fog light enforcement

Content NOT RELATED to the Forum. If you have other non-mercedes content to discuss, this is where to do it.
CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

fog light enforcement

Post by CraigB » Thu 21 Sep, 2017 12:26 pm

I just picked this up on another forum:

" Just heard on the radio, the police here are targeting incorrect use of fog lights. They're dazzling other drivers, apparently." - I think later the thread says it was SAPOL

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/general-chat ... ights.html

More and more recently i find myself feeling like i am on a stage in a production with the interior of my car lit up from a car behind. Often very new cars, LED lights no doubt but i am sure they are out of adjustment or something. I remember when i worked in the UK I could accidentally knock my rear fog light on (which I thought was pretty pathetic output anyway, brighter red light) but i would soon know about it because just about every car behind you would angrily flash their lights. So definitely etiquette in the UK to only use in fog. Then when i returned here, with more of our cars having them, it amazed me how many people had them on and i thought maybe they didn't realise. Then i read in that post that people have the attitude that they don't care if it bothers others, the brighter they are the easier they are seen.

Anyway, just interested what others thought. I've never hit anything in the dark, including cars that i would have avoided with brighter lights, certainly not in suburbia. Almost every time i drive at night now it is an unpleasant experience at some point - I can dip my central mirror but i am still getting flashed in the eyes by the side mirrors - might have to take the Defender instead and get up a bit higher!
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Ivanerrol
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w204

Re: fog light enforcement

Post by Ivanerrol » Thu 21 Sep, 2017 12:29 pm

The lower "fog" lights on my W204 run as "daylight running lights"
I hope I don't get picked up. - it maybe embarrassment.
W211 - E240
W204 - C280
W210 - E240
Departed
W202 - C200, C180, C180
W126 - 380SE , 380SE (Ex SA Import), 560SEL
W124 - 300e, 260e (ex Japan)
W111 220s (Indonesia) 4 speed manual column shift
W123 230
W116 450SEL
W140 420SEL
W210 E240
W209 CLK 240
W201 190e 2.6 (ex U.K.)

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Thu 21 Sep, 2017 12:33 pm

I think someone in that thread has defined that daytime running lights have something like a 25w max and light beam doesn't dazzle? They seemed to be quoting something legal and seemed to know what they were talking about! I guess the copper can pretty quickly tell if it is dazzling or not.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

AMGC36
E Class
Model you own: w202

Post by AMGC36 » Thu 21 Sep, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi
Not Before Time
Fog Lights can be turned on or off at any time when the lights are on , daytime running lights come on and off with the ignition and can not be turned off
Cheers Stefan
1995 W202 AMG C36
Rexton 2.9 with Dieselmeken super pump on WVO

brothermaynard
Dernburg Wagon

Post by brothermaynard » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 12:36 pm

As a Euro import myself this definitely seems like an Australian cultural thing to me. Back in the Netherlands only the 'pretend race car drivers' in their late teens driving hot hatches drive around with their fog lights on.

Here it sometimes seems there are two options: A. Never turn your lights on even if it's dark and rainy, or B. Turn all your lights on 'because you can and it looks good'. Obviously not actually true but it does baffle me how many cars with either no lights or driving lights + fog lights i see rolling around Melbourne.

The added glare from fog lights is pretty annoying to me - especially in rain with a wet windscreen or helmet visor. Are beam patterns and headlight angle adjustments not covered in AUS driving theory?

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 3:41 pm

I thought all these out of adjustment headlights might be a SA thing - the land of no vehicle checks. I thought that would be part of annual 'MOT' type checks to check headlight alignment. The interesting ones are those with vac adjustable lights like a benz and you can see them bouncing in your rear view mirror and doesn't cross the mind of the driver that they have a problem they need to get checked out!
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

DBW124
250s
Model you own: w124

Post by DBW124 » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 5:52 pm

I have often seen people driving down poorly lit section of freeway with only their fog lights on, illuminating the road barely a couple of meters ahead. I think in most situations it's not fog lights causing the problem. More likely is poorly aimed dipped beam headlights, or morons who don't know and/or care what the blue light on their instrument panel means.

When I first drove my W124 the headlights were shockingly bad. Most of which had to do with how poorly aimed they were, despite it's pre-purchase (NSW) roadworthy.

Whenever I complain about how poorly aimed the headlights are when driving vehicles in our fleet, I get fobbed off with "they all get checked on a regular basis".

If someone is not driving erratically, or travelling at 20ks over the speed limit, I think most police wouldn't bother. Plus it's not like some of them are fully aware what the road rules are, as in;

1) Which white line you're supposed to stop behind at a set of traffic lights.

2) The "Give Way" sign on the rear of metropolitan route service buses (OK, vested interest here), that applies at speeds of 60kph and below
W124 E 280

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 9:28 pm

That's funny - last night i was sitting at the traffic lights getting 'illuminated' by a metro bus behind me and thinking "even these guys who much have to check safety all the time can't get it right!"

Interesting the comment about giving way too - I see it all the time - if people had the mindset of what would it be like to be in that bus drivers shoes as opposed to only thinking about themselves and that they might get there one vehicle sooner! If you just pulled out and hit them, would they be in the wrong?

I know what you mean with fog lights aiming low, but often they get knocked I reckon and that's when they get you. So I would say its all lights out of adjustment that's the problem and its not that hard to get right. I guess my Benzes with adjustable light height also have sls and i never find myself adjusting. On the other hand depending whats in the back of our Pug wagon I can pick it when the road signs are picking up the lights or seeing it light up the interior of the car in front and you just adjust it down with the wheel on the dash. But once again its is thinking about what it is like for the other person and I don't think that many people think that way.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w109

Post by Mercmad » Wed 01 Nov, 2017 8:54 am

Years ago I bitched about this. As the new Bangle BNMWs came on the market it got worse. With the xenon lights, the whole light dips down and up as the vehicles attitude changes. So it looks like some idiot flashing HI beams at the opposing traffic .So on bumpy suburban streets you have a parade of 2002 onwards cars flashing everyone. To counter this, our then labor government made it illegal to drive with driving lights or fog lights on in town . There was this thinking that it looked cool to drive with all lights blazing....in town. We don't get many foggy days here ,maybe 4 this year so they aren't needed anyway. But using driving lights, 100-200 watts and now strip LED units in any 50 or 60 k zone is just being sociopathic. And I cannot remember the last time I had my headlight aiming checked by a vehicle inspector .

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin

Post by CraigB » Wed 01 Nov, 2017 10:04 am

That explains all these bobbing headlights I see. When i first got my 560 it had a leak in a joiner to the headlights vacuum and that had them bobbing. With all the bobbing i had seen i thought surely they haven't all got stuffed vacuum. That seems crazy to design a car with headlights that bob up and down and flash oncoming traffic or the car infront.... but what do i know!
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Return to “Off-Topic / Unrelated Chat”