping out in a major impact, the thought of 60 lites of unleaded being ignited by the sparkes generated from a tank dragging on the ground is also scary. Personally, knowing that the tank on mine has headed south once, I am keen to keep the straps on mine.

Steve

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod

Post by Mercmad » Mon 08 Apr, 2013 4:18 pm

I've seen a few mercs that were the result of sudden rear enders and none caught fire,unlike the ill fated Ford Pinto,which killed a few people when they exploded in rear enders. Mercedes answered this with the tank behind the seat in the W116 models those that followed.

harryskater_220
250s

Post by harryskater_220 » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 8:40 am

harryskater_220
250s

Post by harryskater_220 » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 8:49 am

Mercmad wrote:The tubes run to a drain in the wheel house. Depending on what year the car was built ,there is a slit in the outer part of the inner wheel house, at the 12 o'clock position ..(still with me?) which is designed to use the draft from the turning wheel to draw air down through that tube and thus drain the hinge pockets. It never worked unless kept clean or covered in wax and a lot of finnys are rotten in that area . The tube is also an odd size and some sort of soft red rubber.
Those tubes u mentioned Ron, on both sides of my finny they're pushed tight on to the underside of the hinge drains but the other ends of those tubes are sitting loose, should they be pushed onto another fitting on the wheel housing? I can't see a way of ever getting in there to push them on and I'm not happy about water draining into the inner wheel housing, this can't be good.

Return to “W110, W111, W112 Sedans, Coupes and Cabriolets.”