Star Shots! - Show us your Ride

1968 - 1976: 220, 220D, 230, 230.4, 230.6, 240D, 250, 250C, 250CE, 280, 280E, 280CE, 300D
WarrenM
Zeppelin
Model you own: w114

Re: Star Shots! - Show us your Ride

Post by WarrenM »

Do you still have grilles?
Thanks
Warren
http://mercedesbenzw114swtroke8.myfanforum.orgImage
1972 MB 280E
1995 MB E280

1976 Mercedes Benz 0309D Camper-gone but not forgotten
Etie
A Class

Post by Etie »

WarrenM wrote:Do you still have grilles?
Thanks
Warren
hey the q starts behind me :)
w114 230 auto 1970
Bers

Post by Bers »

Hey guys some very nice cars on here. so i dont know much about cars but i know what i like and am here to learn all i can. I recently scored my first mercedes dark blue 1974 250. My mum wanted to sell it cause she got a hilux, i couldnt let her get rid of it so i gave her the $1000 she wanted for it and flew over to the gold coast to pick it up. she wanted me to get it trucked across to Perth but wheres the fun and adventure in that.

No service before we left and not a single problem with the car the whole trip just had to keep the fuel additive up as it would occasionally feel like it was suffocating when up around 100-110. im really noob when it comes to cars.
It took my girlfriend and I 7 days to get across just taking it steady from northern nsw through Armidale, Broken hill down to Port Augusta, across the Nullabor and up to Perth 3 days through NSW 2 through S.A and 2 through W.A. was so much fun in the old girl most road trip fun ive had i crossed Australia in a vx commodore before and it was boring.

so many looks and smiles from strangers i think the looks were a combination of appreciation and wondering how long before we breaks down in the bush. So now im back in Perth and back at work im starting to save to get some work down. theres a few minor rust spots across the boot and on the drivers floor where the cracked windscreen seal lets the water in and pools on the floor in heavy rain. I'd like to get it repainted black one day but for now im just going to get a good tint summer is killer in perth without tint and maybe some rims, i know alot of you like to keep it all original but i like a combination of old and new.
ill be back with lots of questions so thank you all in advance for the help. first off is there any way i can fix dash cracks as theres a few decent size ones id like to pretty up. enough chatter heres the car the racks are off now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WarrenM
Zeppelin

Post by WarrenM »

Welcome to the forum- great to see another W114 and from Perth as well. Quite a few in WA :)
1972 MB 280E
1995 MB E280

Dweezil
C 111
Model you own: w123
Region: New South Wales

Post by Dweezil »

Bers, what's the paint code on your car?

If you don't know, check out the metal tag on the radiator cross-member. It'll be three digits with either an H or a G at the end.

Thanks

Dweezil
Sir Digby
Model you own: w115

Post by Sir Digby »

Hi All,
Don't know much about cars but i purchased this 1971 W115 220 the other week because no-one else at the auction wanted it. It has 12mnths rego and had half a tank of fuel. Anyway still deciding if i should just drive it till the rego runs out/or it dies and then sell it, or should i try to repair and maintain it and use it as a daily drive. As i don't know much about cars and live in country NSW, far away from ideal mechanics, i may go for the first option and see how long it runs for.

I was told that an Indian diplomat in Canberra use to drive it, or be driven in it. The prevoius owner to me passed away. Other than that I don't know anymore of its history.

Nevertheless here is what it looks like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WarrenM
Zeppelin

Post by WarrenM »

Welcome to the forum-drive it and you will like it.
Not sure where you are but be a good idea to let a mechanic check it for you before you make a final decision
1972 MB 280E
1995 MB E280

Sir Digby
Model you own: w115

Post by Sir Digby »

WarrenM wrote:Welcome to the forum-drive it and you will like it.
Not sure where you are but be a good idea to let a mechanic check it for you before you make a final decision
Cheers Warren,
Yes, in fact i do love driving it.
The mechanic in town who had be maintaining it for the deceased owner said it would cost a lot of money to fix what was wrong with it. I didn't find out exactly what was wrong with it, but i did notice a small engine oil leak, plus shifting into 2nd gear is quite hard. other than that it runs well.
Air con works too!

Look forward to reading and learning a bit more about these cars.
dewolf1
Pagoda

Post by dewolf1 »

Thinking about putting two big stripes over the top of it and calling it bumblebee
W114.JPG
number2 190
Gelandewagen
Model you own: w121

Post by number2 190 »

Looks coool :rr:
But I reckon no stripes but with those wheels...... some period stock car style sign writing like this.

But then I'm weird :bounce:

Got the Benz disease....and I like it!!!

1987 Mercedes 230TE - The Ox!
1969 BMW 2002
1980 Porsche 924 Turbo
con ioannou
B Class

Post by con ioannou »

hello all,this is my first posting on the ozbenz forum and i look forward to finding as much information as i can on all things 114. I have a 1974 280ce, yellow and has a genuine 115k on the clock. I bought her back in 2000 off the proverbial little old lady who at the time was 94 yrs old. She bought the car new from Austral Mercedes and drove it till 1988 at which time she lost her license due to health issues. It was garaged till i bought it. She is totally rust free except for a tiny patch on the rhs rear guard at the very bottom. She has all the usual CE options, roof, a/c etc but i have never seen a photo of one with factory wind deflectors on the front pillars, as well as chrome bumper overriders. Recently i have decided to start restoration on her and all is going well. The drivetrain is fully rebuilt..engine,trans,convertor,diff,shaft. I have completely rebuilt the suspension and steering including the steering box, new A/C condensor, new radiator. new brake booster, slave, brake lines, caliopers, rotors. Ihave recently stripped the engine bay and had it resprayed only to do it again because i wasnt happy with the first job, the boot has also been stripped right back to bare metal and resprayed. I have also got new white walls on her and decided to fit slightly lower springs made by Kmac in sydney, not for looks but for a firmer more controlled ride as i fitted koni shocks all round as well.The only none genuine look to the car is the lowering and i also polished the tappetr cover on the engine just for that little bit of bling on to top off my brand new engine. anyway ill post some shots now i have on my phone..but will get more better quality soon..cheers con
con ioannou
B Class

Post by con ioannou »

IMAG0085.jpg
IMAG0087.jpg
dewolf1
Pagoda

Post by dewolf1 »

Con,

Sweet looking engine. Please post some more pics. My son and I start work on his 114 sedan shortly and pics like this get him enthused.

Cheers
Scott
DanW114

Post by DanW114 »

New to this site so heres my baby. Currently in the shop getting a custom air ride setup. Stay tuned for more pics.
dewolf1
Pagoda

Post by dewolf1 »

After lowering
dewolf1
Pagoda

Post by dewolf1 »

chopped, sectioned and lowered some more. Gotta love photochop.
Giles
300 SL Gullwing
Model you own: I own multiple different models
Region: Western Australia

Post by Giles »

For those with an eye for class & beauty, some shots of my eldest daughters projecty W114 280E nearing completion.

The replacement steering box is in and the white walls are fitted. Just some minor details to finish before handing it over in October when she gets her P plates.
IMGP0022r.jpg
IMGP0023r.jpg
IMGP0033r.jpg
IMGP0037r.jpg
IMGP0038r.jpg
I have more pics, but by request only.

Regards,

Giles
1988 V126 560SEL Poida The King wears white
1981 C107 500SLC Lola. The Queen wears black
1989 V126 420SEL Shaun The Jack wears black
2007 X164 500GL James The Joker wears black

http://www.kudoscc.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/kudoscc?mibextid=LQQJ4d
AMG
OZBENZ Admin

Post by AMG »

Giles, Thats a cool colour. Lovin' it. Your daughter is spoiled :laughing6: :occasion5:
Current:
107.048 722.313 Signalrot Stella
124.051 716.62 Perlblau / Iceblau Gretel
201.034 717.404 Blauschwarz Hermann
212.074 722.931 Diamantweiß Klaus
124.090 722.358 Malachit Grün Beatrix

Previous:
126.039 Anthracitgrau "Schultz" - In Mercedes Heaven
201.029 Signalrot "Sabine" - has taken ownership of Andrew's Garage
107.023 Astralsilber "Lurch" - now in the loving care of Craig B
201.035 Blauschwarz (parted) formerly owned by Derek/Hasan.
Giles
300 SL Gullwing

Post by Giles »

Joe, did you see the Monaro in the background of the second picture?

Very retro, pure fluke.

Regards,

Giles

cuisses
300 SLR
Model you own: w108

Post by cuisses »

Giles, I like the way you treat your children. Can you please adopt me. I am 46, but I am already fully educated (no nasty HECS debts) and in fact gainfully employed (if you count working for a university as being gainfully employed). I would like a Pagoda in the same colour scheme. Not too fussy about engine size, but would prefer a manual. I already have a licence, but would gladly go back on P's for said vehicle (I drive slowly anyway).

What does the interior look like?
David Williams

W108 280SE 4.5 (Papyrus White and Palomino)
AMG
OZBENZ Admin

Post by AMG »

Giles wrote:Joe, did you see the Monaro in the background of the second picture?

Very retro, pure fluke.

Regards,

Giles
I think it's a HK in Lone-O-ranger ! I wonder if it's a 327. might be a HT350 though - hard to tell.
Current:
107.048 722.313 Signalrot Stella
124.051 716.62 Perlblau / Iceblau Gretel
201.034 717.404 Blauschwarz Hermann
212.074 722.931 Diamantweiß Klaus
124.090 722.358 Malachit Grün Beatrix

Previous:
126.039 Anthracitgrau "Schultz" - In Mercedes Heaven
201.029 Signalrot "Sabine" - has taken ownership of Andrew's Garage
107.023 Astralsilber "Lurch" - now in the loving care of Craig B
201.035 Blauschwarz (parted) formerly owned by Derek/Hasan.
Giles
300 SL Gullwing

Post by Giles »

cuisses wrote:Giles, I like the way you treat your children. Can you please adopt me. I am 46, but I am already fully educated (no nasty HECS debts) and in fact gainfully employed (if you count working for a university as being gainfully employed). I would like a Pagoda in the same colour scheme. Not too fussy about engine size, but would prefer a manual. I already have a licence, but would gladly go back on P's for said vehicle (I drive slowly anyway).

What does the interior look like?
Hi David,

The interior is OK, needs new carpets though. The dash has the usual cracks, a mat is in order.

I've found the car you requested. Maybe send Santa a request.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Model-Car-Me ... 2eb7159198

Regards,

Giles

raymond123
C Class

Post by raymond123 »

Hey,

My name is Ray. I'm in my mid 20's and this is my 280 sedan.I have a large appreciation for classic cars BMw's, Fiat's, Alfa's, Mercedes' etc thanks to my dad so i have tried to keep the car pretty simple and classic looking with just a slight modern stance. Alot of you won't like it, and i respect that. But apart from the ride height i don't believe i have ruined the classic look of the car. The car has been lowered on custom made springs and shortened shocks, the car DOES NOT HAVE AIRBAGS. Im not a fan of airbags and i get asked that alot. The only other modification is a mild stereo install so i can listen to some tunes on the weekend drives, white wall inserts and the 250 CE double front bumper. No engine mods or body alterations. Car is a 74 model but i have put the earlier series tail lights and steering wheel (thin with the horn ring) on also. Appreciate your feedback good or bad, but if its not your thing, there is no need for rude or harsh comments, each to their own.

thanks,
Ray

Jake
Maybach
Region: New Zealand (Sth Island)

Post by Jake »

Hi guys , I've just joined the forum, what a great selection of lovely w114 mercedes you all have here.

I have a '72-250 that has been converted to 240D about 15yrs ago. About 5yrs ago I tossed the auto in favor of the more sensible manual gearbox. I should have done it yrs before as it has given the old girl a new lease on life.

The yellow is getting a bit thin, but the blue interior is completely intact and no cracks in the dash. Living in the shed is its saviour. I have taken off the facelift steering wheel and fitted the original slim one with the chrome horn ring.

I REALLY enjoy the diesel fuel economy :dance:

If I live long enough to wear this car out, I have a '76-300D waiting in the shed :love4:

It's not so pretty , being for the North American market , big bumpers and round headlights etc , but I think the dark color suits it well.

There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness .
Benz Hur
M-100
Model you own: w111

Post by Benz Hur »

Jake wrote:
If I live long enough to wear this car out, I have a '76-300D waiting in the shed :love4:

It's not so pretty , being for the North American market , big bumpers and round headlights etc , but I think the dark color suits it well.
Welcome Jake! How strange to see a Merc with the diving-board US bumpers on it over here! Do you know the story behind it? US diplomat private import? How bizarre!

I guess if you did wear the yellow car out (unlikely running the man/diesel combo!) you could swap the bumpers etc out and maybe even make the blue one left-hand drive.
Michael

'62 W111 220SE sedan German built, front bench. Esmerelda
'70 W114 250CE sold
'72 W114 280C in DB-606 (Maple Yellow) PNG import. Celeste
Jake
Maybach

Post by Jake »

Thanks for the welcome :)

The Blue 300D came here with the original owner as a private import from Canada in 1982 so it is original Left Steer.

I'm the second NZ owner. It has a very strong engine , but the 240D is just SO much more economical :)
slapshot
B Class

Post by slapshot »

Stopped by work today to tidy up my recently acquired 75 280ce, thought i'd take a quick snap while I was here. Not quite as mint as it looks in the photo but very tidy none the less. After a couple of years hunting around turns out a friend of a friend had this parked up in his garage...
ANF
300 SLR

Post by ANF »

raymond123 wrote:Hey,

My name is Ray. I'm in my mid 20's and this is my 280 sedan.I have a large appreciation for classic cars BMw's, Fiat's, Alfa's, Mercedes' etc thanks to my dad so i have tried to keep the car pretty simple and classic looking with just a slight modern stance. Alot of you won't like it, and i respect that. But apart from the ride height i don't believe i have ruined the classic look of the car. The car has been lowered on custom made springs and shortened shocks, the car DOES NOT HAVE AIRBAGS. Im not a fan of airbags and i get asked that alot. The only other modification is a mild stereo install so i can listen to some tunes on the weekend drives, white wall inserts and the 250 CE double front bumper. No engine mods or body alterations. Car is a 74 model but i have put the earlier series tail lights and steering wheel (thin with the horn ring) on also. Appreciate your feedback good or bad, but if its not your thing, there is no need for rude or harsh comments, each to their own.

thanks,
Ray

Hi Ray, a car that low is not my thing, but i can appreciate the work and effort that has gone into it, and if YOU like it, well that's all that matters..... It does look like a nice, clean car.
It looks very low, how does it go driving around town? Some more shots (interior too) would be nice :occasion5:
69-250c
Dernburg Wagon

Post by 69-250c »

Hi Ray

I'd also like to know about your suspension. I'm looking to lower my 250 coupe, not as low as yours, but i'm not sure where to get springs from. Did you have yours custom made? If so by who?

Car is looking great by the way
raymond123
C Class

Post by raymond123 »

He guys thanks for the comments. 69-250c i did get custom made springs. I measured the height orginally, then i cut the springs to the height i wanted making sure it wasnt rubbing on anything. Then i measured the differnce in height, and took a second set of original height springs that i have with me to ALLsprings in Moorebank sydney and asked them to make springs with the same rating as the original ones i gave them, just with the lower height i had measured. I think it cost $270 for a set of new springs. Those guys really are tops. They know their stuff.

Once the custom springs were made i threw away the chopped ones that it was sitting on and installed the new lower ones and then started driving it. I still have the second set of original height springs incase i want to raise it one day.

ANF it doesnt ride too bad. Being so low i dont drive fast or aggressively. I just enjoy the cruise. But i imagine performance wise it would be quite crap. but on the road just normal driving it isnt too bouncey because it still has the standard 14 inch wheels with high profile tyre which cushion the bounce alot. I have removed the centre muffler and raised the exhaust as much as possible, but i do get the exhaust scraping quite alot still. The car also has a slight hum to it also with the centre muffler gone, which i didnt want but it isnt too bad and the tone is nice.

The interior is the standard blue leather in pretty good nik. No modifications except for the stereo so i can listen to some nice tunes as i drive..
Thanks for the interest and nice comments..

T-Modell
die Nützlichkeit Meister
Model you own: w107
Region: EU- Western

Post by T-Modell »

raymond123 wrote:...
Well Ray,

two questions:
1) How old are you?
2) How's your spine? :whistle:

You can team up with the Morgan drivers, they know which side the coin was they ran over ... :dance:

Thomas
---------------------------------------------------------------
1967 W111 250SE Cabriolet, horizon blue
1973 W115 220D 5.0 Pick-Up Argentina, solar orange, "Ute"
1986 R107 500SL, arctic white, the midlife crisis viagra replacement
2007 R171 SLK350, calcit white
2019 W222 S560, ruby black, comfy cruiser
raymond123
C Class

Post by raymond123 »

hahah thanks thomas. its not that bouncey. i've been in cars that are much worst. im 27.

ray
Starman
540 K
Model you own: w211

Post by Starman »

Don't you love Sunday mornings...
W212 E400 Avantgarde
W211 E500 Elegance sold
W202 C200 "the Tank" sold
Giles
300 SL Gullwing

Post by Giles »

Starman wrote:Don't you love Sunday mornings...
Must have been a big Saturday night to post your nice W211 in the W114 section. :occasion5:

Regards,

Giles

raymond123
C Class

Post by raymond123 »

its still an E class! just newer!!
Starman
540 K
Model you own: w211

Post by Starman »

Actually it was a really big Friday night...
W212 E400 Avantgarde
W211 E500 Elegance sold
W202 C200 "the Tank" sold
Giles
300 SL Gullwing

Post by Giles »

raymond123 wrote:its still an E class! just newer!!
Never really thought of a W114 as an E Class, more of a compact.

Regards,

Giles

Benz Hur
M-100

Post by Benz Hur »

Giles wrote: Never really thought of a W114 as an E Class, more of a compact.
Ditto. A Compact S Class if anything... :glasses2:
Michael

'70 W114 250CE sold
Greg in Oz
300 SL Gullwing

Post by Greg in Oz »

Benz Hur wrote:
Giles wrote: Never really thought of a W114 as an E Class, more of a compact.
Ditto. A Compact S Class if anything... :glasses2:
Technically, the W114/115 was a "Compact" but it was also a logical forerunner of the E-Class. In chronological order you have the W110, W114/115, W123, W124, W210, W211 and W212.

The S-Class including its forerunners in chronological order is W111/112, W108/109, W116, W126, W140, W220 and W221.
107026 500SLC 1981 4sp auto, thistle green, green velour
124052 E320 Coupe 1993 5sp auto, nautical blue, cream-beige leather
124090 300TE 1990 4sp auto, arctic white, cream-beige MBtex
163175 ML500 2002 5sp auto, silver, black leather
201024 190E-2.0 1985 5sp manual, black, black MBtex
201028 190E-2.3 Sportline 1990 5sp manual, arctic white, blue leather
201028 190E-2.3 1992 4sp auto, blueblack, grey MBtex
201028 190E-2.3 Sportline 1990 4sp auto, signal red, black cloth (parts car)
201034 190E-2.3-16 Cosworth 1985 5sp manual, blueblack, black leather
204047 C250 2012 7sp auto, cavansite blue, cream leather (hers)
YG2S8 Mini Clubman GT 1972 4sp manual, blue, parchment vinyl (my first car which I still own)
Benz Hur
M-100

Post by Benz Hur »

^ Jah, was more an expression of affection than fact. :love4:
Michael

'70 W114 250CE sold
Giles
300 SL Gullwing

Post by Giles »

My daughters W114 coupe from the panel shop. She loves this car, still misses the sedan though.

Now with a new front left hand guard,a backyard spit and polish, a white series 1 steering wheel, two new rear sway bar links and a car stereo fitted by yours truely.
IMGP0085.JPG
IMGP0089.JPG
Regards,

Giles

MR300TD
M-100

Post by MR300TD »

Giles wrote:My daughters W114 coupe from the panel shop. She loves this car, still misses the sedan though.

Now with a new front left hand guard,a backyard spit and polish, a white series 1 steering wheel, two new rear sway bar links and a car stereo fitted by yours truely.
IMGP0085.JPG
IMGP0089.JPG
Regards,

Giles
That is one fine looking car sir! :occasion5:
1980 W123 300TD - Auto - 526000 kms and getting better everyday.. (AUS)
1985 w123 230TE - Auto - 486300 kms, Saved by Me (Aus) (now sold)

1985 W123 300TD - Auto - The one I had to leave behind... (Sold UK)
1983 W123 300TD - 5 Speed Manual + every extra under the sun ... (Sold UK)
1983 W123 230TE - Auto - The parts car... (Sold UK)
1983 W123 230TE - Auto - My first W123 (Sold UK)
Jake
Maybach

Post by Jake »

I really love the color of the coupe, and the wheels and the trim.

Nice package all round Giles. :)
raymond123
C Class

Post by raymond123 »

i agree... neat looking coupe!

Ray
Dweezil
C 111

Post by Dweezil »

Nice, Giles. Very reminiscent of the Orient Red 108 on this page:

http://www.ozbenz.net/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... ent#p72012

Dweezil
Benz Hur
M-100

Post by Benz Hur »

Giles, the coupe looks amazing. If that doesn't score you Father of the Year there's something wrong!

Are the Bundts regular 14 inchers? They look fantastic with white line tyres. I'm officially a convert to the chrome wheel arch molds too - I don't care what the critics say. Surely if it doesn't sit out in the rain too much they're not going to attract the tin worm that easily?

Great job! Lucky girl!
Michael

'70 W114 250CE sold
Jake
Maybach

Post by Jake »

Mercedes Love

Dormant 280e getting the gift of life from noddy (240D)

Jake
Maybach

Post by Jake »

Noddy at work .

220D race car

Jake
Maybach

Post by Jake »

Noddy at work , again :)

250 parts car.

Benz Hur
M-100

Post by Benz Hur »

Nice pics and great work Jake! (and Noddy of course).

Are old Mercs quite common place in NZ? Not too far to do some parts trades perhaps.
Michael

'70 W114 250CE sold