Touch up paint

Paint & panel, Chrome, Wheels,Tyres and Exterior Trim.
chrishbbq
Pagoda
Model you own: w124

Touch up paint

Post by chrishbbq » Mon 24 Oct, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi guys,

I've noticed since losing my private parking spot and parking in a shopping centre, my 210 has a number of dings from inconsiderate drongos opening their doors into my doors. A few spots have lost their paint, and I have a shopping trolley scratch which I am hoping will buff out. I'm just wondering if you can give me any tips on using touch up paint to get a decent result and not look overdone. I will be getting the paint matched by the paint code from a reputable repair shop. The car is Smoked Silver (702 I believe). I tried it once on my old Honda in a dark pearl green and you could definitely see where it was applied. Failing this I'll have to go to a crash shop and pay through the teeth (small business doesn't allow this right now). Any tips are appreciated. What really bugs me is the car was 100% mint until now. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 W210 E280 Elegance in Smoke Silver~

kimrh
Große
Model you own: w126

Re: Touch up paint

Post by kimrh » Tue 25 Oct, 2016 11:34 am

It is a metallic paint so difficult to just paint a patch and get it blended in - but give it a go as you have nothing to loose.
Only buy from retail paint shop that mixes the required paint code into U-Pol brand cans using high quality paint - they are pressurised at a higher rate and the nozzle sprays wide simulating a gun - so these particular cans a brilliant for touch up jobs - the rest are rubbish as in your local super-cheap etc who mix paint - it is cheap nasty stuff.

You will need some light finishing filler and U-pol primer (appropriate primer colour for the silver - which would be grey primer)
You will also need the U-pol clear-coat to seal in the base colour
If you have done some patch repair work before then you know the drill - clean and prep an area wider than the patch to allow blending and don't mask anywhere close to the patch on the panel otherwise you will end up with a line where the masking tape was.
Easier to just mask off any trim and the surrounding doors/glass etc and then the blending will work into the whole door naturally and when you wet sand with 2,000 paper and then cut and polish and finally buff any over-spray on the panel will come off the original clear.
Once painted leave it for at least a week before you start any wet sanding/buffing and polishing

You will end up with a decent job
Just make sure the paint shop checks the colour of the paint on your car with their strip samples or machine as often there are variants of the actual colour like variant 1 / variant 2 / variant 3 etc so they have to match up with the exact colour on your car.
Y-tube is great for watching repair tips in action
Last edited by kimrh on Tue 25 Oct, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
87 White Euro 500SEC "ECE" 195kw
88 Black Euro 560SEC 220kw
89 Midnight Blue Euro 560SEL hydro 220kw AMG Kitted
http://www.flickr.com/photos/krh2013/sets/72157632548663623/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/krh2013/albums/72157668572599252

chrishbbq
Pagoda
Model you own: w124

Re: Touch up paint

Post by chrishbbq » Tue 25 Oct, 2016 4:23 pm

@kimrh - thanks for that mate, you are totally right. I'm waiting to hear back from a contact who has done some panel and paint work for me in the past and made it look like 100% factory. Not something I want to attempt in worry if stuffing up even further!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 W210 E280 Elegance in Smoke Silver~

Return to “Exterior”