Peter Wherrett - Torque / Marque

Content NOT RELATED to the Forum. If you have other non-mercedes content to discuss, this is where to do it.
brother benz68
Pagoda

Peter Wherrett - Torque / Marque

Post by brother benz68 » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 7:08 am

OK we've heard of Peter's alternative life style in his final years, but he was fine journalist when it came to cars and road safety and his programs were entertaining to the point of not needing to blow up a Morris Marina or caravan. Have a look at some videos on YouTube....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDnE5exFcAs

brother benz68
Pagoda

Re: Peter Wherrett - Torque / Marque

Post by brother benz68 » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 8:27 am

In this episode of Marque, there are a couple of fantastic Merc's and maybe someone knows where these cars are today.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HXroOw9PJc

Bartman4800
300 SLR
Model you own: w111

Post by Bartman4800 » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 1:51 pm

Interesting, he called the first commodore "a first fully Australian design"...

Did he not know it is a rebadged Opel with a different engine?
I must admit that the choice for a Nissan straight six was a masterstroke, but they made a mistake by putting that old pushrod engine in to begin with...

Bart
1963 220 Sb Sedan "Kermit" (Australian Assembly)
1960 220 Sb Sedan "Zum Schlachten" (Early German Assembly, with a torsion bar spring for the bonnet) - Stored in Country WA
1981 Subaru Brumby 1.8 with Weber and 5-speed box "little utie" - Sold to another enthusiast!
2006 Ford Focus "daily driver"
2002 VW Passat V6 30V Station Wagon (SOLD - This car into a money pit)
2011 Kia Sportage "Missus commuter Bus"
2002 Mitsubishi Rosa Bus (converting it to a motor home)

brother benz68
Pagoda

Post by brother benz68 » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 7:05 pm

Bartman4800 wrote:Interesting, he called the first commodore "a first fully Australian design"...

Did he not know it is a rebadged Opel with a different engine?
I must admit that the choice for a Nissan straight six was a masterstroke, but they made a mistake by putting that old pushrod engine in to begin with...

Bart
A few things he says are questionable including a comment he makes about diesels in a Marque episode but I guess all motor journalists have their opinions and biases - just look at some motoring magazines. He still seems quite ahead of his time even talking about the environment and I especially like when he makes critical comments he does it without being ass.

Mercmad
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w109

Post by Mercmad » Fri 06 Jan, 2017 5:51 pm

I wonder if he tested .05 when he had the gullwing in a slide? He did destroy a few cars tesing them for the program ... a bit like Clarkson but with a few bevvys under the belt. :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

Return to “Off-Topic / Unrelated Chat”