Winters on, Hard tops on, Hoist building is on

Model 107 Specific Mods -
We seem to have a lot of posts around this particular model, I wonder why?!!???
AndrewsSL/SEL
Große
Model you own: w107

Winters on, Hard tops on, Hoist building is on

Post by AndrewsSL/SEL » Thu 07 Jun, 2007 12:06 am

The winter weather has started the design and construction of the hard top hoist for the garage in the new house.

It's designed on a similar, but I think slightly better version of the one found on this site here.
http://www.eztop.com/107.htm
But with the design slightly modified as the twisting action of the top when raised worries me a little. I also want to have a docking cradle for the hardtop to get locked into when left raised so there is no chance of it falling.

The lifting will require using an electric hoist with a modified winch from GMC for $85. It will also require modifying to run of 240v through a battery charger.
http://www.gmcompany.com.au/index.cfm?m ... ts&pid=416

As construction goes along I'll post some pics if you guys want.
Andrew

86 Diamond Blue 420SEL [That is being parted out and stripped for spares]
87 Red 190E 2.6 [Cossie Bodykit, R129SL 4pots/rotors, Bilstein/H&R suspension=GOKART]
87 White 300SL R107 Roadster [Which has sadly become a bit of a garage queen]
89 Nautical Blue 420SEL [The new Limo thats now the wife and sons daily driver with hot old Lorinser LO rims]
13 White Ford XR6 1 ton ute[The work ute]

AV
S Class

Re: Winters on, Hard tops on, Hoist building is on

Post by AV » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 12:16 am

AndrewsSL/SEL wrote: The lifting will require using an electric hoist with a modified winch from GMC for $85. It will also require modifying to run of 240v through a battery charger.
umm, what kind of battery charger do you have? According to the specs for the winch, it has in input power consumption of 240Watts which means from a 12V source it will draw 20 Amps !!!. I presume this must be under load (worst case) but you won't know until you test it.

What you may be better off doing is rigging it up from a battery with an ammeter (measuring current) and see what curent it draws. Then you can determine what type of mains source you need, i.e. 12V at a particular current capacity. Your typical Kmart 4 Amp charger won't cut it.

You may have problems with transient currents as well - i.e. when the winch starts and stops.This could blow fuses etc from a mains source. A car battrey is a low impedance source and can accomodate these transients easily. It depends if the winch has any input filtering etc.

Hard to tell without measurments, but don't risk the thing not working and/or falling with an indequate power source. I do find it odd though that the 12V plug provided and the associated wiring to the winch seems to be so lightweight for 20 Amps.

Happy to assist further if you need more info.

cheers,
AV
AV
350SL
450SLC

AndrewsSL/SEL
Große

Re: Winters on, Hard tops on, Hoist building is on

Post by AndrewsSL/SEL » Sun 24 Jun, 2007 12:13 am

AV wrote:
AndrewsSL/SEL wrote: The lifting will require using an electric hoist with a modified winch from GMC for $85. It will also require modifying to run of 240v through a battery charger.
umm, what kind of battery charger do you have? According to the specs for the winch, it has in input power consumption of 240Watts which means from a 12V source it will draw 20 Amps !!!. I presume this must be under load (worst case) but you won't know until you test it.

What you may be better off doing is rigging it up from a battery with an ammeter (measuring current) and see what curent it draws. Then you can determine what type of mains source you need, i.e. 12V at a particular current capacity. Your typical Kmart 4 Amp charger won't cut it.

You may have problems with transient currents as well - i.e. when the winch starts and stops.This could blow fuses etc from a mains source. A car battrey is a low impedance source and can accomodate these transients easily. It depends if the winch has any input filtering etc.

Hard to tell without measurments, but don't risk the thing not working and/or falling with an indequate power source. I do find it odd though that the 12V plug provided and the associated wiring to the winch seems to be so lightweight for 20 Amps.

Happy to assist further if you need more info.

cheers,
AV
Thanks for the offer of help.

I have handed the problem of the power supply to my father in law.
He's designed a curcuit to handle the power through an old HD battery charger after testing the unit. It seems to draws 8 Amps under load allowing for a weight of up to 80kgs.

The remote is also being modified to allow both raising and lowering of the hardtop.

Cheers
Andrew

87 Red 190E 2.6 [Cossie Bodykit, R129SL 4pots/rotors, Bilstein/H&R suspension=GOKART]
89 Nautical Blue 420SEL [The new Limo thats now the wife and sons daily driver with hot old Lorinser LO rims]

AV
S Class

Post by AV » Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:06 am

no problem - let us know how you get on or if there are any problems.

I am still using the "I'll get on one side and you get on the other and whatever you do don't drop it!!!" technique.

cheers,
AV
AV
350SL
450SLC

AndrewsSL/SEL
Große

Post by AndrewsSL/SEL » Thu 12 Jul, 2007 4:05 pm

Well the hardtop hoist is finally up and it works a treat.

The docking cradle points still have to be mounted on the timber bolted to the truss cords. It has a temporary safety backup of a ring spanner on the winch handle shaft stopping any chance of accidentally going down onto the SL's roof.

The black box under the charger has a relay switch and circuit board designed to reverse the polarity of the one way remote system on the winch. The remote control that came with the winch has been junked and a new one has been constructed which now has an raise and lower button. It also has a key switch so any little fingers cannot cause anything to be lowered giving a little extra security. The battery charger does the job converting 240V to 12V for the GMV winch which has also had it's ratchet system removed for the lowering process.

The cradle will have the brackets on the side pads shortened as the height was made to be adjustable, but this isn't required now that the optimum setting has been found. The longer bolts that stop the lifting points from swinging down will me replaced by a pin with a ball bearing on a spring. Unlike the versions requiring straps under the hardtop, this method using the wool pads on the plastic liner inside the roof, puts no load at all on the side window rubbers. The two other wool pads simply prevent movement of the hardtop when its held in the cradle. The black rod with the hook on the end around the cable moves the lifting point to the front so the cradle balances flat without the hardtop. With the hardtop on you simply remove the cable from the hook and the lifting point is moved further back to compensate for the rear weight bias, still remaining level. I will store the unit with the wool pads covered in plastic bags to prevent grit and therefore scratches. As the only pulleys we could find were of the lightweight sailing type we turned up the ones we have out of 80mm steel rod on a lathe and fitted bearings.

If anyone is interested I'll put together the design and measurements so it can be replicated.

Cheers
Last edited by AndrewsSL/SEL on Thu 12 Jul, 2007 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andrew

arkenstone
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w126

Post by arkenstone » Thu 12 Jul, 2007 4:32 pm

I have to see this thing in the flesh!
1989 420SEL
Des wrote:When the sun shines on that star and it gleems and shines bright in the sun it makes you feel just a little bit better off than everyone else.

AV
S Class

Post by AV » Sun 29 Jul, 2007 1:09 am

Excellent - well done.

Beats my poor attempts at manual handling. At the moment my roof stands upright iin the garage n front of the space where I park the car - so every time i creep in to park it, I have to be extra extra careful I don't go too far and crack the rear screen.

(I don't have anywhere else to put it at present, and it's a very tight fit for car and roof)

Good job!

AV
AV
350SL
450SLC

Return to “107 Mods”