Cleaning baked on grime...

Paint & panel, Chrome, Wheels,Tyres and Exterior Trim.
will230
Pagoda
Model you own: I don't own one

Cleaning baked on grime...

Post by will230 » Sun 03 Aug, 2008 11:32 pm

In between the door and the car, where the hinges are and around, my car has some pretty hard to remove road grime...

What's the best way to remove this? I tried scrubbing it off, and both a heavy and fine cutting compound, but to no avail. Are there any particular products I should look for?

Also, what's good for removing the black marks on the door frame from the rubber seals?
Ford Falcon Forums
---- How do I stop people trying to hail me down late at night with a kebab in hand?

orangebuddha
C Class
Model you own: w123

Re: Cleaning baked on grime...

Post by orangebuddha » Tue 19 Aug, 2008 3:09 pm

I've never tried this, so can't really vouch for this, but when i changed my windscreen, the windscreen guy suggested using kerosene to clean both the road grime, and the rubbers.
Apparently this wont damage paintwork. I know he did use kero to cleanup after installation, and the paint was OK, so i guess its safe. But i would try it on an inconspicuous spot first.
Do not use metho, as this will damage paint.
1982 W123 230E
2012 W204 C200

AMG
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by AMG » Tue 19 Aug, 2008 3:25 pm

Prepsol.
apply with clean rag / brush etc to loosen wax & grease, rub gently, wipe off with clean rag. allow solvent to evaporate. protect paint again - apply polish / wax.
Current:
1987 560SL 4sp. auto Signalrot "Stella"
1987 190E 2.3-16 5sp. man. Blauschwarz "Hermann"
1992 300CE-24 6sp. man. Perlblau / Iceblau "Gretel"
1992 Range Rover Vogue SE 4sp auto Ardenne Green "Oswald"
2012 Renault Sport Megane RS265 Trophy 8:08 6 sp. man. Liquid Yellow "Jean Rédélé"
Previous:
1986 560SEL Anthracitgrau "Schultz" - In Mercedes Heaven
1987 190E 2.6 4sp. auto Signalrot "Sabine" - which now resides/owns Andrew M's Garage
1972 350SLC Astralsilber "Lurch" - now in the loving care of Craig B
1989 2.5-16 Blauschwarz 4sp. auto (parted) formerly owned by Derek/Hasan.

will230
Pagoda
Model you own: I don't own one

Post by will230 » Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:38 pm

Sounds like a plan.
Ford Falcon Forums
---- How do I stop people trying to hail me down late at night with a kebab in hand?

sneer
A Class
Model you own: w126

Post by sneer » Mon 05 Jan, 2009 10:00 pm

[quote="will230"]

What's the best way to remove this? I tried scrubbing it off, and both a heavy and fine cutting compound, but to no avail. Are there any particular products I should look for?
/quote]

just for others, I've found good solution for that, the white clay. It's like plasticine, it removes perfectly old dirt, tar, guano and so on, without scratching the paint. One portion is enough to clean 4-5 times the whole car body, it needs kneading every 2-3 minutes, however.
The manufacturer sells the clay in a set with quick detailer, but every liquid wax is OK, because it's only for slipping the clay on the paintwork.
Bartek Rybak
W124 300D 1990 525 kkm automatic
W126 420 SEL 1986 245 kkm automatic

Hendrik
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w124

Post by Hendrik » Sun 08 Feb, 2009 1:00 pm

sneer wrote: just for others, I've found good solution for that, the white clay. It's like plasticine, it removes perfectly old dirt, tar, guano and so on, without scratching the paint. One portion is enough to clean 4-5 times the whole car body, it needs kneading every 2-3 minutes, however.
The manufacturer sells the clay in a set with quick detailer, but every liquid wax is OK, because it's only for slipping the clay on the paintwork.
For those like me who only read instructions when all else fails, make sure to give the car a very good clean prior to using clay. As clay is designed to remove stuff that is not removed by traditional cleaners.
Make sure to use plenty of lubricant, otherwise the clay will get hot and get sticky sticky.
Far as cleaning goes, I find that using a bucket of water with quality car wash and using a fluffy towel to wipe off the excess works well. I can clean a car to a satisfactory standard using 3/4s of a bucket of water and no hose. If you want a super dooper job, use a waterless cleaning product such as http://www.meguiars.com.au/waterless.htm which can be bought in a 2 liter refill for ~30 bucks. 750mls will do ~3 cars and is also good for cleaning windscreens.

Dr Know
Pagoda
Model you own: w123

Post by Dr Know » Wed 02 Mar, 2011 11:35 pm

orangebuddha wrote:I've never tried this, so can't really vouch for this, but when i changed my windscreen, the windscreen guy suggested using kerosene to clean both the road grime, and the rubbers.
Apparently this wont damage paintwork. I know he did use kero to cleanup after installation, and the paint was OK, so i guess its safe. But i would try it on an inconspicuous spot first.
Do not use metho, as this will damage paint.
So Kero may work hey. Good to know. Might check out the prepsol to. In terms of impliments toothbrushes are useful at least initially to tend to rims, ledges and hard to reach areas. They also remove left over polish residue (wet it and do these areas prior to washing).
Is there life after 300E...?!

Current cars:
1983 300D Ivory White,Coffee MB-Tex, 171,598kms (Pure classic)
1988 300E Metallic Silver,Burgundy Leather,156,208kms (Legendary...)

Considering:
1980 450SEL 6.9 Black,Scarlet Leather OR Silver,Scarlet Leather
1991-1992 500SL Silver,Blue Leather OR Red,Tan Leather
1988 300CE Silver,Scarlet Leather OR Midnight Blue,Grey Leather
E63 AMG Black,Scarlet Leather
1990 300D White- for retirement so they can see me!

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB » Sat 05 Mar, 2011 11:35 pm

I have found POR 'marine clean' an easy and effective cleaner for greasy type grime. I am sure KBS or whoever is the equivalent will do something like that. Not even sure exactly what it is but dilute down with water and then I use a scourer gently or toothbrush to get it on, then rinse off with water and then have another go. Use it under the car too where build up grime is. Degreaser works fine but pretty stinky and horrible to use comparatively and probably doesn't work as well I reckon. I always used kero on bikes and my all alloy Alfa engine because it leaves an oily residue that helps protect it. But once again particularly if you use it in a engine wash gun you are going to stink of it until you put everything through the washer and the wife will probably have a grizzle too! Only really used prepsol just prior to painting but is interesting as a suggestion and will keep it in mind. Once you have the grime off I reckon a cutting compound will work fine on your black marks and everything.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Return to “Exterior”