Can't open bonnet

1976-1985: 230T, 230E, 230TE, 230CE, 280E, 280TE, 280CE, 240D, 300D, 300CD, 300TD,
stumpjumper
Finnie
Model you own: w123

Can't open bonnet

Post by stumpjumper » Sun 24 Dec, 2017 10:46 am

Yesterday, the bonnet release in the passenger footwell seemed to fail. It feels as though it is now permanently 'open', but the grey plastic thing has not come out of the grille.

How do I get into the engine bay? Can the bonnet cable or mechanism be reached from under the car? I can put it on a hoist.

Any suggestionx?
W123 1985 230E - thistle green metallic/Palomino leather! - driver
W109 1971 300SEL - Arctic white/tan - gone to a good home
W123 1984 230E -,champagne metallic/Palomino - dismembered

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Re: Can't open bonnet

Post by CraigB » Sun 24 Dec, 2017 1:27 pm

When you push the lever back, is the cable outer also going back? Just wondering if it is a little stretched and by pulling back on the outer can you get it to pop. Another trick is if somoene else just pushes down a little on the bonnet it may make it easier to pull on the lever, esp if trying to hold the outer etc. I reckon it will be pretty hard to access from underneath as you suggest.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

stumpjumper
Finnie

Post by stumpjumper » Sun 24 Dec, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks Craig. I'll try your suggestions. I should have greased the whole thing last time I worked on it.

stumpjumper
Finnie

Post by stumpjumper » Sun 24 Dec, 2017 2:54 pm

Found on Benzworld:

Aah, that's not too difficult. I talk from experience, my cable was stuck, and instead of replacing it immediately, I went about opening the hood quite a while without it. I have a new one, by the way .

Here's what to do: get the largest and longest flathead screwdriver that you can fit between the grille's louvers. Now, get on your haunches with a flashlight, and shine it up and into the area where the latching mechanism is. You should see the spring actuated mechanism. What you need to do now, is to insert the screwdriver so that it pushes against this spring mechanism (make sure you insert the screwdriver so that it pushes against the flat 'platform', not against the spring coils - as I've shown in the photo), and then with all your might push the screwdriver so that you compress the spring, while at the same time pulling the hood upwards in order to unlatch it.

I know a biut more about the whole mechansim now. I'm going to try a few of these tricks, including spraying WD40 into what I can reach of the latch. it really needs grease, but WD40 might help.

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB » Sun 24 Dec, 2017 3:45 pm

yep wd40 will help get it moving if it is tight and seized up a bit and can grease it after its open. I'm just guessing it has been getting stiffer and there comes a point when it stretches things to the point when it can't quite release it. Pressing down a little while someone pulls on the lever can just take that pressure off that lever and allow it to pull it far enough. But the screwdriver thing sounds good.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

stumpjumper
Finnie

Post by stumpjumper » Sun 24 Dec, 2017 7:02 pm

You are exactly right, Dr Craig! The lever has been getting stiffer, and I dint think to grease the mechanism. The wire had stretched almost to the point of not working, but I wiggled the lever at full stretch a bit and bingo. You know your stuff.

I've adjusted the cable and greased everything. It now works perfectly.

The condition of the engine bay made me decide to borrow a friend's Kartcher steam cleaner and give the whole thing a good clean. Then a bonnet mat would be nice. There's nothing there at the moment.

mathuisella
Adenauer

Post by mathuisella » Sun 24 Dec, 2017 8:08 pm

stumpjumper wrote:
Sun 24 Dec, 2017 7:02 pm
You are exactly right, Dr Craig! The lever has been getting stiffer, and I dint think to grease the mechanism. The wire had stretched almost to the point of not working, but I wiggled the lever at full stretch a bit and bingo. You know your stuff.

I've adjusted the cable and greased everything. It now works perfectly.

The condition of the engine bay made me decide to borrow a friend's Kartcher steam cleaner and give the whole thing a good clean. Then a bonnet mat would be nice. There's nothing there at the moment.
Glad to hear you got it sorted :)

Could i bother you for a picture or two of your work ?

I think lubricating the bonnet cable would be good in mine, but i'm not clear on it's location and how to go about it. Also with the steam cleaner, did you do the underside of the bonnet ? i need to do mine and have been considering different ways to clean it, would love a picture or two if you could.

Cheers

Thank you :)

stumpjumper
Finnie

Post by stumpjumper » Sun 31 Dec, 2017 5:49 pm

I'll take some photos soon and post them. For your information, the cable starts at the opening lever in the passenger footwell. That's easily exposed by removing the plastic panel above the passenger's shins. The cable then winds its way around the passenger side if the engine bay to an adjustment mechanism next to the spring and latch in front of the radiator. That was easy to get to in my car, an '85 model. Earlier cars may have a plastic panel covering the last section. I lubticated the footwell lever mechanism, and the latch and spring area.

I didn't go nuts on the Bowden cable as I used to when I was doing up old motorbikes. When I was at school I read that the Isle of Man TT racers removed their Bowden cables and filled them with hot grease before pushing the centre wire back though them. Naturally, I did the same on my 'racing' ex police BSA Thunderbolt. The things you do. I recall taking the head off our lawnmower and decoking it for better performance, too.

Return to “W123”