Problem after problem

1997- Present: ML320, ML430, ML55AMG, ML280CDI 4matic, ML320CDI 4matic, ML420CDI 4matic, ML350 4matic, ML500 4matic, ML63AMG 4matic, GL 320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550, GLK220CDI, GLK280, GLK350, GLK320CDI, GL350 CDI, GL400, GL500
Post Reply
rossie11
C Class
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri 16 Dec, 2016 7:48 am
Model you own: w163

Problem after problem

Post by rossie11 » Fri 16 Dec, 2016 8:01 am

This my second W163 ML500. I previouesly had a ML 320 from 2000, with no issue and a lot more K,s on the clock. My current ML500 has just ticked over 145Kl and it seems that anything that could go wrong has.

Over the last month i have replaced, the water pump, PS pump and tank and now i have had some major cooling problems.
I went to replace the thermostat on the weekend and noticed that a small plastic inlet on the top left hand side of the radiator had broken off, who makes plastic parts for something that generates heat so much.

Anyway i had to get another radiator and install it. There was so much air inside the engine, it took about 45 mins to get it all out.

Ok a long story but my question is this, my 2004 W163 is a really great car to drive, i dont want to get rid of it, but how much longer will this go on for, I change the oil every 5000, just done the transmission fluid, again, put new discs and pads on i am lost as to what can go wrong next. I suppose i need somebody with a crystal ball to answer that question, but does anybody out there know, when, or what mileage, do these things generally happen to a benz.

Is it worth keeping or should i look for a good used X5.

User avatar
T-Modell
SLS AMG
Posts: 2581
Joined: Mon 10 Apr, 2006 1:47 am
Model you own: w107
Location: Weinheim / Germany
Contact:

Re: Problem after problem

Post by T-Modell » Fri 16 Dec, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi,

with an X5 you're in the same boat. What do you know of the history of your car? Don't forget, that it's nearly 13 years old and repairs are coming. Period. I'd save some money on the oil (I change mine every 20,000kms) for the future repairs.

Regards
Thomas
---------------------------------------------------------------
1967 W111 250SE Cabriolet, horizon blue
1973 W115 220D 5.0 Pick-Up Argentina, work in progress 2017/18
1986 R107 500SL, arctic white, the midlife crisis viagra replacement
2007 R171 SLK350, calcit white
2008 S211 E63T, calcit white, sleeper

mattml430b
C Class
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun 10 Jul, 2016 6:52 am
Model you own: w163

Re: Problem after problem

Post by mattml430b » Fri 16 Dec, 2016 6:15 pm

I agree with t modell steer clear of the BMW. Sounds like you've already done a view repairs so just slowly work through them in order of preference. The 500 is a great car so stick with if you can.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Ivanerrol
Mercedes Demigod
Posts: 5546
Joined: Sat 12 May, 2007 3:21 pm
Model you own: w204
Location: Melbourne

Re: Problem after problem

Post by Ivanerrol » Fri 16 Dec, 2016 7:00 pm

X5 story.

X5 owner runs his battery down even though there's an alarm on board that says - change battery.

Battery is discharged and all the ECU programming needs rebooting.

Changed battery but car will not start.
Car is towed to WMB stealership.

Car software must be reprogrammed and rebooted - on line to Germany.
Job must wait in line to get a slot for reprocess time by central IT in Germany.
Reprocess time slot is six weeks.
No car for six weeks just for letting the battery go flat. :banghead:

Hope things have changed since then.
W211 - E240
W204 - C280
W202 - C180
W210 - E240
Departed
W202 - C200
W202 - C180 - On consignment to nephew
W126 - 380SE , 380SE (Ex SA Import), 560SEL
W124 - 300e, 260e (ex Japan)
W111 220s (Indonesia) 4 speed manual column shift
W123 230
W116 450SEL
W140 420SEL
W210 E240
W209 CLK 240
W201 190e 2.6 (ex U.K.)

User avatar
T-Modell
SLS AMG
Posts: 2581
Joined: Mon 10 Apr, 2006 1:47 am
Model you own: w107
Location: Weinheim / Germany
Contact:

Re: Problem after problem

Post by T-Modell » Fri 16 Dec, 2016 7:09 pm

Ivanerrol wrote:...
Hope things have changed since then.
Definitely,

these days BMW's send ALL data permanently to the head quarters, where you are, where you drive, what you do with the car etc etc. This is not a joke, this is proven.

Maybe it takes 8 weeks then ...
Thomas
---------------------------------------------------------------
1967 W111 250SE Cabriolet, horizon blue
1973 W115 220D 5.0 Pick-Up Argentina, work in progress 2017/18
1986 R107 500SL, arctic white, the midlife crisis viagra replacement
2007 R171 SLK350, calcit white
2008 S211 E63T, calcit white, sleeper

User avatar
Ivanerrol
Mercedes Demigod
Posts: 5546
Joined: Sat 12 May, 2007 3:21 pm
Model you own: w204
Location: Melbourne

Re: Problem after problem

Post by Ivanerrol » Fri 16 Dec, 2016 7:50 pm

T-Modell wrote: Definitely, these days BMW's send ALL data permanently to the head quarters, where you are, where you drive, what you do with the car etc etc. This is not a joke, this is proven. Thomas
Your modern car is online irrespective of what marque.

Soon you will have targeted ads coming through your entertainment system - even addressing you by name.
W211 - E240
W204 - C280
W202 - C180
W210 - E240
Departed
W202 - C200
W202 - C180 - On consignment to nephew
W126 - 380SE , 380SE (Ex SA Import), 560SEL
W124 - 300e, 260e (ex Japan)
W111 220s (Indonesia) 4 speed manual column shift
W123 230
W116 450SEL
W140 420SEL
W210 E240
W209 CLK 240
W201 190e 2.6 (ex U.K.)

KimB
Große
Posts: 1490
Joined: Thu 20 Dec, 2007 5:57 pm
Model you own: w126
Location: Sydney

Re: Problem after problem

Post by KimB » Fri 16 Dec, 2016 10:15 pm

Good grief! I am so grateful I still drive a 30 year old car!

When I turn the radio on all I get is music! :laughing6:
W126 86 300SE Champagne
W126 84 380SEC Signal Red

rossie11
C Class
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri 16 Dec, 2016 7:48 am
Model you own: w163

Re: Problem after problem

Post by rossie11 » Sun 18 Dec, 2016 9:25 am

Thanks for the replies, but it doesnt really answer what i asked.

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Posts: 4760
Joined: Thu 23 Jun, 2005 2:18 pm
Model you own: I own multiple different models
Location: Hawthorndene (Adelaide)

Re: Problem after problem

Post by CraigB » Sun 18 Dec, 2016 3:52 pm

rossie11 wrote:
Is it worth keeping or should i look for a good used X5.
If this is the question you posed then i think the answer was don't get the X5 - or did i miss something. I don't know of anyone with the crystal ball you refer to but from things i hear and read i don't think it is like the old days when you could expect to get a set number of trouble free miles. Even cars in warranty people on here are complaining that the dealer can't fix properly. My plan is to stick with the older stuff but it is always tempting when these desirable later cars are so cheap.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

User avatar
T-Modell
SLS AMG
Posts: 2581
Joined: Mon 10 Apr, 2006 1:47 am
Model you own: w107
Location: Weinheim / Germany
Contact:

Re: Problem after problem

Post by T-Modell » Sun 18 Dec, 2016 6:45 pm

rossie11 wrote:Thanks for the replies, but it doesnt really answer what i asked.
??? I answered both questions, reading helps. X5 is the same and yes, with a 14 year old car there will be more problems. Same - in my opinion - also with older cars like W126.

But you didn't answer my question, how many kms? That could give a hint, if it's wear and tear because of the kms or just aging parts.
Thomas
---------------------------------------------------------------
1967 W111 250SE Cabriolet, horizon blue
1973 W115 220D 5.0 Pick-Up Argentina, work in progress 2017/18
1986 R107 500SL, arctic white, the midlife crisis viagra replacement
2007 R171 SLK350, calcit white
2008 S211 E63T, calcit white, sleeper

User avatar
Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Posts: 7927
Joined: Sun 11 Sep, 2005 9:01 pm
Model you own: w109
Location: Brissy
Contact:

Re: Problem after problem

Post by Mercmad » Fri 30 Dec, 2016 10:04 am

i worked with a guy who had a black 500 . It was traded for another which hadn't suffered as much abuse . His one was worn out although it hadn't many miles on it , the battery box for instance, had rotted out so badly the rain water would enter the cabin through holes eaten through the firewall.. I hope yours isn't black.

User avatar
brother benz68
Pagoda
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed 06 Mar, 2013 7:06 pm
Model you own: w201
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Problem after problem

Post by brother benz68 » Fri 30 Dec, 2016 10:13 pm

I had a used W163 2005 ML270 and paid good money for it to use as a daily and I ran it for a year and a half. I had to sort some problems along the way such as seat sensors and some kind of inlet manifold electronic flap thing, both costing big money at the main dealer. Every service costing heaps and the last straw was a service and checkup before taking off on a holiday with the main dealer giving me terrible news about replacing all diesel injectors which were leaking and each injector costing something like $500 each and the labour was unknown because they said it may have cavitated and seized. I had a second opinion from an independent workshop who agreed with the prognosis (without telling of the original report) and so I traded for....wait for it....Toyota Camry. Now I just concentrate on my classic Benzes. Only telling this story from my experience but if you are enthusiastic about the your car then it pays to keep it but for me it was my daily and didn't have time to work on it myself. My car was a diesel so isn't the same scenario.
W116 1979 280SEL Diamond Blue (sold)
W107 1980 450SLC Classic White (sold)
W126 1981 280SE Light Ivory (sold)
W108 1968 280S Beige Grey (sold)
W163 2005 Ml 270 CDI Brilliant Silver (sold)
W201 1991 180E manual. Arctic White - track car

rossie11
C Class
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri 16 Dec, 2016 7:48 am
Model you own: w163

Re: Problem after problem

Post by rossie11 » Sat 31 Dec, 2016 8:56 am

CraigB wrote:
rossie11 wrote:
Is it worth keeping or should i look for a good used X5.
If this is the question you posed then i think the answer was don't get the X5 - or did i miss something. I don't know of anyone with the crystal ball you refer to but from things i hear and read i don't think it is like the old days when you could expect to get a set number of trouble free miles. Even cars in warranty people on here are complaining that the dealer can't fix properly. My plan is to stick with the older stuff but it is always tempting when these desirable later cars are so cheap.
Maybe the X% was a bad thing to say, it seems people are hung up on them, perhaps i should have said a Landcruiser or Patrol. I was just trying to ask for some help.

User avatar
brother benz68
Pagoda
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed 06 Mar, 2013 7:06 pm
Model you own: w201
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Problem after problem

Post by brother benz68 » Sat 31 Dec, 2016 9:43 am

Maybe the X% was a bad thing to say, it seems people are hung up on them, perhaps i should have said a Landcruiser or Patrol. I was just trying to ask for some help
I like BMWs as well and wouldn't mind buying a E28 or E30 one day. I also like the look of the X5 but was unaware of the problems associated so I learnt something. If you need a reliable 4x4 you can't miss the Toyotas.
W116 1979 280SEL Diamond Blue (sold)
W107 1980 450SLC Classic White (sold)
W126 1981 280SE Light Ivory (sold)
W108 1968 280S Beige Grey (sold)
W163 2005 Ml 270 CDI Brilliant Silver (sold)
W201 1991 180E manual. Arctic White - track car

User avatar
Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Posts: 7927
Joined: Sun 11 Sep, 2005 9:01 pm
Model you own: w109
Location: Brissy
Contact:

Re: Problem after problem

Post by Mercmad » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 10:12 am

brother benz68 wrote:I had a used W163 2005 ML270 and paid good money for it to use as a daily and I ran it for a year and a half. I had to sort some problems along the way such as seat sensors and some kind of inlet manifold electronic flap thing, both costing big money at the main dealer. Every service costing heaps and the last straw was a service and checkup before taking off on a holiday with the main dealer giving me terrible news about replacing all diesel injectors which were leaking and each injector costing something like $500 each and the labour was unknown because they said it may have cavitated and seized. I had a second opinion from an independent workshop who agreed with the prognosis (without telling of the original report) and so I traded for....wait for it....Toyota Camry. Now I just concentrate on my classic Benzes. Only telling this story from my experience but if you are enthusiastic about the your car then it pays to keep it but for me it was my daily and didn't have time to work on it myself. My car was a diesel so isn't the same scenario.
if the injectors were leaking you would know it, it sounds like a steam engine . The injectors are very long lived but the copper seal rings under them aren't . The best best for you would have been to talk with an honest garage who would have resealed the leaky one with either the new mercedes seal rings or land rover ones which are thicker. The thicker ones are used where the head has been burnt by an owner driving too far with a noisy injector. The real nasty job is the glow plug change. Dealers will not quote on a glow plug swap because if the plug breaks off in place it means a new head. This doesn't happen with the injectors but they still require a special tool to get them out.

merc-304
250s
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat 09 Jul, 2016 3:55 pm
Model you own: w126
Location: North Coast NSW

Re: Problem after problem

Post by merc-304 » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 10:17 am

A very popular copper seal for Vito replacement is ones from the Honda 2.2 diesel .
Mercedes - Gen In. its from the U.K. and a great site.
Last edited by merc-304 on Sun 01 Jan, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
380 SEC

rossie11
C Class
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri 16 Dec, 2016 7:48 am
Model you own: w163

Re: Problem after problem

Post by rossie11 » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 10:53 am

merc-304 wrote:A very popular copper seal for Vito replacement is ones from the Honda 2.2 diesel .
Look a Benz is a great car when its working, when its not, unless you can fix it yourself, a mechanic will laugh all the way to the bank.

What will happen in Australia now, with all Fords and Holdens coming from Europe. The cars are imports so the parts will be dearer. When is somebody in this country going to stand up and do something about it. We are going to be a country of imported vehicles that are expensive to repair and they will use premium fuel because our 91 is the dirtiest in the world. This country is getting to expensive to live in, especially if you on the aged pension like i am.

User avatar
Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Posts: 7927
Joined: Sun 11 Sep, 2005 9:01 pm
Model you own: w109
Location: Brissy
Contact:

Re: Problem after problem

Post by Mercmad » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 2:28 pm

Or become like NZ where the vast majority are cars known as Jappas, used cars from japan where the huge variety of makes and models really tries the patience of most mechanics .

rossie11
C Class
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri 16 Dec, 2016 7:48 am
Model you own: w163

Re: Problem after problem

Post by rossie11 » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 3:46 pm

Mercmad wrote:Or become like NZ where the vast majority are cars known as Jappas, used cars from japan where the huge variety of makes and models really tries the patience of most mechanics .
How do you know that. From what ive seen in NZ most are Toyotas whos parts are available everywhere.

I know a number of mechanics who have come from NZ and they say its much better for them there as the cars they work on are far easier due to availability of parts.

User avatar
Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Posts: 7927
Joined: Sun 11 Sep, 2005 9:01 pm
Model you own: w109
Location: Brissy
Contact:

Re: Problem after problem

Post by Mercmad » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 5:37 pm

How do i know that ? i was born there and i'm related to huge chunk of the population,plus i served my time there and ran a workshop before coming to OZ. :laughing6: :laughing6: it came about when the labour party in a fit of sensibility saw that the Ford ,GM and Toyota car builders who were assembling cars in NZ were getting a free ride on the tax payer and basically screwing the population with a small range and high prices. They opened up the once closed import system told everyone that they could import whatever they wanted and so they did. Parts? NZ was always damned hard to find parts even back in the 70's so we often had to made do by swapping about bits and pieces . Perhaps the mechanics you talk too are new to Australia and not familiar with how the parts situation works here. i only deal with mercedes parts places so i can order in parts and have them here the same day or 3-4 days for bigger parts .It's a lot better than i remember , being although the internet has opened things up for everyone from NZ to OZ.

rossie11
C Class
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri 16 Dec, 2016 7:48 am
Model you own: w163

Re: Problem after problem

Post by rossie11 » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 6:22 pm

Mercmad wrote:How do i know that ? i was born there and i'm related to huge chunk of the population,plus i served my time there and ran a workshop before coming to OZ. :laughing6: :laughing6: it came about when the labour party in a fit of sensibility saw that the Ford ,GM and Toyota car builders who were assembling cars in NZ were getting a free ride on the tax payer and basically screwing the population with a small range and high prices. They opened up the once closed import system told everyone that they could import whatever they wanted and so they did. Parts? NZ was always damned hard to find parts even back in the 70's so we often had to made do by swapping about bits and pieces . Perhaps the mechanics you talk too are new to Australia and not familiar with how the parts situation works here. i only deal with mercedes parts places so i can order in parts and have them here the same day or 3-4 days for bigger parts .It's a lot better than i remember , being although the internet has opened things up for everyone from NZ to OZ.
At least you made the right move coming here. What is wrong with letting people import their own cars, it happens in euro all the time. Whats going to happen here when the so called big 3 fold up and run away, are we not going to be in the same boat. As i said before all future imported cars are going to need more expensive euro parts, its just common sense really, so why not let people get their own cars. As for parts for the Merc, i get them from the UK a hell of a lot cheaper than here AND it only takes about a week to get here.

User avatar
Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Posts: 7927
Joined: Sun 11 Sep, 2005 9:01 pm
Model you own: w109
Location: Brissy
Contact:

Re: Problem after problem

Post by Mercmad » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 9:20 pm

Good question, there has been zero comment from Canberra regarding the importation of cars now that Ford and GM have taken their bats and balls and headed home.

rossie11
C Class
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri 16 Dec, 2016 7:48 am
Model you own: w163

Re: Problem after problem

Post by rossie11 » Mon 02 Jan, 2017 6:53 pm

Mercmad wrote:Good question, there has been zero comment from Canberra regarding the importation of cars now that Ford and GM have taken their bats and balls and headed home.
I know people who had those really nice looking Vectras. One was the Oz made one, and the other the Euro one. The same car, but the parts were so different and expensive, on the Euro made car.

I also have to laugh at the Holden Astra as being the European car of the year, its a bloody Opel, why havent they been done for false advertising. And the main reason Opel left Oz, wasnt because the cars wouldnt sell, they were too bloody expensive to fix.

Post Reply

Return to “W163-166, X164-166 & X204-205 ML, GL, GLK / GLC / GLS Class SUV's”