W126 Suspension and Tuning Problems

1979-1991 280SE, 300SE, 300SEL, 380SE, 380SEL, 380SEC, 420SE, 420SEL, 420SEC, 500SE, 500SEL, 500SEC, 560SEL, 560SEC

W126 Suspension and Tuning Problems

Postby sparkmarkirl » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 11:35 pm

Hi all,

I am a new MB owner, new to this site and new to Australia. From Ireland, mostly had E30's (BMW's) - even drove an 81 all the way across to Sydney from Perth when I was here last on holiday.

So my big problem...
I found a fantastic W126 1985, 220,000kms, 280SE. I've been going on a tune up rampage - I was hoping to travel up the North West Coast from Perth.

So replaced the 6 spark plugs (won't tell you how bad they were and how hard they were to remove!!!), oil and oil filter, brake pads front and rear, internal globes, dash globes, front seat removal for spring repair, interior carpet removal for cleaning and coolant flush.

So I was feeling pretty happy with the car and then this afternoon when I set off to the local dump to dispose of my spent fluids I found myself bouncing down the road???

From my online searches - I'm guessing it's the Spheres in the rear (I think it's SLS in the rear and standard up front) that have gone. Has anyone here had that problem? If so how did you over come it? Is it easy enough to replace the system with normal type shocks? Or is it better to replace the Spheres? I'd prefer to replace.

The car has the M110 engine and I've noticed the belt B - for the power steering pump??? is not connected - however the PS works just fine - I've already picked up a belt.

If you have any knowledge of this problem - please let me know - if you have a 'How To' guide on Sphere replacement - that would be a great help - I'm a backpacker with not a huge skill under the bonnet but always up for problem solving.

Does anyone know how to reduce the Rev's - she was idling at 1500 rpms pre oil and spark change but has now dropped to 1000 rpms - still a little high IMO - was hoping to achieve 800 rpms - any suggestions on how to get it down?

Also the high beam on the passenger side is not working - I've change out the bulbs (and double checked on the working side) - the right side comes on and the dash light works - I just can't seem to figure it out.

My gear selector does not light up at night (I keep putting on the interior light to find my gears) does anyone know if these light up - it appears to be some form of fiber optic - but the previous owner seems to have snapped it in two at some point.

Any help - or advice would be greatly received :)
sparkmarkirl
C Class

Re: W126 Suspension and Tuning Problems

Postby Greg in Oz » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi Sparkmarkirl,

Welcome to Obenz, the Mercedes-Benz marque and to Australia! Given that your questions refers to a W126, I have moved this topic from the W124 forum to the W126 forum.

The behaviour of the ride in the rear certainly is symptomatic of failed spheres in the rear SLS suspension (assuming your car does in fact have SLS). They are fairly straight forward to replace but the pipe fittings can be stubborn to loosen. Be sure to use suitable pipe (flare nut) spanners. Some have replaced the rear SLS with conventional suspension however this necessitates fitting shock absorbers (dampers) in place of the rear struts and replacement springs. This can end up costing more than new spheres for the SLS and will leave you with a slightly inferior suspension system. It is only when the rear struts have also failed (usually due to spheres not being replaced soon enough after failure) that it becomes more economical to replace the SLS with conventional suspension. As for instructions on sphere replacement, I'm fairly certain it has been discussed here before. If you don't have any luck with a search, let us know and we'll be pleased to guide you.

I suspect the belt you mention is not that for the power steering pump, but that for the the emission control (exhaust port) air pump. It is very common to see these belts removed due to failure of the air pump.

Idle speed is set by way of the idle air screw. Just be sure that the throttle butterfly is closing fully. Any contamination around the butterfly (or if someone has adjusted it not to close) will upset the idle. Idle air should all flow via the idle air circuit not via the throttle body.

The high beam fault could be due to the fuse or lamp socket. MB use separate fuses for each beam on each side.

Contact our forum sponsor for any parts you require.

Regards,
Greg
107023 - 350SLC: 3sp auto, icon gold, parchment MBtex (sold July 2012 after 29 years ownership)
107026 - 500SLC: 4sp auto, thistle green, green velour
124090 - 300TE: 4sp auto, arctic white, cream-beige MBtex
201028 - 190E-2.3 Sportline: 5sp manual, arctic white, blue leather
201028 - 190E-2.3: 4sp auto, blueblack, grey MBtex
201028 - 190E-2.3 Sportline: 4sp auto, signal red, black cloth (parts car)
201034 - 190E-2.3-16 Cosworth: 5sp manual, blueblack, black leather
YG2S8 - 1972 Mini Clubman GT: 4sp manual, blue, parchment vinyl (my first car which I still own)
Greg in Oz
OZBENZ Admin

Postby John Green » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 7:32 pm

From my online searches - I'm guessing it's the Spheres in the rear (I think it's SLS in the rear and standard up front) that have gone. Has anyone here had that problem? If so how did you over come it? Is it easy enough to replace the system with normal type shocks? Or is it better to replace the Spheres? I'd prefer to replace.

Have to be one of the most common topics on this forum.... Yes fit new spheres or air cells or accumulators, they all mean the same thing. Very basic DIY job is you have a set of spanners. No bleeding required, just fill up the reservior when finished. And buy the parts from M.B Spares 1300 787 300.

The headlmp out is possibly a fuse as they are fused separately for left and right.
Save up to 50% on your Mercedes-Benz parts. Phone toll free on 1300 787 300
M.B Spares 14-16 Lyell St, Fyshwick ACT spares@mbspares.com.au
M.B Spares
Alex Holland Classic Cars
John Green
OZBENZ Admin

Postby sparkmarkirl » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 9:47 pm

HI John,

Thanks for the reply - I changed the spheres this afternoon - got two for $300 from an indie MB parts guy - would have been finished hours ago - but one nut just would not budge - a freeze spray eventually got me some movement - the car is moving pretty well now - just a strange rattle - guessing it's a loose nut - get it sorted 2mro.

I've looked into the fuses - everything in the box is good - is there another fuse some place else?

Would you have any idea on how to get light back - down to the gear selector?

Warm regards from Perth :)
sparkmarkirl
C Class

Postby sparkmarkirl » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 10:40 pm

Thanks Greg for your reply - spheres have been replaced - I didn't have a pit or lift so took ages to with lots of building blocks holding the weight.

I've checked all the light fusses - all are ok with the correct fuses being used - I'm guessing there must be a loose connection some where - but I am yet to find it...

Regards the idle butterfly - what might that look like - to be very honest I've learnt all my skills* from online forms so I don't know what everything looks like - is it easy enough to adjust - have you tired it before?

Warm regards from Perth :)
sparkmarkirl
C Class

Return to W126