Will 21 inch ML rims fit GLE350d.

1997- Present: ML320, ML430, ML55AMG, ML280CDI 4matic, ML320CDI 4matic, ML420CDI 4matic, ML350 4matic, ML500 4matic, ML63AMG 4matic, GL 320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550, GLK220CDI, GLK280, GLK350, GLK320CDI, GL350 CDI, GL400, GL500
robb443
Dernburg Wagon
Model you own: w164

Will 21 inch ML rims fit GLE350d.

Post by robb443 » Wed 14 Jun, 2017 10:23 pm

I'm new to the forum and new to M-B. I have recently purchased a GLE350d with Airmatic suspension for touring as well as towing a 6.5 metre caravan on some outback country trips. The GLE is fitted with 21 inch AMG rims and the specified low profile tyres. I have been looking on eBay for suitable replacement rims that might enable me to travel on dirt roads without having to worry about damage to the original rims and have discovered that second-hand ML rims are very reasonably priced, certainly a fraction of the cost of the AMG's. So my question is, will 20 or 21 inch ML (AMG) rims fit the GLE? And what should I look out for with such used rims? I'm not fussed about cosmetic damage to the replacement rims as I'm likely to put a few more scratches on them. I plan to retain the original rims and put them back on the car when I've finished caravanning. If the ML rims will fit, what tires would be recommended for some dirt road travel, but predominantly general bitumen-based travel? No serious four wheel driving issuing considered. Any advice would be appreciated.
Best regards,
Robb443.

Ivanerrol
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w204

Re: Will 21 inch ML rims fit GLE350d.

Post by Ivanerrol » Fri 16 Jun, 2017 8:02 pm

A.F.A.I.K. 21 inch wheel were only standard on the W166 ML's.

I would take a trip down to a stealership and see what wheels and tyre combo they have on cars without the AMG package wheels.

F.W.I.W. and F.Y.I. Overseas experience has shown that the GLC has a standard wheel and tyre combo that is too big for the car.
They crabwalk at slow speeds on full lock. Just to test it out, I took my mates new GLC out and tried this out. - Correct..... it does crabwalk.
The rumor mill overseas is that a mass litigation will be bought against MB to force them to replace the wheel and tyre combo with a smaller diameter.

If you are taking your vehicle out to the back of beyond I would ensure that you have a tyre size on that can be bought out in the middle of nowhere. - just in case.
Yours truly has been caught out by this very problem. :wave: :confused2:

In Europe MB AMG wheels with low profile tyres have been known to be damaged by potholes with resultant :blackeye: when having to fork out Big bucks for a replacement cracked wheel
W211 - E240
W204 - C280
W202 - C180
W210 - E240
Departed
W202 - C200
W202 - C180 - On consignment to nephew
W126 - 380SE , 380SE (Ex SA Import), 560SEL
W124 - 300e, 260e (ex Japan)
W111 220s (Indonesia) 4 speed manual column shift
W123 230
W116 450SEL
W140 420SEL
W210 E240
W209 CLK 240
W201 190e 2.6 (ex U.K.)

robb443
Dernburg Wagon
Model you own: w164

Re: Will 21 inch ML rims fit GLE350d.

Post by robb443 » Sat 17 Jun, 2017 4:56 pm

Thanks for your reply on two counts. I am new to M-B product so from your reference to the W166 designation, I would assume that the GLE also fits into the W166 category, as some id numbers such as chassis carry this reference. Firstly with regards to my GLE, because it has the Airmatic suspension, I have been told it it not possible to fit smaller wheels. Yet the spare wheel is 19 inch diameter. Maybe the shape of the space-saver is different to a full size alloy and accommodates the disc brake set-up or maybe the associated Airmatic components. I don't intend to go hard-core off-road, just the general tourist type dirt roads and I'll be taking it very careful as well, as you have pointed out the cost of a replacement can seriously hurt the hip pocket. The main reason for my query was the low price of ML and ML AMG rims on eBay, varying from $250 to $500 for a set of four with some scratches. Anyway, the set I was interested in has been withdrawn so that solves my problem for the time being. We traded a fantastic, 13 year old Landcruiser in on the GLE and in retrospect, should have kept the 'Cruiser for a few more years before trading up to the Merc. However, the GLE tows the van extremely well, except for some slight ride irregularities, which we'd never experienced with the Cruiser, probably because of the stabiliser bar set-up, which is not possible to incorporate with the GLE towbar arrangement and cannot be used in conjunction with the Airmatic suspension anyway. The primary reason we went with the GLE instead of another Landcruiser was much lower fuel consumption. And the Sahara version of the Cruiser cost more that the GLE, despite all the M-B extras on ours. My wife and I are both extremely happy with the new vehicle to date and love the drive experience.

Secondly, your comments on the GLC will be of interest to my son-in-law, with whom I was speaking only last night. He had complained to his local stealership about the steering shudder at full lock on his AMG but was told that this was normal and there was nothing wrong with his car. He said he is taking his complaint to M-B Australia and M-B Germany. So I will forward your comments onto him for further investigation regarding the US situation with possible class action litigation to come there. He is a lawyer himself and does not back away from a fight.

Thanks again for your response,
Best regards,
Robb443.

Return to “W163-166, X164-166 & X204-205 ML, GL, GLK / GLC / GLS Class SUV's”