Crazy Gun Laws

Forum where discussion is strictly OFF TOPIC and or not suitable for work.
General bile, Politics and other BS discussion goes in here, plus any other shite the admins are sick of putting up with. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. If you are easily offended stay out.
Forum rules
Forum discussion is strictly OFF TOPIC and not suitable for workplace viewing.
General bile, Politics and BS discussion goes in here, plus any other shite the admins are sick of putting up with. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. If you are easily offended stay out.
DO NOT POST DEFAMATORY CONTENT as the forum admins will happily make it available to Statutory authorities or Lawyers upon request
Ludwig
Pagoda
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Crazy Gun Laws

Post by Ludwig » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 5:01 pm

While a 7 shot lever action shotgun is a banned import (a 5 shot is OK) I have just received a license for a 7 shot lever action 30/30.
Now don't panic folks. Like 000's of other responsible gun owners I have no intention of shooting anyone.
1954 W180
1964 W112 300SE lang
1971 W109 300SEL 3.5Litre
1981 W123 280e (2)
1982 W124 230e

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Re: Crazy Gun Laws

Post by CraigB » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 11:06 pm

I gather you have a rural property? My neighbour has a semi auto 22 but i think it took him about 18 months to go through the process. I guess these are all fairly tame compared to the sort of things we see in american movies. Not saying this with any judgement - genuine question - but what circumstances would a 7 shot be advantageous for you. Duck shooting? Mates have said to me that with a rural property i should get one, but i don't have the need. I have the under over and i walk through scrub checking rabbit warrens etc and if i flush a rabbit out i have a couple of shots with different choke, but never thought 'if i had one more shot'. But yes it does depend on who is holding the gun and how they get their hands on it. Still, the example i give is that i am glad that Australia is a place where those that may enter your house are not expecting you might have a gun - less likely for them to carry one and less likely that the crackhead etc will shoot first and then find out you are holding a torch and not a gun. But as is often demonstrated, all the laws in the world don't stop illegal trade in guns that is run by the very people we don't really want to have guns!
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

New123
M-100
Model you own: w123

Post by New123 » Tue 01 Nov, 2016 12:46 am

By lever-action 30/30, he means a rifle (vs. a shotgun). I'm guessing either a Marlin or Winchester. A 7-shot is not anything extra, as that is pretty much the standard and always has been. Designed 150 years ago when it wasn't a federal crime to have a tool that was ready for use all week without having to get a police check, waiting period and govt. permission to simply put some more food on the table. It's the standard caliber for medium-large game such as goat, wild pig, deer, etc.

Sorry for the slight rant.

Just a little of my shooting background:
I grew up in Kentucky and North Florida and been hunting most of my life (also: Tennessee, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Washington, Oregon, Wyoming and Iowa), as well as being a former collector of antique Winchester rifles and shotguns. While serving in the US Air Force, I also spent several years shooting competitive Trap & Skeet. I used to reload most of my own ammunition (rifle and shotgun) and hunted with my antique rifles. Before moving to Australia, one of the big decisions I had to make was to sell all of my guns and related stuff since there was a prohibitive amount of work involved to even begin thinking about bringing any of it with me. I truly miss being able to participate in the shooting sports and just being able to walk over and pull one out of the safe and enjoy the heft and marvel at the workmanship of a tool made over a hundred years ago that still functions as it did when made.

Once again, I apologise for hijacking the thread, but you sort of struck a nerve. Enjoy the lever action! I enjoyed mine...

Bear hunting in the Olympic Mountains in Washington state. Carrying a Winchester Model 1895, .405 WCF (using my own handloads) that was mfg. in 1904.

The .405 does the job! Now the work begins, - skin it, clean it and carry it the 4-hour hike out of the high country back to the truck and the long drive back to civilization.
Toby

Ludwig
Pagoda

Post by Ludwig » Tue 01 Nov, 2016 12:55 am

FERAL PIGS. That's the problem. They run in groups of up to a dozen. In order to control them one needs a fairly rapid fire weapon (semi auto would be better) that "packs a punch". In these situations there is no time for careful aiming for a "head shot". The 30/30 (Marlin) will stop them pretty well wherever it hits.
I don't enjoy doing this but...................?
1954 W180
1964 W112 300SE lang
1971 W109 300SEL 3.5Litre
1981 W123 280e (2)
1982 W124 230e

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Tue 01 Nov, 2016 1:41 am

As soon as i saw Toby's response I thought 'pigs!' Destructive pests and if ever foot and mouth disease was to get into the feral pig population it would destroy our agriculture because we could never eradicate like has been done in UK etc. Something you don't want to be cornered by when angry and trying to reload. And i respect hunters, but like you Ludwig, i don't enjoy it. I do it to remove threats to a balanced ecosystem but if i was a production farmer would also do it to remove threats to production.

I do also understand the history thing. I have an 1870 Cashmore shotgun - beautifully made, engraved hammers etc etc - bought new by my great grandfather and used by generations before handed down to me. Still is a solid gun and gets occasional use, but only with light loads. When cleaning it i think of all the ancestors that have cleaned and cared for it like i do. I also have a 1936 Remington .22 with tube magazine that was my grandfathers - also works perfectly still. I don't have any other items that i know all those ancestors have held/used - I just find that aspect interesting.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Return to “Exhaust / Tailpipe”