Detailing an S350 W221 in Obsidian Black

Paint & panel, Chrome, Wheels,Tyres and Exterior Trim.
vivant511
C Class
Model you own: w204

Detailing an S350 W221 in Obsidian Black

Post by vivant511 » Fri 30 May, 2014 1:38 pm

This is my in-laws 2007 MB S350 I detailed in Singapore last year. It has an original AMG Sports 2010 body kit and AMG 19 inch wheels wrapped in Michelin PS3.

This detail was a challenging task as I didn’t get to bring everything I needed such as lighting, car wash and drying cloths due to the weight restriction whilst travelling. What I did get to bring along was some bare essentials like my dual action polisher, hand held LED torch to check my work, a few pads and polish.

The high humidity and heat in Singapore made it just that little bit more of a challenge as its an environment not typical of Melbourne weather, so I didn’t know how the combos of polish and pads I’d chosen would react. In the end, this is the process followed:

• Wheels decontaminated with Sonax Extreme Wheel Cleaner. Very good product and my go-to wheel cleaner as its cheaper than CarPro Iron X but performs the same and doesn't smell as bad
• Single bucket wash with microfibre sponge, unknown brand car wash and dish washing liquid (I wasn’t too fuss with 2 buckets as firstly I only found one around the house, and secondly any scratches I inflicted was all going to be corrected out anyway)
• Clayed using Megs Quick detailer and Wilsson Clay
• Lake Country purple wool and Menzerna FG500 (tried with LC yellow cutting pad first but it quite didn’t cut it…lol…pun intended)
• Refined with LC white pad and Menzerna PF2500
• CarPro Eraser wipe down to remove any polishing oils on the paintwork. This product is an alternative to using panel wipe or IPA

The paint was entirely covered with water spots and medium swirling. Being a tropical country, some months rain very heavily but then dries up very quickly and so within a few months becomes like this again unless properly sealed. Also, being a newer Benz with Ceramiclear it was incredibly hard and took a few passes on purple wool to correct decently.
Glass was also badly etched, but I didn’t get to bring my Ceriglass glass polish and rayon disc. Oh well, excuse for the next trip.

Finished wheel and lightly coated tyre after learning from first wheel which was too shiny:

Contamination from rear bumper only:

From one side door, the rest of the car was like this. A thing to note is that I clayed and waxed this car 6 months ago.

I used Soft99 Triz as paint sealant, but the application being quite straight forward, I was skeptical whether it really did anything! Basically, whilst the car is still wet, you simply spray on the product and spread with the supplied sponge it the box! No curing needed, just wipe dry and you’re done.

The beef I have with this product is that it makes water sheet off rather bead off, so it mentally feels as though it really didn’t do anything, like it was still bare without any protection. I dunno, still not convinced.

As LSP, I used Soft99 Premium Authentic, which is applied Miyagi style - wipe on with spritz of water and damp applicator pad then wipe off. So being quite large panels, I did half a panel at a time. Any more and it was quite difficult to remove as the wax cures very quickly.

Final Front Passenger door after Premium Authentic coat:

Boot lid:

The next day I thought I’d try out another wax to top up with using Soft99 King of Gloss.
Oh.My.Friggin.Gawd.
Instantly, I was won over with the amount of glass-like reflection of this wax. Even though it’s completely synthetic it does give a wetness not expected. It’s been a while since I’ve tried a product and so easily convinced. Being a detailer by trade I try A LOT of products.

Dodgy Ipad pics after King of Gloss:

Semi-dodgy Iphone pics after King of Gloss:

It was very easy to apply and went a loooong way, and easier to polish off than Premium Authentic also.

Tires I sealed with Soft99 Pure Shine. Unlike what the box says, this thing has bling-tastic gloss but I do like sponges supplied making it very easy to dress evenly. Over a few days the gloss does dull back to a light sheen, and quite water repellent. Happy with it as it eventually gave me the finish I was after.

I applied Rain-X anti-fog as most cars get misty from the constant air-con. It works, but very smeary no matter how little product I use or follow up with a clean MF. So ended up cleaning all the windows with Sonax glass cleaner.

All up this detail took 11 hours. I wish I could've spent more time and coated this car instead (opposed to using waxes and sealants) but I was on family holidays so had plenty of commitments lined up.

Thanks for having a look through :)
2012 C250 Coupe

Hendrik
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w124

Re: Detailing an S350 W221 in Obsidian Black

Post by Hendrik » Sat 31 May, 2014 10:56 am

Great write up, always amazes me how much effort is required to do a proper job.
Makes me and my bucket of foamy suds look very ordinary.

Starman
540 K
Model you own: w211

Post by Starman » Sat 31 May, 2014 12:07 pm

Great write up. a bucket of suds is just as good if applied every fortnight haha
W212 E400 Avantgarde
W211 E500 Elegance sold
W202 C200 "the Tank" sold

Hendrik
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w124

Post by Hendrik » Sat 31 May, 2014 1:00 pm

Starman wrote:Great write up. a bucket of suds is just as good if applied every fortnight haha
Actually the clay bar does a good job but my paint is too far gone to be worth claying up.

vivant511
C Class

Post by vivant511 » Sun 01 Jun, 2014 1:56 am

Thanks Hendrik and Starman! I'm a firm believer of washing with two buckets and microfibre wash mediums. The safer your washing and drying methods, the longer your paintwork will look great in my opinion.

I love detailing and find it therapeutic (most of the time)
2012 C250 Coupe

tips
500 K
Model you own: w163

Post by tips » Sun 01 Jun, 2014 9:42 am

Vivant,
Your comment re the synthetic and wet look finish.
Instantly, I was won over with the amount of glass-like reflection of this wax. Even though it’s completely synthetic it does give a wetness not expected.R

I was using a high synthetic and low level of carnauba wax and found that I had a much better wet look mirror finish on our obsidian black 163 than hi get now with pinnacle which has a much higher level of carnauba wax. Is this your general experience or is it more product/brand specific?
Steven
W163 ML350 - RIP
W166 ML350 - SOLD
Flirting with other Germans until the right coupe comes up

vivant511
C Class

Post by vivant511 » Mon 02 Jun, 2014 9:58 am

Hi Steven,

My comment was more brand specific to King of Gloss although I've found obsidian black to look great with a number of different forms of protection including coatings.

I love Pinnacle Souveran, especially on reds, yellows and dark blues. I haven't tried on my own car yet which is also in obsidian black but now very curious to do so as it's always a great looking and easy to use wax.

Anthony
2012 C250 Coupe

AMG
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by AMG » Mon 02 Jun, 2014 12:03 pm

If only Signal red wasn't so prone to oxidation....
Current:
1987 560SL 4sp. auto Signalrot "Stella"
1987 190E 2.3-16 5sp. man. Blauschwarz "Hermann"
1992 300CE-24 6sp. man. Perlblau / Iceblau "Gretel"
1992 Range Rover Vogue SE 4sp auto Ardenne Green "Oswald"
2012 Renault Sport Megane RS265 Trophy 8:08 6 sp. man. Liquid Yellow "Jean Rédélé"
Previous:
1986 560SEL Anthracitgrau "Schultz" - In Mercedes Heaven
1987 190E 2.6 4sp. auto Signalrot "Sabine" - which now resides/owns Andrew M's Garage
1972 350SLC Astralsilber "Lurch" - now in the loving care of Craig B
1989 2.5-16 Blauschwarz 4sp. auto (parted) formerly owned by Derek/Hasan.

vivant511
C Class

Post by vivant511 » Mon 02 Jun, 2014 12:06 pm

Could be worse, like Honda paint; you sneeze on it and it scratches.
2012 C250 Coupe

mickhoog
Dernburg Wagon
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by mickhoog » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 8:47 pm

What an amazing job you have done for your inlaws.

What do you mean by claying a car?

I have a 2014 SLK and M Class and I just wash with water, truck wash, karcher, chamois and dry. I"m interested in learning what to really do.

vivant511
C Class

Post by vivant511 » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 1:09 pm

A clay bar is used to remove bonded contaminants on your paintwork which couldn't be removed during the wash process. These contaminants make your paint surface rough to touch and rob the car from its gloss.

Running a clay bar lifts those contaminants and is the secret to extracting really good reflections. You can see from one of the photos of how much gunk is lifted off the car.

I suggest that you should change your truck wash for a gentler pH neutral wash as the truck wash will strip off your wax or sealant and leave the paint unprotected. Unless the car is coated (paint protection coating) which has a good amount of chemical resistance, something like Meguiars Glod Class is a popular choice and easy to find.

I would swap out the chamois for a microfibre drying towel. likewise if you're using a sponge to wash with, swap that out for a microfibre wash mitt. Both are gentler on paintwork and prevent introducing wash marring and swirls. :)
2012 C250 Coupe

MR300TD
M-100
Model you own: w123

Post by MR300TD » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 9:55 pm

vivant511 wrote:This is my in-laws 2007 MB S350 I detailed in Singapore last year. It has an original AMG Sports 2010 body kit and AMG 19 inch wheels wrapped in Michelin PS3.

This detail was a challenging task as I didn’t get to bring everything I needed such as lighting, car wash and drying cloths due to the weight restriction whilst travelling. What I did get to bring along was some bare essentials like my dual action polisher, hand held LED torch to check my work, a few pads and polish.

The high humidity and heat in Singapore made it just that little bit more of a challenge as its an environment not typical of Melbourne weather, so I didn’t know how the combos of polish and pads I’d chosen would react. In the end, this is the process followed:

• Wheels decontaminated with Sonax Extreme Wheel Cleaner. Very good product and my go-to wheel cleaner as its cheaper than CarPro Iron X but performs the same and doesn't smell as bad
• Single bucket wash with microfibre sponge, unknown brand car wash and dish washing liquid (I wasn’t too fuss with 2 buckets as firstly I only found one around the house, and secondly any scratches I inflicted was all going to be corrected out anyway)
• Clayed using Megs Quick detailer and Wilsson Clay
• Lake Country purple wool and Menzerna FG500 (tried with LC yellow cutting pad first but it quite didn’t cut it…lol…pun intended)
• Refined with LC white pad and Menzerna PF2500
• CarPro Eraser wipe down to remove any polishing oils on the paintwork. This product is an alternative to using panel wipe or IPA

The paint was entirely covered with water spots and medium swirling. Being a tropical country, some months rain very heavily but then dries up very quickly and so within a few months becomes like this again unless properly sealed. Also, being a newer Benz with Ceramiclear it was incredibly hard and took a few passes on purple wool to correct decently.
Glass was also badly etched, but I didn’t get to bring my Ceriglass glass polish and rayon disc. Oh well, excuse for the next trip.

Finished wheel and lightly coated tyre after learning from first wheel which was too shiny:

Contamination from rear bumper only:

From one side door, the rest of the car was like this. A thing to note is that I clayed and waxed this car 6 months ago.

I used Soft99 Triz as paint sealant, but the application being quite straight forward, I was skeptical whether it really did anything! Basically, whilst the car is still wet, you simply spray on the product and spread with the supplied sponge it the box! No curing needed, just wipe dry and you’re done.

The beef I have with this product is that it makes water sheet off rather bead off, so it mentally feels as though it really didn’t do anything, like it was still bare without any protection. I dunno, still not convinced.

As LSP, I used Soft99 Premium Authentic, which is applied Miyagi style - wipe on with spritz of water and damp applicator pad then wipe off. So being quite large panels, I did half a panel at a time. Any more and it was quite difficult to remove as the wax cures very quickly.

Final Front Passenger door after Premium Authentic coat:

Boot lid:

The next day I thought I’d try out another wax to top up with using Soft99 King of Gloss.
Oh.My.Friggin.Gawd.
Instantly, I was won over with the amount of glass-like reflection of this wax. Even though it’s completely synthetic it does give a wetness not expected. It’s been a while since I’ve tried a product and so easily convinced. Being a detailer by trade I try A LOT of products.

Dodgy Ipad pics after King of Gloss:

Semi-dodgy Iphone pics after King of Gloss:

It was very easy to apply and went a loooong way, and easier to polish off than Premium Authentic also.

Tires I sealed with Soft99 Pure Shine. Unlike what the box says, this thing has bling-tastic gloss but I do like sponges supplied making it very easy to dress evenly. Over a few days the gloss does dull back to a light sheen, and quite water repellent. Happy with it as it eventually gave me the finish I was after.

I applied Rain-X anti-fog as most cars get misty from the constant air-con. It works, but very smeary no matter how little product I use or follow up with a clean MF. So ended up cleaning all the windows with Sonax glass cleaner.

All up this detail took 11 hours. I wish I could've spent more time and coated this car instead (opposed to using waxes and sealants) but I was on family holidays so had plenty of commitments lined up.

Thanks for having a look through :)
Well done, the detailing bug is an addictive one. :occasion5:

ps did you tell them how to correctly maintain the finish?
1980 W123 300TD - Auto - 526000 kms and getting better everyday.. (AUS)
1985 w123 230TE - Auto - 486300 kms, Saved by Me (Aus) (now sold)

1985 W123 300TD - Auto - The one I had to leave behind... (Sold UK)
1983 W123 300TD - 5 Speed Manual + every extra under the sun ... (Sold UK)
1983 W123 230TE - Auto - The parts car... (Sold UK)
1983 W123 230TE - Auto - My first W123 (Sold UK)

vivant511
C Class

Post by vivant511 » Tue 10 Jun, 2014 11:22 am

Thanks MR300TD, that bug sure does bite hard!

Yes, I did advise how to properly maintain the car after all the hard work. But, in Singapore it's very common to have a live-in helper to assist with the house chores, including washing the car. Unfortunately with a change in helpers some time after the detail the instructions weren't passed on, so it was regularly wiped down with a chamois and inflicted those nasty swirls back into the paint again. Sigh.... :banghead:
2012 C250 Coupe

Return to “Exterior”