Correct oil level checking procedure

1986-1995 : 200TD, 200CE, E200, 260E, 300E 2.6, 300E 2.8, 300E, E320, 400E, E420, 500E, E500, 300CE, E320, 230TE, 300TE, 300D 2.5 TURBO, E300 DIESEL, 300TD, 300E 4MATIC, 300TE 4MATIC, E36 AMG
dhaigh
C Class
Model you own: w124

Correct oil level checking procedure

Post by dhaigh » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 9:17 pm

If you are like me, when you check the oil level in your W124 you whiz down to the garage (level surface), pull the dipstick out and clean it, push it back in all the way and pull it out quickly again, and if necessary fill the engine to the MAX mark with the appropriate oil. Wrong....!
Looking through the Mercedes Maintenance sheets recently, I came across this advice issued by Mercedes in 1995 because too many owners were getting it wrong and over-filling the engine with oil.
Excess engine oil affects the engine`s drivability and performance, and may lead to engine damage. The MAX mark on the oil dipstick
must not be exceeded.

The advice bulletin from Mercedes states:
"Please remind your customers of the proper procedure for checking/correcting the engine oil level.
The engine should be at normal operating temperature (80 °C) and the vehicle parked on a level surface.
The engine must not have run for approx. 2 minutes, to allow the engine oil to drain into the oil pan. Then after removing and wiping off and reinserting the oil dipstick, allow the oil dipstick to remain fully inserted in the oil dipstick tube for a minimum of 3 seconds before rechecking the oil level again.
Ideally, the engine oil level should be around halfway between the MAX and MIN marks on the oil dipstick."

What I learned from that was it is important that the oil dipstick remain fully inserted in the oil dipstick tube for a minimum of 3 seconds before rechecking the oil level again. Removing the oil dipstick immediately after insertion, will result in an erroneous indication of the oil quantity within the engine. I had been told by a mechanic years ago that it was always a quick action with the dipstick....lesson learned!! Also, it's not necessary to always fill it to the MAX mark.
1988 300CE Coupe
Departed:
1989 300E
1990 MX5
1966 Ford Fairmont
1954 Healey BN1
1972 E-Type V12
etc
See my website: http://myclassiccars1967to2017.blogspot.com.au/ for the complete list!

John Green
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Correct oil level checking procedure

Post by John Green » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 6:44 pm

The engine should be at normal operating temperature (80 °C) and the vehicle parked on a level surface.
The engine must not have run for approx. 2 minutes, to allow the engine oil to drain into the oil pan. Then after removing and wiping off and reinserting the oil dipstick, allow the oil dipstick to remain fully inserted in the oil dipstick tube for a minimum of 3 seconds before rechecking the oil level again.
Yep, that's why the new modern crap boxes where you can check the oil level from the instrument cluster will not let you do it for two minutes after you switch it off. However, if you know your car well, you can check it on unlevel ground, just after you stopped it, etc. You just need a base line to work from. And my recommendation for remembering to check your oil. Do it each week after you have put the bins out.
M.B Spares & Service 14-16 Lyell St, Fyshwick ACT. Ph 02 6239 1099

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.

Return to “W124”