Positive SA Historic Rego changes!

Content NOT RELATED to the Forum. If you have other non-mercedes content to discuss, this is where to do it.
New123
M-100
Model you own: w123

Positive SA Historic Rego changes!

Post by New123 » Wed 21 Dec, 2016 2:26 am

Toby

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Re: Positive SA Historic Rego changes!

Post by CraigB » Wed 21 Dec, 2016 9:25 am

Great news! They got one thing wrong though. I would urge anyone in SA and push for 25 yrs. Victoria and WA are 25 yrs - maybe others and the federal govt last year changed the import procedures to be set at the 25 yr level including lots of examination of basically where the cut off should be for everyday cars and historics. Some argued 10 yrs but i think 25 yrs is good. Me personally i just want to get the '87 Ferrari on historic and that will be there next year if it goes through. But i truly think 25 yrs is more appropriate - eg. r129 etc etc - the sort of cars most people just don't use as everyday cars and at a time of their life when we want to get them into the hands of 'caring custodians' who look after them and can take them for an occasional drive without costing the earth.

I will follow up with some facts that may help in any poli letters.

Thanks Toby
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

CraigB
OZBENZ Admin
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB » Wed 21 Dec, 2016 9:40 am

Just another thought - if any from Victoria, WA or anywhere know of any info to support why this 25yr age limit was adopted then do tell and help get another state inline with this. And if anyone is thinking "no that's too modern" - my thinking is that we shouldn't adopt laws that are exclusive to what a few individuals think and should try and cover as many people as possible ie. inclusive not exclusive. Make the law as tight as you like to make sure people aren't just doing it to dodge normal rego (eg. I am sure our computer boffins could use all these cameras that can check the database to see if car is registered to also count how many days the car is used) - which is the normal argument against historic rego. And yet most of the people i know, including myself only use a small portion of the 90 days and the rest is a donation to the third party scheme. I think 25yo cars, like the W126, are at the stage where we need reasons to rescue them and use them as an occasional use fun car, and fix and maintain them (rather than crush them) and all the local jobs that surround that. The masses are just buying another car from OS and throwing it away when the computers etc. get too expensive to fix.
Craig Baulderstone
Lurch
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL
350SL
500SEC's
560SEL's

Honey500
Pagoda
Model you own: w126

Post by Honey500 » Thu 22 Dec, 2016 6:58 pm

No arguments here Craig....no doubt you would have 1 or 2 cars that fit this bill!!!!!! And just a sneaky 87 Ferrari tucked away :dance:
It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask for permission!

1985 500sec aka Sadie (current project)

Honey500
Pagoda
Model you own: w126

Post by Honey500 » Thu 22 Dec, 2016 6:59 pm

And yes that is Envy you read between these lines!
It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask for permission!

1985 500sec aka Sadie (current project)

Return to “Off-Topic / Unrelated Chat”