This Saturday I decided to rebuild Kermit's Solex carbies. I ordered some Royze rebuild kits a while ago.
They suffered from dirt, and one of the accelerator pumps was not working.
I downloaded a rebuild manual with pictures from the ponton site which was very helpful.
I did a bit of research online on how to best remove all the gunk and found out that plain old white vinegar is the best way.
It does not do anything detrimental to the aluminium, it cleans up the copper without scrubbing and removes all grease, varnish and the like. Vinegar even removes rust from the linkages.
But it takes time. It's best to soak the whole carbie overnight in a bucket.
There is still a grimy layer after the submersion, which can be wiped off. Make sure to rinse it well in water while scrubbing it with a soft brush.
Some carbie cleaner then takes care of the rest. By the way: Repco carbie cleaner is no good, the stuff from supercheap worked a treat!
Apart from my neck muscles, I found the work on the carbies very inspiring. These units are so beautifully built. The base is cast iron which stops them from warping.
One can only wonder why Mercedes decided to change to the horrible Zenith units.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that one of the accelerator pumps leaked after installing the new diaphragm. It was caused by the lid being warped (happens over 50 years being under stress)
I took out an old hand mirror, stuck some 120 grit down with tape and rubbed until I hit the whole lid and not just the corners. That did the trick.
The other carbie was not leaking but I flattened that one anyway.
Before (these were actually after an initial clean with carbie cleaner a few weeks ago, so they were more dirty beforehand):
Once I had mounted the carbies (with an initial tune of 2 rotations out on the mixture screw) and hand filled them with the lever on the fuel pump.
It started straight away (thanks to my new electronic ignition).
Once warmed up I gave it a tune by ear and it now runs great. No more subtle misfires in the exhaust.
The only thing that puzzles me is that there is no vacuum at idle at the end of the vacuum line to the ignition. I made sure the hole in the carbie is clear.
Might have to look at the line to my brake booster now...