Smoking

Forum where discussion is strictly OFF TOPIC and or not suitable for work.
General bile, Politics and other BS discussion goes in here, plus any other shite the admins are sick of putting up with. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. If you are easily offended stay out.
Forum rules
Forum discussion is strictly OFF TOPIC and not suitable for workplace viewing.
General bile, Politics and BS discussion goes in here, plus any other shite the admins are sick of putting up with. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. If you are easily offended stay out.
DO NOT POST DEFAMATORY CONTENT as the forum admins will happily make it available to Statutory authorities or Lawyers upon request
CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Smoking

Post by CraigB » Wed 13 Jan, 2016 12:09 pm

I thought this might be a better place than David Bowies tribute to discuss. I'm not a smoker and on all sorts of things try not to judge others but it is hard to watch people you care about smoke. My sister is a smoker, and not a scientist, and her normal response is that because we had an aunty who lived into her 80's as a heavy smoker - therefore she will be fine. Watching the aunties last 5 yrs or so in a nursing home and the quality of life she had before that I guess there are different ways you can live. Christmas time I was looking at my siblings and couldn't help notice what appears to be a difference in ageing. I don't want to control her and i know that doesnt work, but i don't want her to die nor do her kids and grandkids. So i just try to pick the moment, try not to judge - I don't want to say stuff to piss her off, i only want to say stuff when i think it could make a difference but always on my mind and so hard to know the right thing to say. Most of the time i say nothing.

There was some discussion in the Bowie thread along the lines that you are only at risk of lung cancer from smoking. My brother is a paramedic and had to do a lot of medical training over many years for that and i always remember what he said about smoking - that when statistics are collated for almost any medical condition, smokers tend to come out showing a significantly higher incidence. Don't ask me to explain that but i guess that is what is behind the advertising campaign 'every cigarette is doing you damage' but I think they could put it more clearly with statistics, show us the numbers and present it not in a way to make smokers feel bad, more that you are providing new info that might make it easier to make a choice. I haven't asked my sister how she feels about the ads where a dying adult has to explain to young kids that they are going to die and why, that it was a choice, but i imagine she would say it wont happen to her.

But its not that simple it - just say no and all that. There are just too many people that this affects who don't make the choice amidst all this evidence. Yes it works for some, all the actions of advertising, workplace bans etc has made a difference and there is a lot lower percentage as just making a choice to stop. For the rest, guilt, name calling etc etc is probably not going to be the trigger. But for those that had trouble and kicked it, spreading the word of what worked for them... maybe. I think that is one of the latest ads - guy tried this and that, pressured by others and then one day he just made the decision himself.

Anyway - this is exhaust/ tailpipe - go for it!
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Bartman4800
300 SLR
Model you own: w111

Re: Smoking

Post by Bartman4800 » Wed 13 Jan, 2016 5:18 pm

I never smoked, and certainly not pot (despite what you all think about Dutch people) :boohoo:
I might have tried the odd cigar at X-mas, but you never inhale these buggers..

A few years ago I was renovating my weatherboard house, and a local guy helped me out.
He was in his forties, and on a disability pension because he had had 3 heart attacks in 2 weeks.

After his attacks, the doctor asked him to cut down on fatty food and booze. He also said I won't ask you to stop smoking because that is asking too much.

To which I said his doctor was an eejit. He obviously did not quit smoking.

This guy was panting if he had to get up a stepladder 2 times in a minute.

I think Oz was a bit advanced to Europe when it came to smoking bans. When I studied in the 90-ties smoking was still the norm and other people just had to conform and live with the stink.
I remember waking up on Friday mornings (Thursday was students booze night) with a hangover, jumping in the shower. All your stuff smelt like cigarettes. It was hard to wash out of your pores.

I could never get my head around the fact that people bought very expensive perfume (especially women) who then smoked and smelt like an ashtray.
For me it was the biggest turnoff when dating. Someone with cigarette breath - yuk :puke:

Bart
1963 220 Sb Sedan "Kermit" (Australian Assembly)
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!
2006 Ford Focus "missus car"
2002 VW Passat V6 30V Station Wagon (my new commuter bus)

konrad
Adenauer
Model you own: w112

Post by konrad » Wed 13 Jan, 2016 7:15 pm

One might ask why non smokers are sometimes so anti smoking that they are called bigots. Were one to hear of a person who was deliberately self harming (cutting themselves with razors etc) would one be concerned and do whatever was possible to stop that behaviour? There is no doubt that smoking is the most common form of self harming. On a personal level, and we all have these stories. My stepfather was a strong and good looking man, a mechanical fitter who could turn his hand to most things. Unfortunately he was hooked on Peter Styvesant and smoked several packets a day destroying his lungs with every puff.
Emphysema was the inevitable result and Jack (that was his name) slowly became an invalid where walking to the letterbox to collect the mail required several rest stops. The oxygen bottle was his constant companion. One day he begged my mother to make him a plate of bacon and eggs, a meal which he hadn't been able to eat for some time. That night he tore the oxygen tubes from his noses note and with his feet pushed them down to the bottom of the bed. Next morning we found him dead. His suffering had become unbearable. I don't believe that I even know anyone who smokes so why do I care? We care about others simply because we hate to see our fellow men/women suffering needlessly. Smokers, I don't think that I am better than you and I don't hate you. Fact is that I love you and want to see you happy and healthy.
I implore you, for the sake of your own health and the peace of mind of your loved ones QUIT now and if you fail then try, try again. You will win and you will be glad that you did.

Tony From West Oz
OZBENZ moderator
Model you own: w202

Post by Tony From West Oz » Wed 13 Jan, 2016 9:03 pm

I smoked for most of my adult life. I gave up many times, but only once did that extend beyond 1 year - This is my 15th year without smokes.

What was my motivation to quit?
My father died just before his 65th birthday of lung cancer. He started smoking during his military service in WW2 and didn't stop until he died. I felt that I would prefer that I lived well past my 65th birthday.

How did I prepare myself for quitting?
I started breaking the little habits;
- smoking while driving (put smokes in the boot) if I needed a smoke, I stopped and had it;
- smoking while working in the garden. I would have to stop what I was doing and go and sit down on the verandah to have a smoke;
- smoking in the house. After having to clean and repaint the ceiling in our living areas, I decided that smoke stains were a real PITA to clean off. From then on no smoking inside.

Even with this, and the "Smoking Ban at work", it still took me many tries and 10 years to quit.

I also used chemical assistance - Zyban. I was OK, but my wife went troppo on the stuff and she didn't continue.
Eventually (after her brother and a friend of ours quit "cold turkey') my wife quit with the assistance of Champix.
I gave my wife the support of not making any comments about her smoking (this approach was appreciated by her)
My wife has been smoke-free for 5 years.

I am now approaching the age at which my father died and have no health issues.

I hope this helps someone else to dice the smokes.

Tony
Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

'83 W123 300D 325000km (Wife's car Josephine - sold).
'84 W123 300D replaced good OM617 912 with OM617 952 and enjoyed having good acceleration for the first time since first driving a 300D in 2002 - became engine and trans donor for 300CD Turbodiesel conversion. Now parted out.
'86 W124 300D sold (Wife's old car - sold )
'85 W123 300CD, 275 000km (Fatmobile) rebuilt turbodiesel from previous Fatmobile transplanted into 280CE (occasional tourer)
'99 W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car - Sold)
'98 W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car - Sold)
'06 Ssanyong Musso Crew Cab 2WD Ute (OM662 diesel and Auto Transmission)

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Wed 13 Jan, 2016 9:14 pm

I think its always good to do the put yourself in the other persons shoes thing - and i reckon it would get up my nose a bit if i really enjoyed smoking and it really did it for me and on my death bed I could say I lived my life how i wanted and quite happy to make an early exit - I'm sure we have all done stuff that could have shortened our lives. - but the two relatives I know that died of Emphysema and spent their final years accompanied by an oxygen bottle certainly didn't see it that way and my uncle was the one that really hassled me about not smoking and if only he could have his time again. But mind you at his funeral his 4 daughters all chain smoking, one of those dead now, but recently at a family get together they have all given up now. I think it is best not to start - never know what you missed - for me i was always spending any spare cash on cars and bikes.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

cuisses
300 SLR
Model you own: w108

Post by cuisses » Wed 13 Jan, 2016 10:43 pm

I used to associate smoking with terminal stupidity, but in the early 90's I went to work with a guy who had just won the Nobel prize in physics - and he smoked horrible little cigars continuously. Easily the cleverest person I have met. When I knew him he was 60, and had the energy of a room-full of 6-year-olds. I assumed he was going to live to be 101. He was dead at 75, of lung disease.

As Craig B pointed out, if you smoke , you increase your risk of just about everything:

"Long-term smokers are at a higher risk of developing a range of potentially deadly diseases including:

Cancer of the lungs, mouth, nose, throat, oesophagus, pancreas, kidney, liver, bladder, bowel, ovary, cervix, bone marrow, and stomach.
Lung diseases such as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) which includes chronic bronchitis and emphysema.

Heart disease, heart attack and stroke.

Poor blood circulation in feet and hands, which can lead to pain and, in severe cases, gangrene and amputation. "

but, for many people, even the cleverest ones, it is a very difficult habit to quit.
David Williams

W108 280SE 4.5 (Papyrus White and Palomino)

konrad
Adenauer
Model you own: w112

Post by konrad » Thu 14 Jan, 2016 2:45 am

Perhaps we should use the word foolish instead of stupid to describe smokers. You see a wise man can sometimes do foolish things and still remain wise.

Bartman4800
300 SLR
Model you own: w111

Post by Bartman4800 » Sun 24 Jan, 2016 12:10 am

I just remembered one episode in Adelaide, my first port of call in Australia.

While driving, I was distracted and accidentally hit a BMW 5-series that was parked.
I stopped and got out of the car, and started to ask whose car it was.

It turned out to be from a guy who was visiting a widow. Her man had just died of lung cancer....through smoking
But this guy, the BMW owner, had his larynx removed. He had to talk by putting one of those buzzing things on his throat.
He breathed through a tracheostoma (a hole in the windpipe at the throat). And the cause?.....smoking.

We sat down and exchanged details for the insurance. He asked me whether I smoked, after which I told him my housemate did.

Bring him around, he said. But my housemate politely declined; too confrontative I guess...

Bart
1963 220 Sb Sedan "Kermit" (Australian Assembly)
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!
2006 Ford Focus "missus car"
2002 VW Passat V6 30V Station Wagon (my new commuter bus)

AMG
OZBENZ Admin

Post by AMG » Sat 17 Jun, 2017 5:13 pm

When I was a child, my parents smoked. - it was the 70's after all.

Mum quit when pregnant. took it up, quit after second kid, that's it.

dad used to smoke a pipe, roll his own, the odd cigar... then had a heart attack in 1980 and went cold turkey.

He can't stand cigarette smoke. or people smoking upwind.

I'm asthmatic, not from birth but developed in adolescence.

Tried smoking as a late teenager because it was a rebellious thing to do - underage smoking... haha stuff tastes like faeces. so that didn't last.

Uni was different - smoking was quite a divisive and topical issue.... but EVERYBODY would "smoke" the green stuff if it was around. Hypocrites!

Then again, memories of parties with bucket bongs and people going green and passing out or everyone giggling their f-ing heads off was quite amusing, relatively harmless fun - because everyone looked after each other.... I think that was probably the important thing - noone was too stupid to know when to quit, and noone wanted anyone to puke on their couch etc....

But, I can't stand the smell of cigarettes, I don't care for socializing with smokers, and avoid it, but I still have some friends who smoke - I just casually remind them, "that faeces will kill ya" and don't say it offensively. Seen too many other family members smoke and suffer premature deaths, cancer, etc, and not just the lung either.

Obviously, being an asthmatic, I will simply object to someone lighting up in the immediate vicinity and ask them to go elsewhere, please.

Thankfully the smoking legislation has pretty much ostracized the 'bad' habitual behaviours and provided some kind of containment.

At the end of the day, people can choose to smoke - but I won't be the one standing near them.
Current:
1987 560SL 4sp. auto Signalrot "Stella"
1987 190E 2.3-16 5sp. man. Blauschwarz "Hermann"
1992 300CE-24 6sp. man. Perlblau / Iceblau "Gretel"
1992 Range Rover Vogue SE 4sp auto Ardenne Green "Oswald"
2012 Renault Sport Megane RS265 Trophy 8:08 6 sp. man. Liquid Yellow "Jean Rédélé"
Previous:
1986 560SEL Anthracitgrau "Schultz" - In Mercedes Heaven
1987 190E 2.6 4sp. auto Signalrot "Sabine" - which now resides/owns Andrew M's Garage
1972 350SLC Astralsilber "Lurch" - now in the loving care of Craig B
1989 2.5-16 Blauschwarz 4sp. auto (parted) formerly owned by Derek/Hasan.

Return to “Exhaust / Tailpipe”