W114 mechanic in adelaide

1968 - 1976: 220, 220D, 230, 230.4, 230.6, 240D, 250, 250C, 250CE, 280, 280E, 280CE, 300D
Pulsk001
Dernburg Wagon
Model you own: w114

W114 mechanic in adelaide

Post by Pulsk001 »

Hi guys, I'm a new owner of a 73 230.4. Picked up a few hours ago, loving it so far.

Few issues to fix:
Signal lights blink erratically
Cluster lights don't work (owner mentioned that a fix is to bypass the dimmer)
Slight clunk when changing gears
Exhaust rattles on start up.
Some oil leaks

I have been a bmw and mini person all this while and have not had much experience with these MB's. Can someone recommend a good mechanic in Adelaide who can have a look at these issues for me.

Any suggestions for the issues above will be much appreciated!
Pics soon!
pastelgrey300D
Maybach Exelero
Model you own: w111

Re: W114 mechanic in adelaide

Post by pastelgrey300D »

Hi and welcome to ozbenz!

Olaf Zaworski in Bowden would be a good start, he specializes in pre-90s Mercs and comes highly recommended by many on this forum. His details are on the MB club sa website: http://msa.mercedes-benz-clubs.com/Tech ... 131/en/001

The indicators and dash lights are a fairly easy DIY repair. The dimmer rheostat usually fails (the resistance wire breaks) so either replace the rheostat or the shortcut is to bridge it with a wire at the back of the rheostat (then they will always be on full brightness).

The instrument cluster is easy to remove - you reach up under the dash and push the cluster out from behind (it isn't held in with any screws). Undo the knurled nut holding the speedo cable in, pull off the electrical connector and then pull the cluster forward enough to undo the mechanical oil pressure gauge line. Being a '73 you should have the electric temp gauge.

Wiring on these models is incredibly robust, 99% of the time it's what's at the end of the wires that's the problem. Check and clean the bulb holders, otherwise it might be the flasher unit which is incorporated into the back of the hazard light switch in the center console. Another thing to check is fuses - the fuse box terminals can corrode and the fuses can arc where they meet the termimals - so while the fuse might appear ok and not be blown it can have a bad connection. Replacing all the fuses with new ones and cleaning up the terminals can fix a lot of electrical issues on these cars.

Great to see another mini owner on here too! :rr:
David
1967 W111 230S - Horizontblau
1965 W110 190c - Mittelrot
1963 W110 190c - Custom Wagon Conversion (work in progress)
1983 W123 280E - About as modern as I dare to go (rolling resto project)
+ other classics
4heckssake
M-100
Model you own: w123

Post by 4heckssake »

Welcome.
Most of those things are easy to fix (maybe not the oil leaks).
Depending which part of Adelaide you are in I would firstly go to the fount of all knowledge on these things. Olaf, located in Bowden. details are contained in this post
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=16762&p=116089&hilit=guru#p116089
there are a number of other good mechanics around the place. which part of town are you in?
Rod
Current fleet: VW amarok.
Pulsk001
Dernburg Wagon

Post by Pulsk001 »

Thanks heaps for the detailed explanation pastelguy. I will give it a go on the weekend.
I was fiddling with it today and found the exhaust rubber clamps worn out, replaced them
Fuel line leak between tank and metal line to the front. Moved the clamps n tightened and it seems ok for now. Will replace asap.
Found a 10 cent size hole on the driver floorpan :bounce:

I've noticed sometimes when I'm waiting at the lights with the car in gear, there's a slight misfire. But only once and then it's normal.

Which website would be a good place to buy the flasher unit.

I live northeast in Payneham and work in the city. Yes I have had a Morris minor, beetle and most recently a Leyland Mini.

This car feels so refined for a 73, maybe coz I was driving the mini before

Thanks gents
CraigB
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB »

My only additional comment is try to rotate the rheostat knob back and forth and see if anything comes on - Not once has this failed me yet - but i guess now i have said it wont happen again!
Craig Baulderstone
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL Ruby
300TE Otto
350SL Gloria
350SLC Lurch
450SEL Boris
500SEC's...including Syd
560SEL's Foufou and Zac
4heckssake
M-100
Model you own: w123

Post by 4heckssake »

hey one more thing I think the 230.4 is technically a 115, the 6 cylinder versions are 114's. cheers.
Current fleet: VW amarok.
Pulsk001
Dernburg Wagon

Post by Pulsk001 »

CraigB wrote:My only additional comment is try to rotate the rheostat knob back and forth and see if anything comes on - Not once has this failed me yet - but i guess now i have said it wont happen again!
Hi buddy, tried that last night.....no luck. Will remove the cluster and see how I go this weekend.

Drove into work today in the city, car handled traffic quite well. Apart from the annoying blinkers it was great.

Another problem I have found is, my left brake light is very dim. Put in a new bulb and cleaned the contact points but no luck. Any idea what this may be.

Will post up some pics of my oil leaks this weekend and maybe you guys can give me some ideas where they might be coming from. I thought of degreasing and washing the engine, is this ok to do? Cover the distributor and carby with a plastic bag?

Do you guys know any manual car wash places here with ramps, I used to go to one when I was in Perth and it is very convenient to wash under carriage. Not seen any in SA yet.

Cheers and happy motoring.

Thanks for the pointer about it being a w115! :dance:
pastelgrey300D
Maybach Exelero
Model you own: w111

Post by pastelgrey300D »

Another problem I have found is, my left brake light is very dim. Put in a new bulb and cleaned the contact points but no luck. Any idea what this may be.
This could be a dodgy earth and might be the reason why your indicators aren't working too well - if you follow the wiring in the boot you should find a spot where a ring terminal with brown wires bolts to the body - clean up this connection and see if that helps. Also check the connector block at the light itself - pull off and check the terminals aren't corroded. If your car has a towbar fitted check the wiring to see that whoever wired up the trailer plug hasn't done a dodgy job.

Try our forum sponsor for the flasher unit - not sure if you can get them new but they may have some good secondhand ones. Failing that I think I may have a spare lying around somewhere.

The misfire should be pretty simple to fix, could be just plugs or failing that might be leads or distributor cap/rotor.
David
1967 W111 230S - Horizontblau
1965 W110 190c - Mittelrot
1963 W110 190c - Custom Wagon Conversion (work in progress)
1983 W123 280E - About as modern as I dare to go (rolling resto project)
+ other classics
CraigB
Mercedes Demigod

Post by CraigB »

Totally agree on earth thing. A shortcut I have used before to check you are on the right track is get a jumper lead, attach to a good earth and then touch on back of light etc and see if it makes a difference - just a quick way to check and then clean it all up as Dave said.
Craig Baulderstone
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL Ruby
300TE Otto
350SL Gloria
350SLC Lurch
450SEL Boris
500SEC's...including Syd
560SEL's Foufou and Zac
MilSurp
B Class

Post by MilSurp »

Although I don't know if the advice given here almost a year ago was successful, I'm also experiencing the same issue of not having any instrument lighting.

I'll use this info to see if I can fix it,... if not I'll be back asking for more help.

Cheers,
M.
1974 W114 280e
Giles
300 SL Gullwing
Region: Western Australia

Post by Giles »

MilSurp wrote:Although I don't know if the advice given here almost a year ago was successful, I'm also experiencing the same issue of not having any instrument lighting.

I'll use this info to see if I can fix it,... if not I'll be back asking for more help.

Cheers,
M.

No instrument lights is a common problem. Firstly, try some contact cleaner, if this doesn't work the bypass is the way to go as they're not that bright to worry about. I think the reason the rheostat fails is they never get used.

The indicator issue could either be a mismatched bulk or if not gently pull the flasher knob in and out numerous times. There may be some dirt trapped within. A new flasher may not be required.

Giles
1988 V126 560SEL Poida The King wears white
1981 C107 500SLC Lola. The Queen wears black
1989 V126 420SEL Shaun The Jack wears black
2007 X164 500GL James The Joker wears black

http://www.kudoscc.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/kudoscc?mibextid=LQQJ4d
Yarkwarrof13

Post by Yarkwarrof13 »

Hi everyone.

I too am having indiactor problems. Owner of a 280ce W114.

Front left indicator has blown 2 bulbs in 2 days.

Rear left indicator stays on solid.

Right pair are flickering v fast.

Any ideas? Hope any info could help with me and the original post
Thanks in advance
CraigB
Mercedes Demigod

Post by CraigB »

Fast flickering is usually another bulb in the indicator circuit is blown somewhere. Blowing the bulb I can only imagine being in the flasher unit somehow. Maybe some reason for power surging - alternator/regulator? The earthing of the lights is worth checking too, but unlikely to blow things i think.
Craig Baulderstone
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL Ruby
300TE Otto
350SL Gloria
350SLC Lurch
450SEL Boris
500SEC's...including Syd
560SEL's Foufou and Zac